Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2022, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 11,956 times

Advertisements

Found se beautiful property in Boone, however now I have discovered Highlands. Anyone have thoughts on each? I figure Boone may have more to do with ASU there but Iay be wrong. Average weather seems similar. Any thoughts or suggestions?? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 09:43 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,307,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeg05 View Post
Found se beautiful property in Boone, however now I have discovered Highlands. Anyone have thoughts on each? I figure Boone may have more to do with ASU there but Iay be wrong. Average weather seems similar. Any thoughts or suggestions?? Thank you in advance!
Completely different. Boone is a college town while Highlands is a small, remote mountain village, made up of many second and third homes with few year round residents. Boone has alot more snow. Are you looking for a second home or year round residence? If year round, I’d go with Boone. There are so many great towns in WNC. Have you considered Black Mountain, Brevard, Waynesville, Hendersonville? If you haven’t done so, you really need to visit and explore the area.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:15 PM

11 posts, read 11,956 times
Sorry! This would be a second home, cabin more like. Trying to get out of the summer heat of Charleston, SC but also want some decent amenities near by.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:49 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,307,298 times
Quote:
Sorry! This would be a second home, cabin more like. Trying to get out of the summer heat of Charleston, SC but also want some decent amenities near by.
Since this is a second home, I’d choose Highlands or Cashiers. This is a beautiful, scenic area with good restaurants and specialty boutiques. The season runs from May to October; the towns and winding roads leading to them can get crowded during this time. We also liked visiting during the off-season, when there are relatively few people. The area is known for waterfalls and outdoor activities. A hike up Whiteside Mountain and Sunset Rock at sunset are musts. Driving time is about 5 hours to each, so this is not a factor. I’ll never forget the first time we visited this area some 30 years ago - it was a magical experience for us. We kept visiting over the years, and the love of the general area eventually led us to retire near Hendersonville.

Last edited by Lizap; 03-12-2022 at 11:59 PM..

Old 03-13-2022, 11:29 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
Quote:
What kind of "decent amenities" were you looking for ?

Old 04-04-2022, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 876 times
Default Highlands/Cashiers

There is nothing quite like the Highlands/Cashiers area. It's beauty and remoteness make it a perfect getaway from city life. Both have upscale restaurants and a lot going on in the summer months. Winter is gorgeous and offers amazing views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina