Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 05:29 PM

633 posts, read 661,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Name a city with the "safest" weather; where weather-related damage to property or injuries to people are almost non-existent.

As much as I bash it, I think San Francisco has the "safest" weather of any major city in the U.S.
The cold fog and marine air prevents it from the wildfires that L.A and San Diego can get nor does it get the extreme heat waves can happen even at the coast of Southern California in the fall (which can cause heat stroke to those who don't have AC or work outside in places that average highs in the mid 70s in peak summer).

While SF too cold for my preferences, the range of 45-65 F most of the year means no risk of heat-related injuries (LOL), yet it never below freezing so frostbite is impossible. The rain falls largely as light rain or drizzle with no thunderstorms so no risk of severe weather and no one has been struck by lightning. Flooding is rare. Hail is unheard of. Tornadoes are impossible. Ice and snow are impossible. I don't believe anyone in SF has ever died as a result of the weather. I don't count those who died of hypothermia when trying to escape Alcatraz by swimming in that frigid ocean though.

What other cities in the world also have had no weather related deaths and very low rates of damage and injuries?
not with those earthquakes SF isn't, unless you don't consider earthquakes as part of the weather. and as much as i like Southern California, there is too much risk for wildfires.

My area in Northeastern Florida is actually pretty safe compared to other areas in the south, though it is far from what i would consider safe overall. yes everyone's initial thought is hurricanes but the land slopes inward as you travel north in the state which makes hurricane landfalls very rare in my area. in fact i think Northeastern Florida has one the lowest frequencies of hurricane landfalls for the eastern half of the country.

yes there is a tornado risk with all of the thunderstorms we see but the risk isn't as high as other inland locations in the south such as Alabama.

there is also a fair wildfire risk in the spring that is higher than other areas in the south... about once every 5 years we get a wildfire scare in the area...

and of course the most frequent risk for us is lightning, being the lightning capital of the country after all... there is literally at least one lightning strike within 10 miles of my house every day during the summer...

Large detailed US lightning frequency map (2332 x 1802): (do spoilers prevent images from loading?)
Spoiler

overall a pretty wild place compared to many areas of the world...

----------------------------------------

anyway the British Isles would be my knee-jerk safest choice, i can't think of anything truly terrifying that happens in Northwestern Europe, except maybe dying of boredom

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 08-27-2015 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 07:27 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,275,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
not with those earthquakes SF isn't, unless you don't consider earthquakes as part of the weather. and as much as i like Southern California, there is too much risk for wildfires.
How could anyone consider earthquakes weather? They have nothing to do with the atmosphere.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:09 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
How could anyone consider earthquakes weather? They have nothing to do with the atmosphere.
the weather is quaky today

Old 08-29-2015, 09:08 PM

lol well what i wrote isn't what i was thinking in my head.

i think of earthquakes to tie in with weather because they are both natural phenomena of our planet that are often dictated by global variables (or variables on a large scale).

because if you don't count them, it just doesn't make much sense otherwise. with something as obvious and unavoidable as earthquakes anyway...

hmmm... now that i think about it, mountainous locations tend to be very safe. less weather, less danger i suppose.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Just because a hurricane doesn't make landfall in your county doesn't mean it's safe from hurricanes.. surely a hurricane can make landfall near Miami but then move west over Tampa.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Just because a hurricane doesn't make landfall in your county doesn't mean it's safe from hurricanes.. surely a hurricane can make landfall near Miami but then move west over Tampa.
true, but most of the damage from a hurricane happens when it makes landfall, at the location where it makes landfall. then it starts weakening with less subsequent damage to nearby locations. i've lived here for 10 years and i can't think of anything beyond a few storm bands from a few hurricanes which didn't amount to much more than an average summer day of t-storms. the last time a hurricane hit our general area was back in 1964.

speaking of tropical storms, we have had a few over the years. the last one being Beryl in 2012.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropic...m_Beryl_(2012)

our highest chance of seeing a storm is probably early in the season, and they are fairly weak.

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 08-30-2015 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 06:47 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
I wonder which Australian city has safe weather? Eucla and Ceduna do come in mind, but they're not even cities.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:31 PM

i imagine Albany is relatively safe... prone to heat waves like the rest of AU but not as bad as the major cities. though i suppose some may consider Canberra as a safer location.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 PM

680 posts, read 648,718 times
Canberra or Hobart maybe? Without those pesky heatwaves, Melbourne would certainly make the list. Anywhere along the south coast of Victoria, specifically the Great Ocean Road would be a contender I'd assume...?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
i imagine Albany is relatively safe... prone to heat waves like the rest of AU but not as bad as the major cities. though i suppose some may consider Canberra as a safer location.
Hmm..Perhaps Albany would be, but I think it can be intrusively windy and rainy in winter (where trees would fall). Canberra has rather frosty nights in winters (i.e. frostbites). Its summers are prone to bushfires (if you can call that "weather"). So not sure about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
Canberra or Hobart maybe? Without those pesky heatwaves, Melbourne would certainly make the list. Anywhere along the south coast of Victoria, specifically the Great Ocean Road would be a contender I'd assume...?
Hobart might be a good contender. Don't know if it gets heavy winds though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather