Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:05 PM

479 posts, read 2,224,154 times

Advertisements

I don't think you can go wrong with either Olympia or Tacoma (Proctor area). It will just depend which feels better to you. I personally love Olympia!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...d-olympia.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 21,474 times
Default Are there good beaches near Olympia

Hi, I know this is off topic, but I did not want to start a new thread, as some people here may know the answer. I recently moved to Olympia. I wanted to get a short swim in. I have checked out some places. I went to Long Lake, but it was roped off and crowded. Are there places that you would recommend for a swim. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,570 times
there are not many fresh water places but there is tolmie state park that is salt water and long lake the life gaurds are gone after 7pm each night it usally clears out after they are gone.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM

20 posts, read 89,936 times
excuse me for borrowing this thread. I am really curious, does anyone know of the S Prospect St (south tacoma, below tacoma mall) in tacoma? Just wondering how secure is that place, i have checked on crimespot website, for the last 10 years, that place doesnt have a single crime on, and there is a biking trail surrounded by the forest seem really neat, wondering how safe is it travelling there. Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2022, 04:27 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,229 times
So, a dozen years after the initial post, what has changed, which are more desirable in 2022?

Old 01-23-2022, 04:45 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
So, a dozen years after the initial post, what has changed, which are more desirable in 2022?

This post is a blast from the past.

I wish things were still as simple as they were then. No homeless camps above in that time, no COVID.

The biggest change all three places probably, are the number of homeless campers along the freeway and in the woods in certain areas. It's a problem we still have to solve... as a community, and as a country. It's not unique to this area, and will take a different thread to solve it. The homeless areas are avoidable, I live quite a ways out of town and have no trouble at all avoiding areas with homeless camps in the areas I frequent and shop in... but they're around and you'll see them.

Prices have gone up a LOT.... lots of people moving in and growth, but we're still more affordable in and around Olympia than Tacoma is. Bremerton is still a good choice too.

There's still parks and green spaces here, as above... Many of our good restaurants have survived COVID (but not all, unfortunately!)

I have a hard time answering "more desirable" because people desire different things. It depends.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:31 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinGal View Post
Hey folks,

-I like to bike/inline skate so a paved route in the vicinity is a nice perk.
Inline skating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tslvwBVmSp4 (the focus issue at the start fixes itself)

Old 01-24-2022, 05:00 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This post is a blast from the past.

I wish things were still as simple as they were then. No homeless camps above in that time, no COVID.

The biggest change all three places probably, are the number of homeless campers along the freeway and in the woods in certain areas. It's a problem we still have to solve... as a community, and as a country. It's not unique to this area, and will take a different thread to solve it. The homeless areas are avoidable, I live quite a ways out of town and have no trouble at all avoiding areas with homeless camps in the areas I frequent and shop in... but they're around and you'll see them.

Prices have gone up a LOT.... lots of people moving in and growth, but we're still more affordable in and around Olympia than Tacoma is. Bremerton is still a good choice too.

There's still parks and green spaces here, as above... Many of our good restaurants have survived COVID (but not all, unfortunately!)

I have a hard time answering "more desirable" because people desire different things. It depends.
I agree it is hard to find Desirable locations because everyone is looking for different things.
This when a road trip, to look and see what has changed for the worse or better in the area's.
Good post from the past!!

Old 01-30-2022, 05:35 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,229 times
We are so torn between Olympia and Vancouver. Both are so great for outdoor activities. Love the charm of Oly and the proximity to the sound, the peninsula, Seattle and BC. Yet Vancouver is great too, with the gorge and proximity to Oregon coast, and feels like its got more going on and just a hop to PDX. We know of the homeless issues, but frankly I don't see us living where would have to deal with it often. When in Oly in October, we walked around Capitol Lake and just stayed across the street from the camp.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:43 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I agree you can easily live in the Olympia area and not be impacted by the homeless issue. We do. We live out of town in Rochester. Tumwater has all the major shopping and is better than Downtown Oly, parts of Lacey are good. Parts of Olympia are good. You can get around it. I just wish we didn't have to. It wasn't always like this. I hope it won't always be.

I happen to think there is a lot MORE variety of outdoor activity here, within an hour, than in Vancouver. We can *almost* get to ocean or mountain snow, or hiking trails, or the best salt water boating anywhere on Puget Sound. We're right in the middle of lots of good things... but then... I'm biased. We are a smaller city... But we don't do many city things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington