Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 22,844 times

Advertisements

I have an interview next week for a state job and I keep wondering if it's worth it. I only know a few people that work for the state and for them, some days they like it and some days they don't. I know that's anywhere, but for once, I would love to at least "like" a job that I have!
I already know the salary range for the job and it's fine with me. Are most of the state departments flexible/easy to work for? If I need to miss a day because of my kids here and there will I need to worry? I have heard that the attitudes of state workers are terrible. I really don't need that stress right now. I left a job after 7 years because of the pay and unfair treatment etc. I worked so hard and the ones who would party and sleep around got everything. I mainly wanted to try working for the state because of the retirement. I haven't heard great things overall about working for the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 AM

404 posts, read 1,187,679 times
I have friends who work for the state. Some love it, some hate it. I think it all depends on which department you are working for and the staff that's already there. Basically, I don't think you'll know how you feel about it until you give it a try! Good luck on your interview!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
My husband works for the state - it just depends on your supervisors and coworkers - no one can guarantee you that working for the state will be wonderful, it's the same as any other company. You left your last job because of pay and unfair treatment? I don't really know what you mean by that statement. Anyone can claim unfair treatment for anything at any time, that's really subjective and not objective.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Working for state government is certainly different from other types of employment. Officially, there is no flexibility with your time. If you take time off, leave will be deducted, either annual leave or sick leave. Taking sick leave for care of immediate family members is limited to 40 hours per year. The attitudes you see vary from agency to agency, and from year to year, depending on who is running the agency or the government at any particular time.

One thing you have to realize before taking a job with state government is that there is no assurance that you will ever get a pay increase. There is no cost of living adjustment. You are at the mercy of the legislature for that. There used to be a process for employees to get merit raises, but the governor put a stop to that in 2005, so nobody has gotten one since.

Currently, the morale of state employees is very low, so what you see now may not be the same as what you may see at some future time.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your replies. Your replies are pretty much what I thought about working for the state (as I have heard).

I have finally obtained my goal of being Administrator for where I am now. That title to me was years in the making. There are just some things at my current place of employment that keep me from wanting to work there for years and quite honestly, I need to learn new things and move on.

I take each job as a stepping stone. Without a degree, I am making good money for this state. I have to be careful with the jobs that I take or apply for since I don't have a degree. I don't want to step down in salary. I always said that the only jobs I would take beyond this Administrator job would be very stable and something to be proud of, an accomplishment like federal or state or I would work for a well known company again. I'll just interview and see what happens.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
What about the possibility of getting a degree?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM

I have thought about it for (at least) the last two years and I even got my previous boss' approval for the last company I worked for to pay for it. My proposal went all the way up to the highest committee and then it was denied. Because my request was the first in the company, they said that everyone else would want it too and then quit. I have wanted to do online classes etc. because there's no way with kids etc. that I could actually go back to school on campus. Plus, honestly, the jobs that are open around here pay less with a degree than what I am making now. I don't see paying so much money for something when in this aspect, it may not benefit me. I am making more than most of my friends with a degree. I just keep trying to learn what I can and aim for the better jobs. I thought that the state would be worth a try. I still am not 100% sure, but will give it a try at the interview.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
There are no guarantees, of course, but in the long run a degree generally pays off. Maybe not in your current job, but when you apply for your next position, or the one after that. Or when the company has to layoff employees, it may choose to hold on to those with degrees vs. those who don't.

If there's a community college nearby, look in to what they have to offer. In addition to Associate's Degrees (2 yrs full time), many offer Diplomas and Certificates that can be completed in a year or less fulltime, maybe 2 or 3 years parttime. Community college tuition is usually reasonable, and if you're only taking one or two courses at a time, it might be more affordable as well as easier to fit into your family responsibilities.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
There are no guarantees, of course, but in the long run a degree generally pays off. .
Agree. Also provides a wider range of opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia