Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2006, 10:22 AM

16 posts, read 37,480 times

Advertisements

We are traveling to Hendersonville, NC next week and would like to get with a realtor (preferably Christian) to search for homes. Any ideas? mm34b was kind enough to give us a website and we have posted on it, but want to cover all our bases to get as much info as possible before we leave. Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by SC&KC; 08-16-2006 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 11:32 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,771 times
I have some ideas. If you're looking to own a home, I hope they help. If you're just curious and aren't looking to purchase a home, they won't make as much sense.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the length of the post.

I'd be looking to build some real rapport with a Realtor. It'll pay off sooner than you think. Because if things go well, you'll soon find yourself sitting down and writing an offer with somebody and the more comfortable and able to communicate you are with that particular person, the better.

I'd want to shop for a Realtor on the phone before I had a Realtor show me houses. This may seem like a waste of your time, but it can be done quickly and will pay off handsomely in short order. Just call one and ask what sort of practice the Realtor has. Does he/she belong to the local MLS? Does he/she
work more with buyers or with sellers? Can he/she give you a quick explanation of what "agency" options buyers have in his/her state? Can he/she overnight you a relocation package with maps, listings and brochures tailored to your interests in a day or so? Is he/she available during the dates you're going to be visiting? Can he/she recommend a www site with school and neighborhood information for you to look at? Does she/he have a sense of humour? Don't be afraid to ask questions. A good Realtor will thank you for asking good questions. People are all different, and so are the different laws and common practices in different states! There are things a good Realtor can tell you which will save you money and time. The wrong Realtor can cost you both.

In MY office we won't REPRESENT both the buyer and the seller, and we don't practise dual agency or limited agency. I'm either representing the seller or the buyer. The difference between a customer and a client relationship is important.

Realtor is always capitalized. Realtors are does paying members of The National Association of Realtors. Having a real estate license doesn't make a licensee a Realtor. I think you're well advised to look for a Realtor - who has a CBR or ABR designation. Those designations attest to training and experience in assisting buyers as CLIENTS and helping buyers understand how the laws of agency in a particular state work. And agent who isn't willing to discuss who his/her legal duties are to, and how he/she gets paid isn't worth meeting with in my opinion, although this discussion can best take place in person.
In the state of Vermont, real estate agents are required to discuss these issues "at first substantial contact". And for good reason - to avoid misplaced confidence. Your Realtor should be very happy to answer basic questions about his/her business background on the phone and if you like what you hear, ask if he/she would make an appt to discuss the process a bit. He/she can also email you listings directly from the local Multiple Listing Service which give you essentially the same data and photos that members of the MLS get. If the Realtor gets your permission and is confident he/she understands your criteria, he/she can also set you up for automatic email notification of NEW listings which fit your criteria.

If you know a good Realtor at home - ask for a referral. Yes, even in another state. Your Realtor friend will earn a small referral fee, but may be able to help you identify somebody good you can talk with by phone initially. If that turns out to be somebody you're not crazy about, you're under no obligation even to meet in person.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:11 AM

16 posts, read 37,480 times
Sorry for the delay in replying. We visited NC and were able to get with a realtor that fit our criteria (and yours, too!) Your information and expertise in this area was very helpful to us. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina