Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: West Virginia support for.....
Newt Gingrich 4 14.29%
Mitt Romney 1 3.57%
Ron Paul 8 28.57%
Current President Barack Obama 7 25.00%
Another not listed here... 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 AM

144 posts, read 317,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I lived in DE and worked in MD for a while. Got double-screwed on taxes, believe it. VA wins in some tax categories but loses in others, like the annual car tax. By my calculations it always seemed like a wash no matter where you go around here. You're going to pay the piper somehow.

I've lived in places outside the mid atlantic, and believe me, compared to places in the northeast and northwest, it's really not so bad. You know, sometimes youve got to pay for things.
Car tax is nothing like it used to be in VA and it's a consumption tax. You don't want to pay much then don't buy an expense car. MD has a 50%+ COUNTY income tax and its not on what you spend it's on what you earn. DE is one of the best places to retire with NO sales tax, I know my Dad did it.
MD is as liberal they come and they spend until they need to spend some more. The utility etc. type taxes are among the highest in the country. I have lived in MD, VA and WV and if I had to move it would be to VA or DE. I will never live in MD again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 09:08 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
It was mentioned....'Rebub congress with a moderate Pres'....

If that be the case, then it will be Romney in 2012.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtbred View Post
Car tax is nothing like it used to be in VA and it's a consumption tax. You don't want to pay much then don't buy an expense car. MD has a 50%+ COUNTY income tax and its not on what you spend it's on what you earn. DE is one of the best places to retire with NO sales tax, I know my Dad did it.
MD is as liberal they come and they spend until they need to spend some more. The utility etc. type taxes are among the highest in the country. I have lived in MD, VA and WV and if I had to move it would be to VA or DE. I will never live in MD again.
Our local tax is a portion of the state tax. I hope you aren't suggesting that the county in which I reside collects 50% of my income for tax, because it just isn't true.

I'm not interested in debating this, I'm just saying from my perspective taxes here aren't nearly as bad as the local foam-at-the-mouth types try to make it out to be.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 AM

537 posts, read 958,689 times
Quote:
I am anything but rich actually right in the middle of the middle class but raising taxes just so you can waste it on programs is not a great business model to follow. You want the rich to pay more then move to a flat tax with a consumption tax like they use with gasoline. The rich will spend more and pay more. Yes it is that simple.
Yes, some gov't programs are wasteful, mainly when all the political BS is involved and you get "bridges to nowhere" and whatnot, but for the most part gov't is an extremely valuable part of a civilized society. You don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. And you don't use the occasional wasteful expenses as an excuse for the rich to not pay their fair share of taxes.

And yes, the consumption tax can be simple. Unfortunately that doesn't mean it's fair. I need to use my car and buy gas as much as a rich guy does. It's fair that we both pay the same tax rate on the gas? He makes 10 times as much as I do and he shouldn't be asked to pay a little more?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:26 PM

389 posts, read 797,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
My opinion... they could run Alfred E. Newmann and beat Obama. All they have to do is ask "Are you better off than you were four years ago?" It will be all about the economy.
Honestly, the people that won't admit that the economy is recovering are the ones that are purely seeking to oust Obama. Four years ago, my family restaurant was on thin ice. Business was worse than we'd ever seen and we eventually had to put the restaurant on the market. It never sold and I am thankful that we still have it. With people out spending again, business today is nearly as good as it ever was--leaps and bounds above last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
hahaha Funny you bring up Maryland. I'm actually highly considering a move back East to Maryland. Their "taxes" enable them to actually pay teachers a decent start out wage... about 18K more than WV
Very true. Where I'm from, a lot of my teachers made 30+ mile treks from West Virginia simply because they made a fortune in Maryland when compared with teachers' salaries at the schools in their own communities. My family across the river in WV always likes to poke fun at us for living in such a "tax hell," but we always counter with a friendly reminder of how apparent those extra tax dollars really are. While they're maneuvering hairpin turns and potholes, we're driving on the best roads in the country (silky smooth and well engineered). While they wait on their roads to be plowed in the winter, ours are being continually cleared and treated (although I'm told snow removal isn't quite as good in less mountainous areas of Maryland).

Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Honestly, the people that won't admit that the economy is recovering are the ones that are purely seeking to oust Obama. Four years ago, my family restaurant was on thin ice. Business was worse than we'd ever seen and we eventually had to put the restaurant on the market. It never sold and I am thankful that we still have it. With people out spending again, business today is nearly as good as it ever was--leaps and bounds above last year.

Very true. Where I'm from, a lot of my teachers made 30+ mile treks from West Virginia simply because they made a fortune in Maryland when compared with teachers' salaries at the schools in their own communities. My family across the river in WV always likes to poke fun at us for living in such a "tax hell," but we always counter with a friendly reminder of how apparent those extra tax dollars really are. While they're maneuvering hairpin turns and potholes, we're driving on the best roads in the country (silky smooth and well engineered). While they wait on their roads to be plowed in the winter, ours are being continually cleared and treated (although I'm told snow removal isn't quite as good in less mountainous areas of Maryland).
I will go ahead and say the road crews in Randolph County are pretty good. The roads are generally in good shape, and they do an excellent job of treating the roads... well at least the main ones... I think it has something to do with having tons of tourists in front wheel drive cars trying to get to the slopes...haha

But its more of a pay off as you say. Yes taxes are more... but I'd much rather live in a place with adequate police protection, decent wages for my profession... and a place that is open to new ideas and the modern family. It's also nice to live in a place with other like minded people. WV will always be home, but I can't live on the pay they pay teachers and why would I want to live in a state that doesn't recognize my marriage???

Its like saying would you rather pay 50 cents for an apple with a worm in it over 75 cents for a freshly picked apple. I'm paying out the @ss out here in Scottsdale and Arizona is freezing teacher pay and doing hiring freezes while the Republican state govt is doing everything it can to do away with tenure and the influence of teacher unions. What about that is appealing??? Plus this state is far more conservative than anything I've experienced in the states... I'm going to lump it with Poland.... very close to being a police state....

Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 AM

144 posts, read 317,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Our local tax is a portion of the state tax. I hope you aren't suggesting that the county in which I reside collects 50% of my income for tax, because it just isn't true.

I'm not interested in debating this, I'm just saying from my perspective taxes here aren't nearly as bad as the local foam-at-the-mouth types try to make it out to be.
It's been years but I believe MD County income tax is based on what state tax you pay. So if you pay 2,000 to the state then you pay 1,000 to the county.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 AM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
As for the debt when the last Dem was in office it was during the internet boom where it seems as if every business prospered and when it ended it hurt. As for Billy he was very conservative but most libs don't want to admit it and let's not forget (although liberals want to) that was the time we had the first Republican controlled Congress in over 30 years. Repub controlled congress with a very moderate President = good for business and in turn good for the country.[/quote]

You think Clinton would be successful in this tea party controlled house, sure they dont control the house by numbers but they control the whole republican party. I am a registered independent that leans slightly to the left. Extremism is whats hurting this country and republicans are dominating that show. Propoganda by the right claims obama as such a lib but from my viewpoint I dont see it. If you take out the healthcare bill and what I consider a mandatory stimulas he is moderate. The stimulus is easy to pick on because no one would know what would have happened without it. The banking industry and the LOWEST taxes in years on high income earners is what put us in this position. Obama could have done more, but the alternatives are laughable except maybe jon huntsman but oh yea hes to moderate and might win the general election. Arguing about deficits is nonsense if you have ever read a history book and dont believe opinionated pundits.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 PM

677 posts, read 933,950 times
Quote:
I am anything but rich actually right in the middle of the middle class but raising taxes just so you can waste it on programs is not a great business model to follow. You want the rich to pay more then move to a flat tax with a consumption tax like they use with gasoline. The rich will spend more and pay more. Yes it is that simple.
Well then if you're anything but rich then the last thing you should be doing is voting for any republican. Just what does it take to get it thru the thick skull heads of Americans that the republicans could care less about middleclass, working poor, & the poor. They want 2 classes of people, the rich & the poor, middleclass be damned. They want to finish the job Bush started & that's to stump out the middleclass. This republican congress is the all time worse, they could care less if American goes belly up, just make Obama look bad, let us get back in power so we can continue to squash the middleclass, make them paupers, destitute & betoken to us. Let them make $7/hr & be happy to get it. If you open your eyes you can see this is happening presently. Yes, yes Pres. Obama had a democratic congress, but the impatience of Americans who somehow thought he could do miracles in 2 yrs & swallowed the hype of Fox news, listened to the good game the republicans were preaching if they were elected in 2010. Well you see the outcome don't ya, gridlock! Nothing good has come to pass since the republicans got in office & they prove to you daily they don't give a damn about your plight. Yet the naive, the ignorant, the racist poor blame all their misery on Obama. Well you better believe in 2012 I'm pulling the lever straight down for the democrats. The republicans can kiss my @#**, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to HELL!!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:11 PM

515 posts, read 778,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Yes, some gov't programs are wasteful, mainly when all the political BS is involved and you get "bridges to nowhere" and whatnot, but for the most part gov't is an extremely valuable part of a civilized society. You don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. And you don't use the occasional wasteful expenses as an excuse for the rich to not pay their fair share of taxes.

And yes, the consumption tax can be simple. Unfortunately that doesn't mean it's fair. I need to use my car and buy gas as much as a rich guy does. It's fair that we both pay the same tax rate on the gas? He makes 10 times as much as I do and he shouldn't be asked to pay a little more?
WOW, I'm not rich by any means but this makes no sense all all to me. This would be punishing the people who are most likely well educated with higher income levels for being successful in their fields. What would you call this tax? What would be the incentive for anyone to become better educated and increase their income level if they have to give it back in taxes to someone who isn't as motivated? This is a free country where we can choose to be what we want to be. Granted, some people are born into wealth but most wealthy people I know are highly motivated and educated. Why punish them for being successful by taxing them at a higher rate for consumables.

A low income wage earner with children at home will probably get some kind of handout from welfare or what ever and will probably get tax credits resulting in a nice tax refund meaning they'll pay very little or no income tax. If they're making ends meet with govt. assistance and are happy with that, why should they better themselves? The govt. will tax their motivated, educated, rich neighbors to pay for their "entitlements" and they'll get by. I've seen this scenario all to often in my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia