Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 04:07 PM

110 posts, read 224,153 times

Advertisements

Southern West Virginia to Eastern Kentucky is the largest region of economically distressed counties in the country. In many ways, it's a different America here. But what's it feel like to travel through this region in Appalachia and what do the locals have to say? ....

Pinned by Peter Santenello:
Thanks for coming along on this Appalachian journey! This is the start of a 7-8 part series in cultural Appalachia over the next few weeks. ► All other Appalachian videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r-s2I6yz23o0av ► Map on the economic wellbeing of counties in Appalachia: https://www.arc.gov/map/county-economic-status-in-appalachia-fy-2022/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 08:09 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Maybe people just like this kind of living. Nothing wrong with not wanting development, traffic, crazy people etc. Money doesn't buy happiness. I think some of the most beautiful nature and peace and serenity is in Appalachia.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:53 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
IF WV is so poor, Why are we the ONLY State NOT getting checks from the state during these Covid times? While All the surrounding States need to keep bailing their people out?

Old 07-17-2023, 11:32 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Maybe people just like this kind of living. Nothing wrong with not wanting development, traffic, crazy people etc. Money doesn't buy happiness. I think some of the most beautiful nature and peace and serenity is in Appalachia.
Unfortunately, the poorest counties in Appalachia are also where the worst of the mountaintop removal coal mines are, causing big problems with poor water quality, contamination, and erosion/runoff issues that make flooding issues worse.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:11 PM

56 posts, read 66,149 times
The border counties in TX are in far worse shape than the counties in Appalachia in many, many ways. Also the MS Delta counties in ARK/MS/LA are in a very similar economic situation as the counties in central appalachia.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:41 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
WV received Covid relief. $1.25 billion under Coronavirus Aid Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act; another $1.35 billion under the American Rescue Plan. Over $600 million wasn't spent for Covid relief and was diverted into economic development which benefited those least in need of relief, not those in need. It's not surprising that folks didn't see it.

Governor Justice and his family businesses got relief funds. The Greenbrier Hotel Corporation, Justice’s firm that owns and operates the luxury resort, received a loan of at least $5 million and they still laid off people. Greenbrier Sporting Club, his residential development company got at least $1 million. Blackstone Energy LTD and Bluestone Coke LLC, two coal companies owned by Justice’s family, each received at least $2 million; Justice Energy Company Inc. received at least $150,000.

That it did not make its way down speaks to the systemic issues facing WV. Its natural beauty should make it a tourist hotspot. The stripped mountain tops should make it ideal for wind and solar; yet as Justice's actions show, its wealth and future is diverted.

Last edited by webster; 07-18-2023 at 05:05 AM..

Old 07-18-2023, 09:25 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaysValleyWV View Post
The border counties in TX are in far worse shape than the counties in Appalachia in many, many ways. Also the MS Delta counties in ARK/MS/LA are in a very similar economic situation as the counties in central appalachia.
To be blunt, Appalachia gets more 'press' on that because it's (1) much closer to the major elite centers of the country in DC, NYC and Boston and (2) the people affected are primarily white which is a curiosity.

Wealthy people have no difficulty imagining poor Mexicans (such as in the RGV) or poor black people (as in the Deep South), and people mostly just feel bad for them, but poor white people trigger a mix of pity and revulsion. As in 'those people should be doing better, what's wrong with them? why are the way they are?'.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:05 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
To be blunt, Appalachia gets more 'press' on that because it's (1) much closer to the major elite centers of the country in DC, NYC and Boston and (2) the people affected are primarily white which is a curiosity.

Wealthy people have no difficulty imagining poor Mexicans (such as in the RGV) or poor black people (as in the Deep South), and people mostly just feel bad for them, but poor white people trigger a mix of pity and revulsion. As in 'those people should be doing better, what's wrong with them? why are the way they are?'.
Good post. This goes all the way back to the "local color" period of Appalachian reporting. You know, the stories of some city guy who rides a train as far as it takes him, then enters "the hills" where Elizabethan accents, Scots-Irish social patterns, subsistence living, and other 1/2 mythical stories can be reported back to the outside world.

Old 01-31-2024, 05:28 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Good post. This goes all the way back to the "local color" period of Appalachian reporting. You know, the stories of some city guy who rides a train as far as it takes him, then enters "the hills" where Elizabethan accents, Scots-Irish social patterns, subsistence living, and other 1/2 mythical stories can be reported back to the outside world.
I cannot count the number of people I have encountered in the Dayton/Cincinnati area...literally a two to three hours drive from West Virginia...who literally believe things like cousin/sibling relations and marriage are socially acceptable, that people in West Virginia lack things like supermarkets, malls, department stores, access to basic info about the world etc etc

Old 02-01-2024, 05:08 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,509,022 times
I love bringing out-of-state friends and family to WV, showing them around, them watching them realize the media stereotypes they’ve heard their entire lives are either completely untrue, or maybe rooted in some truth, but vastly exaggerated.

I’ve said this before on other threads, but I’ve never once hosted someone in WV and heard them say “yup, this is exactly what I pictured”. Every single person will say things like:

“Wow, I never knew xyz existed here”

“WV has so much more than I expected”

“I’ve never been somewhere with people this friendly before”

“I can’t believe I’ve overlooked this place”

“Why do I always here negative things about this place, there is so much going on”

“I want to live here” <-I’m actively recruiting multiple people who can’t wait to move here, all inspired just by a couple weekend visits.

I don’t mean this to toot my own horn, but I have found over and over again that once you get people physically here, their pre-conceived expectations (mostly based around media stereotypes) completely shift.

The most negative, degrading things I’ve heard are people who have never even been here. I know that because it’s the first thing I ask when someone criticizes me when I say I’m from WV. “How much time have you spent in WV?” The answer is almost always none, then they share some story they heard growing up, Deliverance or Wrong Turn (neither of which were filmed here) or some other movie/TV show.

Truly, the only way to counteract the negative press is to get people here and share all of the good we have to offer. WV’ians tend to be our own worst critics too, but that’s an entirely different discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia