Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 05:11 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,206 times

Advertisements

We have come to the decision that the rehearsal dinner will only include the wedding party and family/family from out of town. After a lot of thought, we all agree except for my husband LOL that we really don't want to have "two weddings"

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 09:05 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
We have come to the decision that the rehearsal dinner will only include the wedding party and family/family from out of town. After a lot of thought, we all agree except for my husband LOL that we really don't want to have "two weddings"

That sounds great and is very understandable. Most of our family was from out of town, so the groom's family (who decides, not the bride), had the wedding party, pastor and wife, and immediate family members of the bride and groom (parents, grandparents, siblings). They decided no children, so all the grandkids were babysat by aunts and uncles who came to town.

What was ironic is that the groom's family was very much into "toasting" and the rehearsal dinner lasted almost 4 hours, as long as the wedding the next night. Very nice, but a bit too much for us.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That sounds great and is very understandable. Most of our family was from out of town, so the groom's family (who decides, not the bride), had the wedding party, pastor and wife, and immediate family members of the bride and groom (parents, grandparents, siblings). They decided no children, so all the grandkids were babysat by aunts and uncles who came to town.

What was ironic is that the groom's family was very much into "toasting" and the rehearsal dinner lasted almost 4 hours, as long as the wedding the next night. Very nice, but a bit too much for us.

We were just at a wedding this past summer that was heavy on the toasts which were speeches.

Very religious families as well so it was a toss between attending a sermon and over the top.

The mother of the bride gave a 28 minute speech at the wedding which started at her pregnancy with the bride and ended with the wedding. In the end the toasts/speeches/sermons lasted over an hour in total. We noted people sitting at tables with their eyes closed.

One thing I have learned over the years. Follow the 3 minute toast rule. If you have that much to say write your recipient a letter!

Old 01-19-2023, 09:35 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:

Great!

Old 01-19-2023, 10:02 AM

11,788 posts, read 12,024,345 times
Quote:

I think that's the perfect decision and with such a volume of people it would feel like two weddings. That definitely isn't the point of a rehearsal dinner.

I'm just nosy now, why doesn't hubby agree?

Old 01-19-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I think that's the perfect decision and with such a volume of people it would feel like two weddings. That definitely isn't the point of a rehearsal dinner.

I'm just nosy now, why doesn't hubby agree?
Hubby feels that is it extremely rude not to include out of town guests at the rehearsal. The etiquette rules of our generation state that you do.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:31 AM

11,788 posts, read 12,024,345 times
Quote:
Hubby feels that is it extremely rude not to include out of town guests at the rehearsal. The etiquette rules of our generation state that you do.
Etiquette is often so mixed on these issues. Personally I think it's a kindness to include out of town family because ultimately the rehearsal dinner is for the wedding party. I feel that often gets lost in the wedding industrial complex.

Old 01-22-2023, 04:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Most of the weddings I know about the kids came back to town for the wedding. I don't know anyone that had the wedding where they moved to and expect everyone else to travel.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most of the weddings I know about the kids came back to town for the wedding. I don't know anyone that had the wedding where they moved to and expect everyone else to travel.
The wedding is in the state the bride is from. Not the town she is from because she only had a few family members still living in that town. Her immediate family doesn't live there anymore.

Even if it wasn't many brides and grooms choose to have weddings at different destinations.

Things aren't always so straight forward.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:26 AM

88,522 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
The wedding is in the state the bride is from. Not the town she is from because she only had a few family members still living in that town. Her immediate family doesn't live there anymore.

Even if it wasn't many brides and grooms choose to have weddings at different destinations.

Things aren't always so straight forward.
My niece is from NJ but had moved to the Boston area ten years earlier. Her husband is from Montreal.

They had their wedding in western Massachusetts, which made it fair for traveling for both families as well as their friends where they live.

They scoped out the area for hotels and sent along the information in the invitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings