Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 02:29 PM

134 posts, read 40,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Not rich but not poor - the last wedding I gave $100 - the cost of the 2 dinners. If they have a home and good jobs - they don't need it - your attendance should be more than enough.
Agreed. I usually give $100 at weddings. I feel that's plenty generous.

I get they want to make money back but it's not a damn business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 02:32 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
For us, it depends on who is getting married etc, but $500 seems like a good amount

Old 01-17-2024, 02:34 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I've always thought that the idea that your wedding gift is supposed to offset the cost of the wedding as misguided at best and ridiculous at worst. People's decisions in wedding planning aren't generally public information, and they should spend what they can afford, and invite people because they want them to celebrate, not because they're expecting to profit. Sure, people traditionally want to give a gift, but not everyone on the guest list is going to be in the same financial situation. For some people, their taking time off work and buying an outfit and traveling and booking a hotel to be at the event is going to be the gift.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
No way, for immediate family $500 seems good, but in this case I would not go over $100. You don't want to become known as the "rich aunt and uncle".

Old 01-17-2024, 07:37 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
Agreed. I usually give $100 at weddings. I feel that's plenty generous.

I get they want to make money back but it's not a damn business.
Leave it to our modern culture to monetize every damn thing, even a wedding.

Here's a thought: no money. In their 30s and already set in their own home and professional careers? Give them a special and unique gift that they will hopefully use and enjoy together as a married couple. Could be a tangible item or a gift card to a restaurant.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:24 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Nephew is in his 30’s and it will be marriage to longtime live in GF. They already own a house. Both highly paid professionals. No registry, (so they want cash.) We will fly from Nevada to FL and rent an Airbnb. We will rent a car. Wedding is in an “upscale” barn with a country theme. Day after there is a brunch for family.
All of this is completely irrelevant information.

Quote:
We can afford to give; but we have two other similar weddings coming up (stepdaughter’s child and cousin’s child) so we want to kind of do similar gifts for all.
This is actually relevant. Trying to keep it fair amongst the family is a good goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
At minimum pay for the cost of your attendance.
The cost of the wedding should have zero influence on the amount of your gift. Period. You are an attendee at a party they are throwing. You are not obliged to fund their party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've always thought that the idea that your wedding gift is supposed to offset the cost of the wedding as misguided at best and ridiculous at worst. People's decisions in wedding planning aren't generally public information, and they should spend what they can afford, and invite people because they want them to celebrate, not because they're expecting to profit. Sure, people traditionally want to give a gift, but not everyone on the guest list is going to be in the same financial situation. For some people, their taking time off work and buying an outfit and traveling and booking a hotel to be at the event is going to be the gift.
ok, I agree with most of this post. Yes, you do not need to offset any of the party costs. And, yes, you are not required to give a gift. And, certainly, if you are in a tough financial situation, travel costs alone might prohibit also buying a gift.

BUT, if you decide to buy yourself an outfit in lieu of a gift for a wedding you are attending, that's a selfish choice.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:11 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
When I got married, I wasn't looking for wedding gifts, and I wasn't expecting cash gifts to pay for the wedding. I invited people to come celebrate with us, and be happy for us. Truly, THAT was my bottom line. Anything and everything else was icing on the cake.

So...I say buy that outfit if you want to. Give us a pretty card with heartfelt congratulations. OR...give us $500 and know our eyes would've bugged out of our heads at the amazing generosity. It would've been greatly appreciated...and unexpected.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:23 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
I say $500 is more than generous, my DH thinks $1K.

I think either amount is way too much. For a long-lost nephew you never see, they'd get $100 if they were lucky.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:25 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You don't want to become known as the "rich aunt and uncle".

Pretty sure they already are; that's the only reason they were invited.

Old 01-18-2024, 11:24 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Opinions about gift size vary from region to region.

When we married in California, we hosted a reception we could afford, to show how we valued our friends and family. People gave us gifts they could afford, and we appreciated them.

But when my sil married on Long Island, her NY groom said things like, "they better cover their plate," meaning the gifts should cost at least as much as the bride and groom paid for the reception.
I thought they overdid the reception; first an omelet bar, followed immediately by a sit down dinner, then a dozen kinds of dessert. Was that all to make people feel like they had to give bigger gifts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings