Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 218,297 times

Advertisements

I left a job after 5 months b/c of horrible micromanager and a general bad fit with the company. I could afford to leave without having another job lined up so I did. But I want to work. I love working. So I have been looking for a new job. I have good experience so I have been getting calls. The phone screenings go well until they ask about my last job. I say I left to pursue more entrepreneurial roles full time. Or I've said that it wasn't a good fit. I don't want to lie but I feel the truth isn't helping. I don't have a history of job hopping so why is this one short stint hurting my chances? Whatever I say seems to kill the conversation. HR/ Hiring Manager - What is a valid reason or acceptable reason for someone to leave a job that they just hate? Why is it so taboo to quit an unhealthy work environment? What will I need to tell you to convince you that I am willing to work and be committed to your company? What should I say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 PM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
It may not be hurting your chances. You left a job you were unhappy with. In hindsight you should have lined something else up first but that's water over the dam.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,848,042 times
Because you hated the place.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,033,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crradv View Post
Acceptable Reasons for Quitting Job After 3, 4, 5, 6, months... ??? Are there any???
Yeah. It's called not liking the place where you work.

Look, life is too short to hate going in to work every day...I'd say you made the right call.

I don't know why people feel the need to kowtow to employers. I know it's harder these days to find work, but remember that if the roles were reversed, they would terminate you in a second if they felt things weren't working out. It goes both ways--so don't feel bad about leaving.

By the way, I have no qualms about job-hopping, either. I like to pursue new opportunities every few years or so...a change of scenery makes things interesting. If they ask, be honest and say it was a hostile work environment. They might appreciate your candor and the fact that you got out of there so quickly.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,710,102 times
Not being happy with your job is reason enough to pursue other employment. No more complicated than that. Recognize that companies are only interested in your labor, for which you are compensated, and as stated above likely wouldn't hesitate to release you to suit their needs.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,477,283 times
You could say it wasn't a good fit, you weren't happy and you felt it would be better for everyone to remove yourself from the situation before it started to affect your performance. That way you could make yourself look like the good guy.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM

841 posts, read 1,918,299 times
My cousin hated his job a month in but he moved his family to a new area and they tried to hang in there. He refused to quit despite panic attacks and a general sense of never being good enough--which they let him know over and over.

He would not quit though. Eventually they fired him and he gets UE now but is unhappy without a job and hates where he wound up.

Sometimes a job IS a bad fit and you can't always line up a new job but I wish you good luck.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,502,666 times
When explaining the situation , say 1 sentence or less. Don't go round and round into a paragraph of why you resigned. then stay silent and wait for the next question. They have a list of questions and they are waiting for your answer so they can go immediatly to the next question.

Some acceptable reasons are: Long commute(you thought you could do it but 2 hrs each way became too much over time), working hours changed, 70 hr week of work on a salary week after week, duties not what expected(no good growth for your career),middle of the night emergencies on regular basis, company or departmental reorg, potential for raises or promos dried up.

You can say it was not a good fit for your long term career plans. You could have easily learned this after your started once you found out that nobody ever got promoted no matter what or once you learned that they used old technology that was not good for your career growth or that the training that was promised has been cut. Or you could have seen high turnover and you realized it was not a good long term fit for you and you were constantly training folks and after 6 months you had the most seniority on the team.

Or you could have relocated. Or they could have promised you telecommute after a few months or a raise after a few months but then they said no.

here is the issue...some might be thinking you were fired for non performance.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
I say I left to pursue more entrepreneurial roles full time.
This is a terrible explanation. They're left thinking 1) you will leave them in a few months to start your own business; 2) you're lying (and were really fired) because you are already looking for a job; 3) you're looking for a job ecause you failed as an entrepreneur. Would you want to hire someone who will leave in three months, is lying or is a failure? No. Bad excuse.

Quote:
Or I've said that it wasn't a good fit.
This simple sentence without further explanation sounds like you were fired. I worked with a girl who came out of the meeting after she was fired and she said she "wasn't a good fit" as she walked around saying goodbye to her coworkers. It's something managers say when they are firing someone. As a result, it sounds like you were fired when you say it.

Quote:
I don't want to lie but I feel the truth isn't helping. I don't have a history of job hopping so why is this one short stint hurting my chances?
If you only worked there for 3 to 6 months, consider leaving it off your resume entirely.

sware2cod offered some good excuses. Just make sure you pick one that matches the job you're applying to. For example, you can't say you quit because of a long commute if the new job is a long commute too. Just as you can't say you quit due to too much overtime if the new job will require overtime. Etc.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,128,701 times
I was at one employer for 6 months but before that, I was somewhere for 5 years and 3 years before that. Employers aren't going to be too worried if your past work history before the short stint was stable. I have said that I am looking for a new work environment where.... (insert phrase) that new place would have. I placed the 6 month stint on my resume because I was changing careers and it showed that I had at least a little bit of experience in my new field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment