Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 10:06 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,448,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
What are you ranting about? In order to move into a unit there is a deposit. If you damage the unit as described in the original post here, your deposit is kept and the owner is welcome to take further legal action, as the OP is considering. You sound deranged.
Talk about ranting....your reading skill are a little lacking.

Deranged??? If you had read the OP. the person they wanted to get rid of wasn't renting an apartment he/she were freeloading. No deposit necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 10:16 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,110,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood12 View Post
One thing to add, she is 45yo trust fund kid. Her family have the funds but she isn’t allowed near it from what I can piece together. They pay for her car and give her an allowance but don’t talk to her. Her family are in a position to settle her debts and I imagine do not want attention. If I do have a potential path forward whereby her family might recover my damages, it could offer me a way to ensure I do not end up significantly out of pocket.

Ro the poster that said there are arguments against all my comments, I’m not looking to really discuss that here, that was for context. I’m only interested in determining a path forward regarding my trashed hardwood floors, and if/how to proceed. Thanks so much all
Here's a summary from lawyers.com that summarizes the possible remedies...

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/i...-property.html

The dilemma, IMO, is whether to commit money to pursuing legal action which may or may not result in any payment.

Last edited by hikernut; 10-30-2023 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-30-2023, 11:10 AM

32,717 posts, read 48,321,659 times
That friend who talked you into taking her in isn't much of a friend. I suggest that you be cautious about that one in the future. They are not concerned about your safety or well being.

I won't point out the lesson that you should have leaned form this because I assume you have been able to figure that out on your own.

You can bill her for dirt and damage, as long as you can prove it was her and not you. The floors, sorry, that is completely wear and tear and she isn't liable for it. Wear and tear is "damage" that would have occurred no matter who was in the house. If the finish wore off from walking on the floor, the finish would have worn off with anyone walking on the floor. Damage to the floor that you could charge for would be things like cigarette burns and paint or grease spilled on the floor. Things that would not happen with normal people living on the floors.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:25 AM

7,548 posts, read 17,292,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Talk about ranting....your reading skill are a little lacking.

Deranged??? If you had read the OP. the person they wanted to get rid of wasn't renting an apartment he/she were freeloading. No deposit necessary.
You weren't commenting on the original post. You were talking about people renting in "liberal strongholds," as evidenced by the actual words in your post. Hello?

Old 10-30-2023, 03:39 PM

3,316 posts, read 1,787,169 times
File under "No good deed goes unpunished." and let that be a lesson to ya.
Seriously tho, good luck.

Old 10-30-2023, 06:13 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,110,132 times
When my kids were growing up I used to tell them that (whether it’s fair or not) they will be judged by who they choose to associate with.

My advice is to write this off as a life lesson than be thankful that this didn’t end up costing you more.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:14 PM

6,497 posts, read 4,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood12 View Post
One thing to add, she is 45yo trust fund kid. Her family have the funds but she isn’t allowed near it from what I can piece together. They pay for her car and give her an allowance but don’t talk to her. Her family are in a position to settle her debts and I imagine do not want attention. If I do have a potential path forward whereby her family might recover my damages, it could offer me a way to ensure I do not end up significantly out of pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That friend who talked you into taking her in isn't much of a friend. .
Yeah, sounds like this "friend" should've contacted the family who supposedly holds the purse strings and let them know they need to send her the funds to secure housing.

Something smells here. If I knew someone who was allegedly in dire straits yet was sitting on a ton of cash, I'm afraid I wouldn't consider them to be a charity case. (And it sounds like this is another case of, "If someone needs help and their own friends/family won't help, ask yourself why that is...")

Old 10-31-2023, 10:03 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,448,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
You weren't commenting on the original post. You were talking about people renting in "liberal strongholds," as evidenced by the actual words in your post. Hello?

I fail to see the word 'renting' in my post. See actually words below.....

Quote:
Grin and bear it. In liberal strong holds that would not be considered a crime just a the price of living under liberal rule....
Again your reading skills are lacking.

Old 10-31-2023, 02:31 PM

7,548 posts, read 17,292,109 times
What?

Old 11-01-2023, 01:18 PM

102,285 posts, read 108,372,129 times
OP, I realize you only posted to hopefully get suggestions on how to proceed, but forgive me for my curiosity; I'm wondering if your friendship with the person who suggested you help out the now-departed trainwreck will survive this debacle. Of course, at the moment you have more pressing concerns to deal with.

The only suggestion would be to consult with a real estate lawyer, but they'll probably tell you what you already know; without any kind of rental document, you have no grounds to pursue any kind of legal action. You did have a verbal agreement for short-term residency, but the extent to which that could be considered a verbal "contract" is doubtful. Anyway, I wish I had better news for you.

There's a chance you could approach the parents yourself, and hope for the best. As you can imagine, that may not go over well, but you never know. It's worth a shot if you can manage to approach them in the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington