Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:07 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
So true regarding service people. Amazing how they not only don't show up, but don't even call back to say they aren't coming and then ignore followup calls afterward. It's the same in Greenville by the way. Nowhere else that I've lived have the service people been this way.
Down here in the Piedmont as well. I tell people to get at least six listings for any service you need done. You'll leave messages for the six and be lucky if three call back. Two will schedule appointments, one might show up. If they don't, it will take at least three calls, with both of you doing phone tag, for them to lay out some long-winded excuse and promise to reschedule. Even then, they'll likely be late, but not call to explain why.

It's been that way for nearly all the service calls we've placed: the well, the septic cleaning, getting someone to come work on the furnace .... I think we finally lucked into maintenance on the HVAC. We pay for a maintenance contract; two visits each year. Part of the contract is that they have to show up as scheduled or call with the reason why not. So far, it's worked out well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 14,774 times
I've been thinking seriously about moving to Asheville but having second thoughts now after reading these posts. I'm a nurse and there seems to be plenty of jobs in Asheville. Winston-Salem is another consideration. Looking at house-sharing to save on rent also.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:53 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud76 View Post
I've been thinking seriously about moving to Asheville but having second thoughts now after reading these posts. I'm a nurse and there seems to be plenty of jobs in Asheville. Winston-Salem is another consideration. Looking at house-sharing to save on rent also.

You will have better earnings in the larger area of Winston-Salem. Highly rated hospitals there, and good proximity as well to Greensboro. Clemmons is a lovely town outside of WS, and there are others. You are not far from the mountains there, but you are not in the mountains. Best of luck on your search.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:20 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Let's face it. It's a luxury choice to live anywhere in the Asheville area.

There will always be some lucky people who are offered a job there. Some people are able to open up a successful business there. MOST people either have to be comfortably retired or self-employed to even entertain the idea.

I had wanted to live in the area for ages. Only now that I'm middle-aged and self-employed can I choose to do that. Considering that the further away you go from Asheville, the cheaper the real estate becomes, it's still a luxury choice even when it's possible. Heck, it's cheaper to buy a house in Atlanta!

Something else to consider is that if Asheville managed to attract a lot of big new businesses, the area would become as congested as most cities as more employees streamed in. The charm, the lifestyle, the open spaces and wildlife would suffer and the area would not be nearly as desirable as it is.

Some locals think that has already happened.

It's a Catch 22, so be careful what you wish for.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:16 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I would not agree on anything but the better job market. Once you step 5 feet outside of the downtown proper greenville is a dump. I can't see how anyone could say greenville "puts asheville to shame" when looking at both cities as a whole and not just downtowns. Sure greenville has a fancy downtown but thats it. To get anywhere else is a nightmare as the traffic sucks and everything is sprawl sprawl sprawl.
We visited Asheville as a potential relocation site this past May and one of several things we did not like about it was sprawl sprawl sprawl. Interstates in every direction and strip malls, plastic signs, bill boards, narrow twisty streets, endless buildings and houses between the neighboring towns, no apparent zoning, no idyllic countryside like we imagined. Mountains and some of the gated communities looked nice but the sprawl was too much. If your saying Greenville is sprawl sprawl sprawl compared to Asheville that is unimaginable to me? Anyway, good luck to the original poster and so glad for the USA and the wonderful diversity of places to live.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
We visited Asheville as a potential relocation site this past May and one of several things we did not like about it was sprawl sprawl sprawl. Interstates in every direction and strip malls, plastic signs, bill boards, narrow twisty streets, endless buildings and houses between the neighboring towns, no apparent zoning, no idyllic countryside* like we imagined. Mountains and some of the gated communities looked nice but the sprawl was too much. If your saying Greenville is sprawl sprawl sprawl compared to Asheville that is unimaginable to me? Anyway, good luck to the original poster and so glad for the USA and the wonderful diversity of places to live.
*Maybe you didn't get out into the smaller idylic towns in country ?; e.g. Black Mountain, Weaverville, Waynesville, Hendersonville area (Mills River), Brevard, and others. If you didn't venture out, and only saw the urban sprawl branching out from the center of AVL, you missed a lot. Greenville would not even be a consideration for you, or anywhere near Greenville, it has very dense population and all that comes with that, lots of manufacturing etc. Not sure where you are in VA, but the Shenandoah Valley is beautiful. Damascus, Abbington, etc. Some gorgeous country in eastern TN too, just over the NC line. Greenville TN, Jonesborough TN, Maryville TN? Nice.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
*Maybe you didn't get out into the smaller idylic towns in country ?; e.g. Black Mountain, Weaverville, Waynesville, Hendersonville area (Mills River), Brevard, and others. If you didn't venture out, and only saw the urban sprawl branching out from the center of AVL, you missed a lot. Greenville would not even be a consideration for you, or anywhere near Greenville, it has very dense population and all that comes with that, lots of manufacturing etc. Not sure where you are in VA, but the Shenandoah Valley is beautiful. Damascus, Abbington, etc. Some gorgeous country in eastern TN too, just over the NC line. Greenville TN, Jonesborough TN, Maryville TN? Nice.
We did not venture north (Mars Hill?) and did not get to Weaverville, Waynesville, or Hendersonville. We did spend much of one day in Black Mountain and that was our favorite area. That said we were visiting to look at Asheville and move into a "small city" walkable, bikeable lifestyle and that is where Asheville did not work for us. The other towns like Black Mountain (next to an interstate ) are too small for what we are looking for.

We currently live in the northern Shenandoah Valley area as well as a second home in Hardy County WV. (which we have for sale) Both of these areas have an abundance of idyllic countrysides and beautiful mountains so I guess our expectations were too high and honestly hard to beat? We have since visited a small city location out west that we really like and have our multi year sights set to move there. Thank you for your reply, I love reading about places, how people view where they live and what they like.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Snownut,

It's a shame you didn't spend enough time exploring outside of Asheville. There is an abundance of beautiful countryside outside of it and in the rest of WNC also.

I live close to Clay County and all I see is gorgeous countryside.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Snownut,

It's a shame you didn't spend enough time exploring outside of Asheville. There is an abundance of beautiful countryside outside of it and in the rest of WNC also.

I live close to Clay County and all I see is gorgeous countryside.
Shooting Star

I am sure there are many beautiful areas in WNC that look very much like areas of VA and WV where we live now.

Just outside of Black Mountain was very nice, loved our drive on the parkway and the views from Mount Mitchell. The issue for us was the City of Asheville was not a fit for us, not the distant suburbs. We already live in beautiful countryside, I have all my 46 years.

We are wanting to relocate to a small city (50-200K) that is very bike friendly and walkable to services, lots of parks, good restaurants, cultural activities, yet with close "undeveloped" natural land nearby.

That seems hard to fine on the east coast which is why it looks like the west coast will be home for us.

We are blessed with so much beauty all over the USA. Enjoy your gorgeous countryside in Clay County.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Shooting Star

I am sure there are many beautiful areas in WNC that look very much like areas of VA and WV where we live now.

Just outside of Black Mountain was very nice, loved our drive on the parkway and the views from Mount Mitchell. The issue for us was the City of Asheville was not a fit for us, not the distant suburbs. We already live in beautiful countryside, I have all my 46 years.

We are wanting to relocate to a small city (50-200K) that is very bike friendly and walkable to services, lots of parks, good restaurants, cultural activities, yet with close "undeveloped" natural land nearby.

That seems hard to fine on the east coast which is why it looks like the west coast will be home for us.

We are blessed with so much beauty all over the USA. Enjoy your gorgeous countryside in Clay County.

Just curious, would you tell us where on the west coast? Happy for you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina