Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:01 PM

8,115 posts, read 6,803,609 times

Advertisements

What type of wood flooring do you have motordavid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:53 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,338,764 times
The fan I am talking about is outside on my porch. I just want to feel the breeze from it, even if the air is hot. I think the drop pole they used is too short. It looks like it's about 2 feet. The air doesn't reach me. The electrician is coming over on Tuesday and I am going to ask him about lowering the fan.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:35 AM

4,801 posts, read 10,666,704 times
Thank you for the props, peeps!

Wood floor is Australian cypress: hard but brittle, if that makes sense. It was installed/initial sanded by a wood butcher.
First pic is after the refinish job we got a monthish ago...

House and its fans are nearly 14 yrs old, and when we built house remote control fans were very limited in supply, esp for sourcing in western NC in 2000/2001. Now they are normal/std.

Back to weather: besides the recent warm spell, it has become quite damp again from the near daily rains and T Storms. Not as wet as the past two 'summers', but quite wet and humid. A/C, even our very old low tech units, is necessary at night for awhile.
GL, mD

Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,632,245 times
Long-range forecasting indicate by early July a trough will set up over the East, while those in the West will heat up (hopefully bringing cooler temps to the Carolinas). According the local NWS office, Asheville only had one day of 90 degree (or above) temps in the past 2 summers. In 2013, "the summer without a summer", I recall only experiencing only a few weeks of true hot and humid weather (in the Upstate).

Nevertheless, this week looks absolutely blistering hot for those in Upstate SC and NC Piedmont with temps reaching near 100 by mid-week. The city of Asheville (and those around 2,200 feet) will see low 90's this week.

As many have stated, Western NC is all about elevation - an extreme example of this: Mt Mitchell - elevation 6,699 feet - yesterday's high there was only 63 (this was recorded at 6,200 feet - see Mt Mitchell's current temp here).

Old 06-21-2015, 08:42 AM

MotorDavid,
Your house is beautiful. I love the double story great room.

Today feels much less humid. I moved to Asheville last September and it was hot. As long as this weather isn't the average for this time of year, I can tolerate a heat spell. Hopefully, next summer will be cooler.
I cut my grass early this morning. Is it OK to cut grass when it's wet? I don't know anything about grass.

Last edited by organic_donna; 06-21-2015 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,231,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Nancy, I was in the Smokies at "my" creek last week and it was pleasantly temperate, even at the parking slot up above the creek bed. This was at 1500' so it wasn't the elevation but the cool water/air from the higher elevations affecting the microclimate. But by August it seems you have to sit right by the creek for welcome relief.

I have noticed over the past several years it is quite common for the months to flip-flop. Since we have been experiencing typical July weather in June I will predict this July will be more temperate.
Thanks for the point about months flip-flopping. I was beginning to wonder if the seasons were starting to slide backwards a bit, I know you all are discussing Asheville and WNC, but if I may be permitted to say, we here in FL are experiencing the thick intense heat that usually comes in July, and last fall it seems the cooler weather break came a couple of weeks early. And the intense hotter weather here came on earlier and more suddenly this spring. Which is why this thread interested me, I guess we're not the only region experiencing this sort of phenomenon.

I do think the storm systems that have hit Texas, most recently Tropical Storm Bill, have had an effect on weather in the Southeast of the country.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:36 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,520,950 times
Donna, wondering if your porch is shaded? Ours is not and afternoons can get hot if temps. are high. We installed bamboo blinds on the outside so it blocks the sun before it hits the porch and that helps a lot. After a summer here you know why ice tea is so popular, cold caffeine keeps you from just becoming a total slug. Being a yankee I don't like it super sweet but I do drink gallons of it!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:52 AM

My porch is very shady. I have several trees in my backyard.

How do I post a picture on this forum?

Old 06-21-2015, 12:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,004,175 times
MotorDave, do you want to adopt a senior citizen? I'm quiet and don't eat much!

Well, I'm packing today and it's very sunny & warm, even up here in the forest. Still, I didn't use the a/c last night. I've always had an inexplicable fear of ceiling fans. I probably saw a horror flick when I was a kid in which someone was decapitated by a ceiling fan. If they're high enough, however, they don't bother me.

All this talk about ceiling fans made me curious, so I did a little reading and learned a lot. As I've written before, C-D isn't just a message board or relocation forum, it's a learning tool.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I run our fans in the opposite direction, (nearly every room has a fan in both the FL winter house and our NC Mtn home):

Summer, counter clockwise so the air is pushed downward and has a cooling effect on us, even from the warmer air near high ceiling, and then clockwise in winter to draw up air, mix with warmer air near ceiling and spill down side walls.

Obviously, adjust fan speed to comfort level...

In our Mtn home, the main room fan is a bit high, so I stand on upper balcony and use a long stick to flip the switch.

My fan is running clockwise. Could that be why I don't feel the air?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina