Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 34,415 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are possibly relocating to Kitsap County this summer from the Midwest. Any tips on good cities/neighborhoods to look into? We have a 2 year old and are very active and like to be outdoors. We are looking for family-friendly neighborhoods with playgrounds nearby, walking trails, bike trails, etc... Also, do any of the cities have a good Parks and Rec Board with activities for stay-at-home Moms and little ones? ie: gymnastics, dancing...

Any tips would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Poulsbo.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:00 AM

Are there certain neighborhoods in Poulsbo that you would recommend? Thank you!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:17 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
All of Poulsbo is pretty nice, but anything close to the water/downtown is especially appealing to me. I'm a sucker for nice older homes, and around downtown Poulsbo are nice older homes with amazing views.
But I recognize that my taste in homes is not the same as everyone else's. Poulsbo has lots of newer homes as well. It's in a great school district and people like living there.
Bainbridge Island is also lovely, just quite a bit more expensive.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM

We love old homes too. The 1 1/2 story we live in now was built in 1947. They have so much more character but we are not opposed to newer homes as long as they're in a good neighborhood. We will probably come out in the next month or two to look at some homes to either rent or buy. Thanks again for all of the info. The internet helps but it's pretty limited on what kind of info you find. I find it's always best to go off of referrals or better yet, go check it out in person.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,548 times
I'm biased towards older homes too, but mostly because we lived in cookie cutter subdivisions in IL and FL before moving to Poulsbo two years ago. When we were looking for a house here we were only interested in an older neighborhood with an eclectic mix of homes, and we really wanted to be near downtown. We found a great 1954 home (with the bonus of a year-round stream meandering through the backyard) in a great neighborhood two blocks from the Liberty Bay waterfront and just a few blocks from the quaint downtown area. We absolutely love our location! In addition to downtown, within walking distance is a biking/walking trail along the waterfront, Lions Park playground, Central Market, library, medical & dental services, and the weekly farmer's market (we were there this morning).

Our neighbors here are a mix of ages from retirees to young families with kids, and all have been very friendly and welcoming. We have impromptu neighborhood gatherings often. I know there are mom & tot activities available locally but I don't have the details--we also have gymnastics classes, dance, sports, etc. Google Poulsbo Parks & Recreation programs, and also try Poulsbo gymnastics (for private groups). For extended shopping & services, Silverdale is nearby and has a mall plus Costco, as well as many chain stores and restaurants. Come check out VikingFest in Poulsbo next month, May 15-17--although not exactly representative of a normal weekend around here, it is a lot of fun!

Lynn

Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 PM

I love how you said your neighbors are a mix of retirees and young families with kids. That's exactly what we are looking for! We love having get-togethers with the neighbors. I was checking the demographics of the city and it doesn't seem as diverse as others. Are there many Asians in the area? (I am Filipino and my husband is Caucasian) It's not really a huge concern of mine since I grew up being a minority my whole life living in the Midwest

LMB, thanks for all of the neighborhood info. I'm anxious to come out and see the city in person. We were in Bremerton last summer and drove through Silverdale on our way to ONP but I don't think we drove through Poulsbo. I wish we would have, it sounds like a beautiful town.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,548 times
There are Asians living here, but I have no idea what percentage. Not as high as Seattle, but maybe higher than some areas of the Midwest. There are lots of Asian foods in the grocery stores and several Asian restaurants in the area. We do have a few minorities in our neighborhood--but quite honestly I had to stop and think about it when you asked. I don't consider them different from our other neighbors. Granted, my perspective is from a Caucasian viewpoint, and a minority here may have a differing opinion. Our neighborhood is certainly welcoming, friendly, and inclusive--and I feel Poulsbo overall has that vibe. You'll be able to tell a lot from a visit. Go to Central Market, take your child to Lions Park playground, visit the library, take in a movie, explore the downtown area and the neighborhoods surrounding downtown, walk along the waterfront, check out the suburbs, Home Depot and yes, even Wal-Mart too. :-) These are the things that give you a sense of what daily life here is like. It's not for everyone, but it sure fits us. Good luck with your search!

Lynn

Old 04-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Lynn, thank you for all of the information. It's great to hear that there are Asian grocery stores and restaurants in the area. I'm still working on my cooking skills Poulsbo sounds like a wonderful little town. It's good to know that there are big box stores and small town shops - it seems like a good mix so we won't have to drive far if we need anything. I'm looking forward to visiting this summer! And I will definitely make sure we visit all of the places you listed too. Thanks again!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 PM

14 posts, read 55,424 times
Are there alot of young couples living in Poulsbo? Also is it easy to meet people? Are people pretty friendly? Thinking of moving here just wanted to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington