Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 PM

9,894 posts, read 14,184,219 times

Advertisements

So, I have recently attended two weddings and have yet to receive thank-you notes for the gifts. When I got married (15 years ago), I wrote out and sent my thank-you notes within 5 days of the wedding. I know that time frame is OVERLY aggressive, but what is considered appropriate? One wedding was 5 months ago, one was 3.........

(oh, and I know they received the gift, because they cashed the check within two weeks of the wedding...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 12:58 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, I have recently attended two weddings and have yet to receive thank-you notes for the gifts. When I got married (15 years ago), I wrote out and sent my thank-you notes within 5 days of the wedding. I know that time frame is OVERLY aggressive, but what is considered appropriate? One wedding was 5 months ago, one was 3.........

(oh, and I know they received the gift, because they cashed the check within two weeks of the wedding...)
A lot of people think hand written thank yous are very old fashioned. Was there any sort of thanks, like an email, or acknowledgement in person?

In any case, I think 6 months is around the norm, and some people will say a year. I knew one woman who insisted that you didn’t need to send a TY until you used the gift. Vehemently insisted. As in trying to tell her otherwise would cause a huge fight.

Been married for 36 years, and I did ours in less than a week, also.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
A lot of people think hand written thank yous are very old fashioned. Was there any sort of thanks, like an email, or acknowledgement in person?

In any case, I think 6 months is around the norm, and some people will say a year. I knew one woman who insisted that you didn’t need to send a TY until you used the gift. Vehemently insisted. As in trying to tell her otherwise would cause a huge fight.

Been married for 36 years, and I did ours in less than a week, also.
No acknowledgement except for cashed checks.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:53 AM

5,464 posts, read 4,088,826 times
I would expect a TY note within a month or two of the wedding. And I find the pre-printed, generic, unsigned notes that are sent out by the printing company to be highly unsatisfactory.

But I realize I am fighting a losing battle.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I would expect a TY note within a month or two of the wedding. And I find the pre-printed, generic, unsigned notes that are sent out by the printing company to be highly unsatisfactory.

But I realize I am fighting a losing battle.
It really is.

I went to a wedding 38 years ago of a good friend, and she had these adorable scrolls wound up in a little wedding ring on every place setting — remember Cracker Jack rings? Like those. A really nice poem about thanking their friends and family for sharing their day — very touching.

And it was the first time we had seen these things.

She told me later she was so upset that people didn’t understand those were the Thank Yous. And then her mother made her write thank yous...and she bought a preprinted fill in the blank of the item TY.

I didn’t care, in fact I thought it was funny, because she had yelled about what ETIQUETTE says for months as she planned her wedding. Why does everyone who scream about etiquette not really know about etiquette?

My family is kind of strict on TYs. I send the kids checks for birthdays and Christmas, and I get notes back. Mom may write the sentiment, but the crayon drawing is all theirs. Kind of nice...

Old 02-14-2019, 11:53 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,424,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Were you writing thank you notes during your honeymoon?

I don't think most people do that.

I've received thank you cards up to six months after a wedding or shower. But I frankly don't care when they send it out.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:55 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,258,627 times
Emily Post says 3 months after the wedding, but I remember a rumor rolling around that a year was ok.

I also think people get a little leeway if they're going on a honeymoon, moving in together, etc.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:04 PM

6,840 posts, read 11,602,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

My family is kind of strict on TYs. I send the kids checks for birthdays and Christmas, and I get notes back. Mom may write the sentiment, but the crayon drawing is all theirs. Kind of nice...
These days, I may not write a note, but I always acknowledge it with the sender. My mother was very strict on TYs too. Unfortunately that didn’t trickle down to the next generation. I’m always left wondering if they got their gifts or not. Still waiting on a wedding thank you from October. They cashed the check 2 days after the wedding.

When I got married the first time in 1974, a lot of people sent presents beforehand. I wrote my TY within 2 days, to keep up with them. Got several compliments on that. I still feel bad about a gift received at the reception that had no card. Two hand towels and a nice ceramic soap dish. If one of you sent it, my sincere thanks!

Old 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM

6,579 posts, read 8,438,843 times
Thank you notes are becoming less and less common. So for some, I'm willing to overlook not receiving a thank you note. For other's, I'll never give them another thing.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Were you writing thank you notes during your honeymoon?
Didn't go on a honeymoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings