Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 07:34 AM

54 posts, read 46,198 times

Advertisements

Using the Flightradar24 app, I've noted that Lake James is in the flight path of planes headed to ATL. Someone who camped there mentioned that there was plane noise. Has anyone noticed plane noise (public or private) and could it be an issue?
TIA for your time.

MM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 08:35 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Have you checked the flight path of planes leaving/arriving in Asheville? It is much closer than the Atlanta Airport.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:38 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Regarding AVL, there may be a few planes arriving/departing from/to the northeast but they should be at sufficient altitude so that noise should not really be much of an issue in the Lake James vicinity. Regarding ATL, this should be even less of an issue since planes are at a higher altitude when passing over. I wouldn’t let this be a concern.

Last edited by Lizap; 12-05-2023 at 09:50 AM..

Old 12-05-2023, 10:19 AM

Yes, I have also noted that there are occasionally planes heading to Greenville, NC and Lexington, KY that are at lower altitudes. We currently live in Clearwater and are in flight paths, which we were not aware of prior to moving here. (Before I knew of Flightradar24!) We're hoping to avoid the same issue.

I greatly appreciate everyone who takes the time to reply. (We're planning to rent in the area sometime in 2024 to assess Lake James as a retirement option, but if flight path noise may be an issue for residents, we'll need to rethink our plan.)

Thank you!

MM

Old 12-05-2023, 11:56 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Lake James is roughly 200 miles from ATL. Theres no way that planes headed there could be an issue at LJ.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM

So the major airlines aren't an issue. Got it. The online review that mentioned plane noise must have been referring to private planes, which I have now noted, unfortunately, fly over at altitudes of less than 5,000 ft.
I'll make note of the altitudes of the various aircraft that flies over us here, (Coast Guard, medical and private helicopters as well as private planes.), for comparison.

Thank you!

MM

Old 12-11-2023, 07:05 PM

While researching the Lake James area, I've come across folks discussing fighter jets from Seymour Johnson AFB flying low through Linville Gorge on a regular basis. According to a newspaper article, the jets fly at a speed of 600 miles per hour at an altitude between 100-500'.
Has anyone here personally experienced these flights while on Lake James? Any information as to the frequency of these flights?
We've visited Lake James, but obviously not often enough or long enough to have experienced the various aircraft activity that we're now aware of. After 38 years of life on military installations, we're searching for a beautiful, *peaceful* place to retire.
Thank you for any information that you can provide.
MM

Old 12-12-2023, 04:41 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I can't answer your question, but Shaw AFB in South Carolina is closer than Seymour Johnson. Military flights sound more sensible than commercial flights. You might check a public relations site at Shaw AFB.

Correction: The base may be in Knoxville or Tullahoma, TN. There is a video on FB complete with sound, showing an F-16 flying near the bottom of Linville Gorge. I would not be happy with that, especially if I had done my time in the service.

You might also check YouTube for more recent flights.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-12-2023 at 05:21 AM..

Old 12-12-2023, 05:20 AM

I appreciate your reply. I spent quite a bit of time last night watching YouTube videos of fighter jets flying through Linville Gorge. Still not sure how loud it is at the eastern side of Lake James. We're currently still planning to rent there to get a more complete feel (and listen!!) for the area, but it, sadly, no longer seems promising as a retirement destination for us.
Thank you.

MM
(Note my username-29 military moves under our belts. We truly need to get our next move right!)

Old 12-12-2023, 06:14 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
We have relatives in the Destin/Panama City area so I get it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina