Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 04:25 PM

91 posts, read 65,299 times

Advertisements

Last year my nephew got married and my immediate family was not invited to his wedding. Everyone else in the family, cousins etc were invited but not us . I found out in The worst way and when I confronted his mother she lied to me and my husband and told us we were invited. She made some rumbling about how the guest list was tight and she couldn’t even invite her close friends to the wedding blah blah blah but told us of course we were invited , the save the date must have just been lost in the mail. We live across the country from each other so this seamed feasible and why wouldn’t it? My sister and I were each other’s maids of honour and our boys were raised together until the age of 13 when my family husband and I and our children moved across country for a job transfer. As the wedding date got closer and we still hadn’t received an invitation another family member let me know that when she RSVP ‘d it made the guest list visible and that my family wasn’t on it. I was devastated. To add insult to injury I was in town during the brides bridal shower and received a panicked call by the mother of the groom making sure I wasn’t going to show up at the shower. She didn’t even know I was in town but our brother erroneously assumed I was there to attend the bridal shower. Because although we are 2800 miles apart I still bust my fanny to attend all family events. I was shocked and told her because I hadn’t received an invite to the shower I had no idea it was even happening and she said “good because xyz (bride) didn’t count in you being there . On the day of the wedding she posted photos of her and all her friends , the ones she said couldn’t even be invited all over face book. It was hurtful and unbelievable and I have shed many many tears over this. I unfriended her on FB and we have not spoken since the day she called to make sure I wasn’t attending the bridal shower. Not one person stood up for me and my family and said anything and in fact when I cried on other sisters shoulder she said she knew they were wrong and it wasn’t right but she didn’t appreciate being put in the middle. Fast forward my son is now getting married. He was also hurt to not be invited to his cousins wedding but he is more upset that I wasn’t. He has decided he isn’t inviting them to his wedding. My husband whole heartedly agrees. I do too but now I am getting push back from other family members. The sister who told me she didn’t want to be in the middle of it before is now telling me I’m wrong and I should be making my son invite them. She said two wrongs don’t make a right blah blah blah. Honestly I have done what is deemed the right thing my whole life and it’s rarely reciprocated. But here’s the thing if the tables had been turned I would have never lied and told her she was invited. The question is are we wrong for not inviting them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 04:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Take the high road and invite them if your son and his bride to be agree. While not normally applicable for a situation like this, the best revenge is living well. You will live well by inviting them.

BTW--I'm the oldest of 5 children. I understand always doing the right thing with family matters. I'd be hurt too, but is it worth it to give up on your sister completely?

Old 08-21-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Take the high road and invite them if your son and his bride to be agree. While not normally applicable for a situation like this, the best revenge is living well. You will live well by inviting them.

BTW--I'm the oldest of 5 children. I understand always doing the right thing with family matters. I'd be hurt too, but is it worth it to give up on your sister completely?
Even if my son doesn’t want to? He is adamant. Can I force him? Yes probably but where as I was wavering at one point due to other sisters words overall I’m at peace not inviting them. Karma and what comes around goes around.

It’s funny when she did what she did it seemed to be accepted but if I do it in turn I’m the bad guy.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:09 AM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Save the family drama for another time. Confine the guest list to people who enhance and uplift the occasion.

First, it's not your wedding. If your son doesn't want them at the wedding, that's your answer.

Second, why would you even want to invite them? The wedding should be a celebration of joy, with people who wish your son and new DIL joy.

BTW, do you know why you and your family were not invited to your nephew's wedding? Any underlying family problems?

As an aside, when posting, try to use paragraphs and sentence returns to make reading your post easier.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:20 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
It sounds like you feel like you know deep down inside that inviting them is the right thing to do, but it really isnt in this case. Likely because you are a family oriented person and as you said you always do the right thing.

Sometimes we have to give ourselves permission to "just say no"

I read your post 3 times. What would have bothered me the most is the lying. I would have certainly been hurt by not being invited but what is unforgivable IMO is that she flat out lied to you about it. Even going as far as to say she couldn't invite friends but then on the day of was posting photos from the wedding of her and her friends. That almost seems intentionally mean spirited to me. I don't know how anyone doing something like that could be unaware of their actions.

Also the phone call about the bridal shower. WOW. One thing is for sure, she has no etiquette whatsoever. Any normal person would have called and said "I just heard you were in town and we didn't send you an invite because I didn't want you to feel obligated to fly across country to attend this but now that I know you're here please please join us." Who calls someone in a panic and expresses that they are concerned you might come? Why just not acknowledge you even being there?

Bottom line. The ultimate decision should come from your son and his fiancé. Yes I realize parents contribute to the guest list, but leave them off of it if your son doesn't want them there.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Save the family drama for another time. Confine the guest list to people who enhance and uplift the occasion.

BTW, do you know why you and your family were not invited to your nephew's wedding? Any underlying family problems?

No problems at all. This came straight out of left field. I have no idea why we were not included. We have not spoken.

As an aside, when posting, try to use paragraphs and sentence returns to make reading your post easier.
I am posting from my phone and when I hit return it posts. I couldn’t figure it out it a way to create paragraphs because of this.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:33 PM

Obviously having some angst commenting off my phone as I now see my comment to the first part of your question is now in the quoted portion.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
It sounds like you feel like you know deep down inside that inviting them is the right thing to do, but it really isnt in this case. Likely because you are a family oriented person and as you said you always do the right thing.

Sometimes we have to give ourselves permission to "just say no"

I read your post 3 times. What would have bothered me the most is the lying. I would have certainly been hurt by not being invited but what is unforgivable IMO is that she flat out lied to you about it. Even going as far as to say she couldn't invite friends but then on the day of was posting photos from the wedding of her and her friends. That almost seems intentionally mean spirited to me. I don't know how anyone doing something like that could be unaware of their actions.

Also the phone call about the bridal shower. WOW. One thing is for sure, she has no etiquette whatsoever. Any normal person would have called and said "I just heard you were in town and we didn't send you an invite because I didn't want you to feel obligated to fly across country to attend this but now that I know you're here please please join us." Who calls someone in a panic and expresses that they are concerned you might come? Why just not acknowledge you even being there?

Bottom line. The ultimate decision should come from your son and his fiancé. Yes I realize parents contribute to the guest list, but leave them off of it if your son doesn't want them there.
You’re spot on about the lying. I would have been hurt by not being invited but would have respected their decision if she had discussed it and candidly told us . However the way it all went down is just unacceptable.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:54 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
STEP BACK. This isn't your wedding. Guests should be selected by the bride and groom. If they don't want to invite certain family members it is not on you. Not your business. Any family members pressuring you should be told that the guest list is entirely up to your son and his fiancee and that you are not meddling. Hopefully you won't be meddling in the rest of their marriage.

Honestly, if people would have started fussing at my husband and me about how we were doing our special day and who should be invited, it would have been all we needed to just elope.

Old 08-22-2022, 01:28 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Your son doesn’t want them and it’s his decision. Their behavior was horrible and shouldn’t be rewarded. The lying and then calling to make sure you aren’t coming is unforgivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings