Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:18 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,363 times

Advertisements

These are photos of buildings in Cataloochee Valley inside The Great Smoky Mountains Park in Haywood County, taken by my daughter.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 PM

And two more.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-06-2008, 11:01 AM

33 posts, read 173,682 times
Bear creek

Those are nice pictures of the Valley. We go over there once or twice a year to view the elk. We take a picnic lunch or actually supper and eat it on the picnic table down at the Palmer house. Then go watch the elk brouse in the valley. Late Sept and Oct is awsome when the bulls are bugleing.

The last time we were there wild hogs had torn up the place around the Caldwell house, I shouldn't say this with all the tree huggers on here but the NPS had sharp shooter with night vision scopes shooting them at night. I bet someone had some fine pork!!

I read where you are from Swain County so you should know where I'm from by my handle.

BadTiger

Old 06-06-2008, 12:42 PM

I grew up on a mountain side in Jackson County. Way back upon the mountain. I had some friends from Brevard.
Elk.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-06-2008, 01:09 PM

33 posts, read 173,682 times
Actually Bear Creek I was raised directly across the street from the Gloucester Lumber Company Store in down town Rosman. My dad was the timber cruiser (buyer) for the company and my mom worked in the store. The store was torn down about 20 years ago but it still lives in my heart. I still live about 2 1/2 miles from town on US 178. Been all over the world but there is no place like home.

BadTiger

Old 06-06-2008, 02:16 PM

I was on one side of Cashiers and you were on the other. This is a photo from my front yard in the 1950's. I hope people don't mind me posting this. Those mountains in the distance are now covered with houses. I used to log wood out with my Dad, using a horse off this mountain.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-13-2008, 10:06 AM

131 posts, read 696,293 times
I live in Upstate South Carolina and here are some pictures from Day Trips into WNC

Here are a few from last year at Grandfather Mtn.

Craggy Gardens Overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Black Balsam Mtn on BRP

Roan Mtn

Great Smoky Mtns National Park

Hope you enjoyed them!!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
My absolute favorite daytrip/weekend-getaway is Highlands, North Carolina. It is the highest incorporated town east of the Rockies, and is a fabulously quaint arts & crafts mountain village, merely a 1-2 hour drive from my home in Greenville, South Carolina. During the summer, this part of the region is packed with travelers and visitors seeking relief from the heat. There are endless amounts of outdoor activities to take in around these villages - including nearby Cashiers, Lake Toxaway and Sapphire Valley - but there are plenty of awesome shops, galleries, inns, and restaurants to enjoy in town as well. Here are several photos I shot in 2006. Enjoy!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:11 AM

131 posts, read 696,293 times
Once again,

Great Pictures Skyliner. Maybe one day my pictures will turn out as-well as your pictures. Love the daytrip to Highlands, NC one of my favorite trips as-well.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:53 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
My absolute favorite daytrip/weekend-getaway is Highlands, North Carolina. It is the highest incorporated town east of the Rockies...
I love your photos and I love visiting Highlands, but although the Highlands Chamber of Commerce says that Highlands is the highest incorporated town east of the Mississippi River at 4,118 ft, the town of Beech Mountain, NC (incorporated in 1981) is at 5,500+ ft elevation. Guess there's a "battle of chambers"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina