Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 09:43 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,317 times

Advertisements

These are excellent points that I'm glad you brought up because it's another thing I'm trying to avoid. It's one of the reasons why I don't want to be in too close a proximity to ANY city. Since it's going to be my forever home, I don't want to live where "urban sprawl" is likely, whether it's from trendiness or natural growth.

This is going to one of the factors that help me narrow down my locations. I'm looking forward to exploring and enjoying these areas. I just don't want to live in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We have friends who 15 years ago did much investigating and researching in Western North Carolina and finally settled on Franklin, NC. They have a beautiful place bordering on state land.

Since then it has been becoming more and more trendy and prices have begun to really climb. Two more of our friends have retired there.

It’s like Johnson City in Tennessee, only ten years ago it was a hidden gem, now like many other towns it has been discovered and prices have really climbed.

Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 09:46 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
OP...do yourself a huge favor and come across to the north/west side of the mountains. Humidity is a lot lower...Carolina summers can get oppressive, especially coming from the northland as you are.

Explore Northeast Tennessee.....same delights as western Carolina, but lower humidity...and NO State Income Tax. Saves you several percent of your retirement income right there.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:46 AM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
We all have our requirements and priorities. 35 miles is waaaaay too close to any city for my liking.
I'd strongly urge you to reconsider that. Burnsville is also 35 miles from Asheville so I guess its out? There's really no reason for that. There's no way urban sprawl from Asheville is going to ever go that far.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:18 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
We all have our requirements and priorities. 35 miles is waaaaay too close to any city for my liking.
Understand, but please make sure you're doing an apples to apples comparison.

I spent almost 10 years in Minnesota living in the St. Cloud Area, Uptown in Minneapolis, and Mankato (briefly.)

Asheville is far more comparable to Duluth or Rochester from a size perspective and much more comparable to Duluth from a remotenes perspective.

In that, 20 miles outside of Asheville especially off the I40 corridor, it's about as remote as you're going to get.

It isn't like being in Minneapolis and you drive 35 miles and you're in Albertville and then a little further up and you're in St. Cloud.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:30 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,815,699 times
Here is a house that just showed up in my Redfin feed:

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Sylva/223-...home/131820067

Old 01-04-2024, 10:37 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Highlands interests me but, from reviews by locals on another site, it's really more of a rich person's tourist town that's been hugely affected by Atlanta. Local employees are frustrated with the demanding expectations from the rich locals/tourists during the tourist season. During off-season, a lot of businesses shut down. I don't know if this is true or not, but it's what I read and why I'm trying to get clarification on things like this.

Brevard gets a lot of high praise wherever I've researched but I've learned that they definitely lean more liberal, like Asheville. Great for visits but probably not for me to live in. (I have to start narrowing locations down somehow!)

Banner Elk is a beautiful area. I'd want to explore the topography more there due to the amount of snow they get. The only property I've seen there that I really like is this one, which is pretty big for one person, expensive (but stunning), and sounds like it's in a subdivision so I would want to learn about the HOA situation (since I'm against them). https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...47309185_zpid/

Sparta is farther east than I care to be and I didn't find any properties I like in Franklin yet.
You will find that Highlands is not a good fit. It is very expensive, primarily second and third homes. Same for Brevard, as it has a considerable liberal population.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Agreed.

OP - I lived in Iowa for a year, so I see where you're coming from about the distance and "proximity to a city." 35 miles outside of Minneapolis is still probably going to be heavily influenced by Minneapolis. 35 miles outside of Asheville isn't going to be dominated by Asheville. 35 miles north of Asheville is into TN. Out there, the population density is a lot lower, so people travel larger distances to cities.
This is why I, in my opinion, this forum is invaluable to me. Since I can't be there in person yet, and since my views and preferences are skewed by my own experiences, I realize that my experiences aren't necessarily going to apply in WNC. I've done all the research I can without being there, except to get actual WNC people's experienced advice.

I'll try to keep more of an open mind about being closer to Asheville. Thank you for understanding that 35 miles outside of Minneapolis is still, basically, Minneapolis. With one last move in me, I'm trying not to make that mistake in WNC.

I hope everyone will correct ANY misunderstanding, misinformation, or misconceptions I might have about WNC this way. I'm not thin-skinned or precious! I want to make my decision based on truth, not false notions.

Quote:
In western NC, the "cities" are mostly small towns with a few restaurants, gas stations, a grocery store, and maybe a few other services and stores.

Asheville doesn't have that kind of influence. A lot of locals that live that far out basically use Asheville a service city for shopping, medical, etc. - they don't really like the "vibe" of Asheville.
That fairly describes me, too. Thanks for removing a lot of the stress/pressure I put myself under for picking the perfect location. I can honestly say I'm a lot more relaxed about it now.

Quote:
While most of the areas you're looking at in WNC are "red," politics isn't the deciding factor on things like it is in TN.
This is a big thing I learned here and it's endeared me even more to WNC and the people. I hope folks will understand that my approach to the political aspect of this comes purely out my own experience of living in a very heavily political area where political views rule most everything. That's NOT who I am as a person. I am the "live and let live because I don't care what your political views are as long as you're respectful" kind of person.

Quote:
I will say that a lot of the natives are frustrated with outsiders coming in who are perceived to have money and are driving up the cost of living, regardless of politics. My girlfriend lives twenty minutes outside of Asheville in Madison County - politically, it's much different than Asheville, but politics does not come up in day-to-day business Madison County the way it does in similar, rural counties in TN.
As much as I understand this, because of what I've seen it's done to Montana and Idaho, the fact is, it's not going to change. It happens everywhere. This is a factor that I can't control so I can't let it influence where I choose to move to. If folks in the area want to hold that against me, I can't control that either. But, that says a whole lot more about them than it does me. I know who I am. I'm not perfect by any means. I'm not above, or better than, any other person on this earth. But what I am, to those who give me a chance, is one of the best friends you could ask for.

Quote:
What is your budget? That's going to be a deciding factor as well. If you can really afford the seven figure homes you've linked, obviously you can live anywhere, but prices will generally go down somewhat the farther away from Asheville or Boone you get. That said, TN is going to be quit a bit cheaper than WNC, and western VA will be cheaper still. TN has the state income tax savings. VA has lower property prices, probably much lower total property taxes, and lower sales taxes across the board.
Budget is definitely not a deciding factor for me. I'm not saying "money is no object," but I've prepared my entire life for this move. I've lived far below my means my entire life to prepare for it. Status, possessions, luxuries, etc., have never meant a thing to me. A life is measured by experiences and the people you gather along the way. I avoided debt (car, credit card, houses, loans, etc.,) I'm cash-on-the-barrelhead only, owning only the things I actually use on a weekly basis. I've even been homeless. Twice. I currently live in a studio apartment (445 sq ft) with all the original features from the 70's, including the butcher block built into the countertop! (Which I covered in peel and stick tile from Home Depot!)

All that to say that I wanted to retire comfortably and, through sacrifices and God's blessings/wisdom, I can do that now. I'm not going to ruled by a budget when it comes to buying a house and property. The great thing about this is what I've learned along the way. I still like small places and still have no interest in owning much. When I move, everything I'm taking with me fits in one suitcase, one carry on, and three Rubbermaid bins that measure 18" x 21". That's it. And one of those bins are just books. I still prefer and value people over everything else. I'm not concerned about taxes. The tax situation in the U.S. is going to change completely. (To say any more would derail this thread to no end.)

I originally chose TN based on my past experience there and due to the political climate, even though I'm not outspoken politically. Then I learned about WNC and got hooked. I explored VA but it didn't resonate with me. I desperately wanted West Virginia to be my #1 choice (amazing people and nature) but couldn't find anything in the areas I wanted to be in. I tried to give the northern parts of SC and GA a chance but it's getting too far south outside of the kind of winters I'd like. So, for roses and thorns, WNC is stuck with me!

So, I'm just looking for as small of a house as possible (that doesn't need much renovation) on as much land as I need to give me the privacy, peace, and quiet that I need.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You will find that Highlands is not a good fit. It is very expensive, primarily second and third homes. Same for Brevard, as it has a considerable liberal population.
That's exactly what I learned. Gorgeous area but it's not really a community and that's important to me, even if I have to struggle a bit, and have patience, to fit into it. The really great thing though is this: I still get to visit and enjoy EVERY ONE of these little towns once I move there!

Old 01-04-2024, 10:52 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
I suggest you come for a visit here. Posters here have given some excellent suggestions but ultimately you really need to make several trips here at different times of the year to see for yourself. You might focus on 2 areas: Burnsville/Banner Elk/Spruce Pine and Franklin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina