Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2023, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 12,555 times

Advertisements

I had some questions about Elkins, WV if anybody can chime in.

I really enjoy the Appalachians. I currently own some property in Garrett County, MD. I am also looking to purchase something in West Virginia. I really like the cooler climate of Deep Creek Lake MD and Terra Alta, WV. Is Elkins a cooler climate, similar to Terra Alta, Davis and Oakland, MD? I like the cooler climate and snow. Is it cool at night during the summer where you won’t need AC all the time? How about snowfall? Does the area get a decent amount and can snow be expected on Thanksgiving or Christmas? I really would like somewhere similar in climate but more people and a bigger town. Elkins came up for this reason.

How about downtown Elkins? Is there a lot of restaurants, eateries and shops? I live in a suburb of Columbus (Delaware, OH). We have shops, wine bars, breweries restaurants and activities. Does Elkins have a lot of activities?

Is there a lot of fishing and outdoor opportunities nearby? Is the fall foliage spectacular?

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 10:51 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
I will respond to this one and let others closer to Elkins respond to the others.

Is there a lot of fishing and outdoor opportunities nearby? Is the fall foliage spectacular?

You would be close to some of the best trout fishing anywhere you can go.
There are many hiking trails in the area and a short one hour drive away.
Winter sports at Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls area are topnotch and within 45 minutes.
There is a reason the Mountain State Forest Festival is held in Elkins as the Fall Foliage is spectacular most years.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:50 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
You move to Elkins for the scenery. For the fishing (great fishing).

I can recall when there was very little in the way of eateries in Elkins. There are most certainly more options today but it's not going to compare to Columbus.

I live 2.5 hours or so from Elkins but I get there every chance I can.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:05 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
I love Elkins, but it's going to fall short on amenities if you're trying to compare it to suburban Columbus. There's some good restaurants in town, a couple coffee shops, some artsy and touristy stores, and at least one brewery (Big Timber). Downtown is a "work in progress". It certainly has a ways to go in terms of being a destination. I believe the potential there is phenomenal!

It is certainly a cooler climate, but not as extreme as Oakland, MD or Terra Alta. You'll certainly see snow and cold temps. It can still get hot there in the summer.

I can't comment too much on the fishing, because I'm not much of one. But everyone I know raves about the trout fishing in the area.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I love Elkins, but it's going to fall short on amenities if you're trying to compare it to suburban Columbus. There's some good restaurants in town, a couple coffee shops, some artsy and touristy stores, and at least one brewery (Big Timber). Downtown is a "work in progress". It certainly has a ways to go in terms of being a destination. I believe the potential there is phenomenal!

It is certainly a cooler climate, but not as extreme as Oakland, MD or Terra Alta. You'll certainly see snow and cold temps. It can still get hot there in the summer.

I can't comment too much on the fishing, because I'm not much of one. But everyone I know raves about the trout fishing in the area.
I’m basically scouting Elkins (Randolph County) for a mountain house or land where I can potentially build one. I love the cooler weather. It just seemed like Elkins may have all of that.

Columbus is its own animal. Not looking for the exact same. Mountains cooler weather and a downtown with enough to do to keep things interesting.

From the responses it looks like a good four seasons area.

I love deep creek, but it is very expensive and my HOA is against vacation rentals.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:31 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
I really like Elkins. It has a great diner, Kroger, a nice little downtown district. A neat retro Exxon sign. You're near some great WV outdoor recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia