Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 01:02 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,643,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I always find the idea of women being given hyphenated names at birth sort of odd. My aunt and uncle hyphenated so she is Mrs. Legume-Animal (those are the categories of name). They had a couple of daughters who are all Ms. Legume-Animals. When these young women marry do they drop it completely? Become Mrs Legume-Animal-Smith? Animal-Smith? Legume-Smith? Confusing.

Ita.....it can get very confusing after marriage....for future generations.... if they are planning to have babies. Picking 1 name is easiest IMO.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 12:43 PM

1,065 posts, read 603,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Seriously....what is the deal with using every last name you have ever had?

Mary Jones, Smith, Adams....For example....

Never been a fan of hyphenated last names either....yes....I remember when that started.
A hyphen is probably for people who can't file correctly. Example: Song Ping Lee, Michael Alex Smith, Michael Smith Jones are all L, S and J for last name. But idiots time and again will put Michael Smith Jones under S, instead of J. So Michael has to hyphen his last names, IF indeed they're last names: Michael Alex Smith-Jones, and it accommodates the ones who can alphabetize and the idiots. Remember too, that other cultures use both parents names. And women aren't owned by men anymore so the Mrs from Mister's Last Name is gone and replaced with Ms, so some couples hyphen both their last names.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,756,537 times
Quote:
Not a big deal...I was 43. I had/have all of the aforementioned items posted. Pretty simple process to change the names.
Do you have a license? If so, it is a lot harder because it can take people a lot longer to find you if they don’t know your married name. Many people with licenses don’t want to bother, or prefer a hyphenated name so their current clients/patients can still find them easily.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 AM

23,940 posts, read 33,819,997 times
Quote:
I always find the idea of women being given hyphenated names at birth sort of odd. My aunt and uncle hyphenated so she is Mrs. Legume-Animal (those are the categories of name). They had a couple of daughters who are all Ms. Legume-Animals. When these young women marry do they drop it completely? Become Mrs Legume-Animal-Smith? Animal-Smith? Legume-Smith? Confusing.

Now that ive said that, my husband's name is Adopted name, birth name, birth middle name, adopted hyphenated last name.
Our son is First name, middle name, Hyphenated last name. Which has been a disaster at elementary school learning to write his name and i sort of regret giving him the name but my husband is very proud of his name and his adoptive father and wanted to give it to him,
My granddaughters fathers last name is hyphenated. I guess one was his mothers, the other his fathers. I've never asked. My poor granddaughter will grow up with this hyphenated name, will be a pain when she's old enough for school.

I'm married 3 times. I changed my name back to my maiden and when I married my hub I hyphenated. In the end I'm glad I kept my dads last name. We were very close. I don't have kids with my husband. If we did they would only have his last name. I'd never do that to a kid.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:40 PM

671 posts, read 858,718 times
My husband and I both have four names. Our son has four as well. If I were to take my husband's surname, I would have five....

Old 03-01-2020, 07:11 PM

19,476 posts, read 15,367,499 times
Quote:

Now that ive said that, my husband's name is Adopted name, birth name, birth middle name, adopted hyphenated last name.
Our son is First name, middle name, Hyphenated last name. Which has been a disaster at elementary school learning to write his name and i sort of regret giving him the name but my husband is very proud of his name and his adoptive father and wanted to give it to him,
I've always wondered about that, too.

Thinking about it, I suppose it would help with family tree records.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:48 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,106,429 times
Quote:
People from my earlier life know my married last name. Thise who don’t .....no longer matter to me.
Ok. Good for you. Surely you understand your circumstances don't apply to everyone? I know a couple of people with hyphenated last names. They did it for professional reasons. If it's a pain in the ass, it's not MY pain in the ass, so what do I care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings