Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 16,376 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've decided to take an opportunity and hit the mountains of WNC! I'm born and raised in NY and have been living and working in the metro area my whole life. I will be relocating from southwestern Connecticut. Absolutely fell in love with the mountains when I visited, and being used to the Catskills up in NY, it was an immediate "I NEED TO BE HERE" kinda thing.

I suppose my main point of this thread is to get a better feeling for the areas surrounding Asheville - I need to find an apartment/cottage/cabin for rent and I will be heading down next week. I've done my fair share of apartment hunting and it's safe to say I don't really want to be in one of those complexes. I'm really into the idea of being 30 min (the farthest I can comfortable afford) from downtown Asheville as I will be working off of 25 in Biltmore Forest area.

So far, I've found some places around Fairview, and it seems the most enticing to me from my gut feeling anyway. Can anyone give me any info on this section of Asheville, i.e. in terms of safeness, cleanliness, people, shopping, etc? Also, info on the surrounding neighborhoods, if that's the right term for 'em, would be awesome. I apologize as I'm sure there are a ton of "Asheville relocation" threads, but I like some personalization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:41 PM

34 posts, read 69,585 times
The area is wonderful with lovely people from all over the states because of many new housing developments ,real estate is high and downtown depending where you live is more than 20 miles away.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:03 PM

358 posts, read 982,593 times
I've lived in Fairview my entire life. No need to worry about your safety. No one's gonna bother ya, haha. Definitely a clean place, too. You're not gonna find litter just lying around. There's a mix of people in Fairview, from the working class to people with some money. And most of it's all intertwined. Everyone's friendly, for sure. There's not a whole lot for you in terms of shopping, though. You'll definitely have to go into town for any serious purchases.

Fairview isn't as populated as say, Leicester (pronounced "Lester") or Enka/Candler, which is a good thing. I do worry we'll someday be headed in that direction, though.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Thank you both, I am glad to hear the positive reviews. I am not worried too much about shopping, if there is a grocery store within 10-20 miles that is no big deal.
To pick both of your brains a bit more: Are the areas wooded or are there a lot of houses packed into one place? I suppose what I'm getting at - is it common for one household to have say, 7 acres of land in Fairview? I would love to rent something on a large enough plot of land. Also, in terms of hunting, is the area hunter-friendly - gunshots in the morning, people OK with deer hanging in the front yard, etc.?
Also, regarding trailer parks: many of the trailers look very nice, but are they safe communities generally? My perspective of a trailer park up north my be a bit skewed in comparison to the south...

Old 11-03-2011, 04:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
OP

I may be misunderstanding your last post, but if you are looking for places for hunting, firing weapons, or hanging deer in the front yard then Fairview is not the place for you.

I don't know where you would go to rent a place with 7 acres isolated enough for weapons firing and hunting. and be able to commute to your Asheville job.

just my opinion. BTW I love Fairview and would gladly live there.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
OP

I may be misunderstanding your last post, but if you are looking for places for hunting, firing weapons, or hanging deer in the front yard then Fairview is not the place for you.

I don't know where you would go to rent a place with 7 acres isolated enough for weapons firing and hunting. and be able to commute to your Asheville job.

just my opinion. BTW I love Fairview and would gladly live there.
No, you did not misunderstand. Thank you for clearing that up though. I was trying to better understand the kind of neighborhood it is. The 7 acres/firing weapons were just examples (I apologize if they were a bit extreme ) I was using. In terms of being 'isolated enough' I'm sure I could find something like that within 45 min. to an hour+ but that is just not realistic for me right now. Would you happen to know if there is state hunting land close to the Fairview area? I know it sounds like I'm pushing hunting but it is regardless of whether I can hunt or not - my main agenda is to be in a safe area close enough to downtown/place of work.

Is there anything else about Fairview I may need to know? Otherwise, thank you to previous posters.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplissken View Post
Hello,

I've decided to take an opportunity and hit the mountains of WNC! I'm born and raised in NY and have been living and working in the metro area my whole life. I will be relocating from southwestern Connecticut. Absolutely fell in love with the mountains when I visited, and being used to the Catskills up in NY, it was an immediate "I NEED TO BE HERE" kinda thing.

I suppose my main point of this thread is to get a better feeling for the areas surrounding Asheville - I need to find an apartment/cottage/cabin for rent and I will be heading down next week. I've done my fair share of apartment hunting and it's safe to say I don't really want to be in one of those complexes. I'm really into the idea of being 30 min (the farthest I can comfortable afford) from downtown Asheville as I will be working off of 25 in Biltmore Forest area.

So far, I've found some places around Fairview, and it seems the most enticing to me from my gut feeling anyway. Can anyone give me any info on this section of Asheville, i.e. in terms of safeness, cleanliness, people, shopping, etc? Also, info on the surrounding neighborhoods, if that's the right term for 'em, would be awesome. I apologize as I'm sure there are a ton of "Asheville relocation" threads, but I like some personalization

You may be more interested in being in Madison County for reasonable acreage, tolerance of neighbors for hunting and so forth. There is some beautiful land in Madison County; and finding what you are looking for, possibility of renting out there would be better, and fit your needs for a 30 minute commute. Always check with the zoning regs and sheriff's department(s) relative to shooting ordinances.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
^^ yes, this, you do NOT want to do that stuff in Buncombe County where Asheville is. NO NO NO. There is a hunting season in the mountains, but you cannot hang up any bloody dead animal in your yard in the Asheville/ Buncombe County vicinity without a LOT of resentment, animal control officers, neighbors calling the cops, and finally winding up in jail with fines. This is a civilized, animal-loving, very tough-minded mix of intelligent folks with good common sense here, and while Madison County is fine with all that, Buncombe County is not. We like art, books, and music. We like photographs of animals, not dead animals. Grocery stores are for food. It's bad enough we've encroached on wild animal lands, so how come we gotta shoot them? Now, I don't mind a hunter, I don't mind a lodge with animal heads, I don't mind the notion of live and let live. I also don't mind if a bear chases you to death whilst you're out there creeping around on their property. In fact, do you know that this past summer, a bear walked right into downtown Asheville, around behind the police/fire station, and back out, and nobody even thought of shooting the beast, rather tourists took pics.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-05-2011 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
I SO love your post, gigimac !!!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Ditto on that GigiMac... thank you, populated areas are NOT conducive at all for what the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina