Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 11:50 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,746,626 times

Advertisements

Andy, depending on the time you have to spend, consider doing Orcas Island and Friday Harbor/San Juan Island. Hit the San Juan vineyards store/wine tasting, dinner on the harbor in Roche, do the "loop" and see Lime Kiln park, South Beach, etc. I won a X-mas party prize at work with a weekend at the Friday Harbor House and all the above on the "loop" included, and it was a great time. I'm not sure how Covid and the labor shortage has affected these venues and I know ferries are far fuller and sailings cancelled often for lack of staff. YMMV now.
We went this time of year, not being fans of the zoo it is during the summer. Coat weather, but still very enjoyable.
Note: San Juan's south park has a large field up by the parking area that was teeming with rabbits and red/silver foxes prancing around when we were there...it was something else to see. One of the foxes came right up to the car...

https://www.fridayharborhouse.com/sp...ail.php?id=463

San Juan Island to-do list/map.

San Juan Island - Sights & Things To See
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 09:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,101,844 times
Thanks so much all.
I appreciate it.

We found a nice b&b on Orcas island that is dog friendly.
It looks surprisingly nice for the modest price.
Price is listed at $68 but when all is said and done it’s like $120 and I’m more than fine with that.

Our plan is to,
Catch the first ferry from PT to Coupville, then the Anacortes ferry to Orcas island, explore/enjoy then spend the night.
Catch the ferry to Sidney visit the family and spend the night.
Catch the last Victoria ferry to PA and drive home.
I think this should be a cool loop for us to do.

On funny note,
We are 25 or so miles as the crow fly’s from a bunch of our family and because of the Strait plus that international border it’s one of the longest 25 mile journeys I’ve known.

Old 10-21-2023, 12:50 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,719,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Catch the ferry to Sidney visit the family and spend the night.
Catch the last Victoria ferry to PA and drive home.
The Anacortes/Friday Harbor ferry to Sidney was suspended, and as far as I know hasn't started running again.

Old 10-21-2023, 02:44 PM

8,185 posts, read 8,337,980 times
Guemes Island is often overlooked in favor of more “sexy” San Juan islands. Really laid back feel though, I like it.

Old 10-21-2023, 06:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

On funny note,
We are 25 or so miles as the crow fly’s from a bunch of our family and because of the Strait plus that international border it’s one of the longest 25 mile journeys I’ve known.
Time to get that dreaded boat.

Maybe someone who has to keep theirs moored, and seldom have time to use it would like for you to exercise it for them.

(6) of my SWWA coworkers keep their sailboats moored in Hood Canal or Port Townsend. They use them about 6 days / month.

Old 10-21-2023, 06:19 PM

1,856 posts, read 831,285 times
Please do a b&b review after your trip, we’re looking for a dog-friendly one.

Old 10-21-2023, 09:58 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
The Anacortes/Friday Harbor ferry to Sidney was suspended, and as far as I know hasn't started running again.
You're right! The WA State Ferry schedule for the San Juans has only blanks under "Sydney"! Why was it suspended: shortage of personnel? What a shock!

Old 10-21-2023, 10:38 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Please do a b&b review after your trip, we’re looking for a dog-friendly one.
I'm curious about the OP's B&B, too.

Old 10-22-2023, 06:24 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,101,844 times
The wife and I decided to hold off until next year when we can make the 4 ferry loop.
Seeing the islands going towards do Sydney on ferry rides sounds like a good time to us.
One of our good friends husband is actually a retired LEO and currently works for the ferry system, so I will know when this trip can happen
I will give a review of the trip and the B&B.

CalWorth that dog friendly B&B looked really nice and quiet.
It was on the north side of Orcas Island near the water w/view and cost about $250 off season.

I’m not the one that does the detail work on our adventures. I normally just agree to a plan and the wife usually finds really places for us.

We normally stay at hotels/resorts or rent cabins.
I’ve actually never been to a B&B due to my thinking that they are not so private and I prefer my privacy.
I know that places do have hidden costs/taxes/surcharges and I normally don’t think much of it because I’m usually ok with that.
However this time I did spent some time looking and reading about these B&B’s and frankly I was shocked.
There were a couple places that listed way way to cheap for what you would get then would quadruple the final price with hidden costs.
As an example one place was $65 per night (I know right ?) and their final cost was $249 (which isn’t out of line as far as I’m concerned) because they charged several hidden costs one of which was a host charged of $130.
With me never staying at a B&B I found this hidden charge souring.
I am ok with a room that costs $250 a night when I’m on holiday.
I’m actually even ok with spending more and I’m not a big spender
I just find this to be rather “bait and switch” because you don’t get to know the real pricing until you have seen the pictures and click book it to find out the final costs.
30-40% not an eyebrow raising issue, 400% and I start thinking of where else to spend my money.
Is this pricing structure common?

Thank you.
Andy.

Old 10-22-2023, 11:12 PM

5,496 posts, read 7,784,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're right! The WA State Ferry schedule for the San Juans has only blanks under "Sydney"! Why was it suspended: shortage of personnel? What a shock!
It was suspended during COVID when the border was mostly closed. I guess for whatever reason they don't have things back up and running yet. Probably some budgetary issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington