Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 12:50 PM

6,894 posts, read 11,288,413 times

Advertisements

We are the parents.

We are not contributing to the wedding - we were not asked to either.

Daughter has lived on her own for 10 years - very independent.

Makes more money than us.

I thought of establishing a savings account for them like something with American Express High Yield Savings account (she does everything on Amex)

Not registered anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 05:35 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,469,332 times
How much are you planning to gift?

Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 AM

37,594 posts, read 61,691,726 times
Give them a card offering to co-sign their first mortgage.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 AM

Smile Maybe $500 plus

Not sure.

Daughter already had a mortgage. She doesn't need us to co-sign.

The 2 of them together make more than us together almost times 1.5 so they do not need us like that.

Very independent. Also has helped me when I needed it.

I have a business and she has helped me when I needed a quick small loan for a client (very short term). She always got paid back.

I've spoken to a lot of my family members and most feel since they are attending this destination wedding, that is her present. Point well taken and I agree.

It's costing everyone a bit of money to do this.

She is not a gift grabbing type; also appreciated whatever anyone did but is independent and likes to do things her own way. She does not like anyone telling her what to do.

Because my husband thought my idea was not a good one (the Amex High Yield Savings), that's why I'm inquiring.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Give them a card offering to co-sign their first mortgage.
Never, ever offer to be a co-signer on a loan. A good alternative would be to assist them with the down payment

But my answer depends upon how much OP plans to gift the couple.

Editing to Add: I see that you said $500.

So maybe just give them $500 cash with no strings attached. They can use it to spend on the honeymoon, to put toward the wedding bills, or a weekend getaway.

What does your husband think is a good gift idea?

Old 11-12-2018, 12:38 PM

15,850 posts, read 20,700,378 times
Here's what our parents gave to my wife and I when we got married.

Now, just to give you background...

My wife and I were both 36 at the time. Both established in our careers and both made good money and were financially comfortable. We also already owned a home that we purchased ourselves with no help from our parents (didn't need it). When we got married, the wedding was 100% paid for by ourselves with no help from either side. (again...didn't need help). Great, loving relationship with all of our parents...we just don't want or need their (or anyone else's) money.

We requested no gifts at our modest wedding, but each set of parents did give us $1000 from each side. Those were the only gifts received. I would have been perfectly fine with any amount or nothing at all.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 11-12-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 03:24 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,965,920 times
We gifted cash-no strings. We only have one child (son), and had only small expense for his wedding (rehearsal dinner and champagne for the wedding toast.) Our cash gift was substantial.

Your daughter sounds like she has her life together and would be able to use the cash wisely.

I would give whatever amount you and your husband agree upon. Do you have a piece of family jewelry, a token/private joke, or small sentimental heirloom that you could wrap with the check for presentation? We presented our gift with a hammer (not applicable to his profession, just a private joke).

Old 11-12-2018, 04:41 PM

Smile Close to same situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Here's what our parents gave to my wife and I when we got married.

Now, just to give you background...

My wife and I were both 36 at the time. Both established in our careers and both made good money and were financially comfortable. We also already owned a home that we purchased ourselves with no help from our parents (didn't need it). When we got married, the wedding was 100% paid for by ourselves with no help from either side. (again...didn't need help). Great, loving relationship with all of our parents...we just don't want or need their (or anyone else's) money.

We requested no gifts at our modest wedding, but each set of parents did give us $1000 from each side. Those were the only gifts received. I would have been perfectly fine with any amount or nothing at all.
She talked to one of her cousins today and told her that everyone coming so far is the gift. She's really excited to have everyone coming to NYC and sharing 3 days with her.

I actually - or she got it out of me - what I was thinking about and she told me "Awesome; do it" - but I would like to surprise them with something....different.

I have a hard time at Christmas. Last year, I did Rangers tickets and tickets to a play which they both loved.

In 2014, I gave her a GoPro so I set the high standard. LOL.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:43 PM

Smile Decision maker on the gifts

Falls in my lap - both the ideas and the expense.

It is just something I've always paid for.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Falls in my lap - both the ideas and the expense.

It is just something I've always paid for.
Except that he poo-poos your ideas. Sounds like my hubby.

I'd go with the cash gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings