Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 11:47 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The whole area is seriously underserved for hospital beds as it is now. The Asheville MSA which includes Hendersonville and Waynesville has just around 1100 hospital beds for a population of close to 500K, which is about 2/3 the number required for that size and especially so given the population dynamic of 45% over the age of 50. Of the 1100 beds in the MSA. HCA Mission has 850 of them so it's especially dire for those outside a 15-20 minute trip from that facility.
Including Mission, Transylvania in Brevard, Haywood in Waynesville, and Pardee and Advent in Hendersonville, the number of beds is closer to 1350. Still not enough to fill a void left without Mission.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:11 PM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
In addition to trouble with the feds, HCA is being sued by the state of NC for poor quality of care provided. In response, HCA asserted that when they purchased Mission they only promised to keep the hospital open, and never accepted the responsibility to provide high quality care, and therefore the state's lawsuit has no basis. They literally said they can't be held responsible to provide high quality healthcare. Words fail.

https://avlwatchdog.org/hca-mission-...-time-of-sale/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 06:02 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Gotta admit it's a unique way to come back at the lawsuit the way it's written. Their position is they agree to provide the facility ongoing and it's the individual Doctors responsibility to provide a reasonable level of care.

They are simply separating the medical care from the medical facilities, claiming they only contracted to provide the facilities.

Interesting argument from a legal perspective.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:40 PM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Gotta admit it's a unique way to come back at the lawsuit the way it's written. Their position is they agree to provide the facility ongoing and it's the individual Doctors responsibility to provide a reasonable level of care.

They are simply separating the medical care from the medical facilities, claiming they only contracted to provide the facilities.

Interesting argument from a legal perspective.
Yes, its an interesting legal strategy. And an incredibly bad public relations strategy.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:48 PM

643 posts, read 669,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
In addition to trouble with the feds, HCA is being sued by the state of NC for poor quality of care provided. In response, HCA asserted that when they purchased Mission they only promised to keep the hospital open, and never accepted the responsibility to provide high quality care, and therefore the state's lawsuit has no basis. They literally said they can't be held responsible to provide high quality healthcare. Words fail.

https://avlwatchdog.org/hca-mission-...-time-of-sale/
I read that earlier today too, and agree words fail. We (royal we) choose our healthcare providers, in part, based on confidence in their dedication to our well being. Most people investigate options for location of treatment of anything beyond routine. Who on earth would ever choose treatment where they claim no responsibility for quality care???

Old 02-17-2024, 05:40 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
There argument appears to be exactly as if they were a strip mall building owner not taking responsibility for the nail salon that does a miserable job on your nails.

I agree with OW, an incredibly bad PR strategy, but from a legal point of view, it may make sense.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:09 AM

I don’t see how a hospital can overcome the statement we never promised to provide quality healthcare. I doubt many who have a choice, and there are choices with both Pardee and Advent within 15-20 miles, are going to go there. I don’t see how they survive this PR nightmare. I guess they’re assuming they have a captive group who cannot go anywhere else. I think they’re going to be wrong, and when this happens, any existing financial challenges are going to be exacerbated and new ones created. It wouldn’t surprise me to see HCA try to sell Mission. It would likely be a smart move on their part at this point.

Last edited by Lizap; 02-17-2024 at 08:30 AM..

Old 02-17-2024, 10:10 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I don’t see how a hospital can overcome the statement we never promised to provide quality healthcare. I doubt many who have a choice, and there are choices with both Pardee and Advent within 15-20 miles, are going to go there. I don’t see how they survive this PR nightmare. I guess they’re assuming they have a captive group who cannot go anywhere else. I think they’re going to be wrong, and when this happens, any existing financial challenges are going to be exacerbated and new ones created. It wouldn’t surprise me to see HCA try to sell Mission. It would likely be a smart move on their part at this point.
HCA has no remorse or sense of pride in its operations, so don't count on it unless the bottom line turns to red ink. Given Mission's monopoly-like status any change won't happen soon unless they somehow lose accreditation status.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
HCA has no remorse or sense of pride in its operations, so don't count on it unless the bottom line turns to red ink. Given Mission's monopoly-like status any change won't happen soon unless they somehow lose accreditation status.
HCA is for profit - if they start losing a lot of money as a result of this acquisition, they’re likely not going to want to hang onto it. Much depends on the amount of fallout from their recent statement regarding quality. Was at Advent’s ER recently and talked with a couple of people from Asheville who were there. Also I understand Advent has been given permission to build some sort of small healthcare facility closer to Asheville. My guess is there is going to be a good bit of fallout from this, just a question of how much.

Old 02-17-2024, 12:23 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
HCA is for profit - if they start losing a lot of money as a result of this acquisition, they’re likely not going to want to hang onto it. Much depends on the amount of fallout from their recent statement regarding quality. Was at Advent’s ER recently and talked with a couple of people from Asheville who were there. Also I understand Advent has been given permission to build some sort of small healthcare facility closer to Asheville. My guess is there is going to be a good bit of fallout from this, just a question of how much.
According to an article published in late 2022, Advent was chosen by the state over bids by Novant and Mission. The Advent site is at Enka Center, here's some further information in the links below.

https://www.adventhealth.com/hospita...move-mountains
https://health.adventhealth.com/adve...uncombe-county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina