Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 07:50 PM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Being able to drive a long way only one day a week really opens up your search areas.
I live right at 2 hours from Olympia near Sequim.
I guess I could drive 2 hours one day a week but I don’t think I would.

Windy roads are not good for cars.
They really wear out tires, brakes as well as other things faster than a flat straight hi way.

There is also the chance that you might need another job and that would suck.
Getting stuck behind tourists is a real thing up here and can be frustrating when they drive 10-15 below the limit and refuse to use the pull outs.
I would recommend dropping down that mileage limit by a good 25%.

I don’t think you will have any issue with idiots acting like idiots in the rural ish area’s more so than the not rural area’s .
Our area is not overly populated and we all seem to get along just fine.
This area isn’t like some of the other rural areas I’ve been to that have haters.
I think there can be Jack asses everywhere and they don’t necessarily group up here.

Good luck to you.
Olympia's a straight shot up Hwy 5 from Longview. About an hour's drive, maybe a little more depending on traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 10:50 PM

1,829 posts, read 808,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Look in Raymond, WA and nearby South Bend, on the Willapa River. Look for rentals (if any) as well as properties to buy. These are very small towns, so there may not be much on the market at the moment. You'll see some semi-derelict rural-ish houses, but you can score a good one in the nicer parts of town. It's a little over an hour to Olympia, I think. Longview could work, as well. Again: depends on the part of town.

I'm not sure your teen would like being in a small town, though. Raymond does have a film and concert venue, and a couple of museums. Their art gallery didn't survive Covid, unfortunately. There are restaurants, coffee shops. Ditto--South Bend.
That’s a good idea, though. I have been to Raymond (passed thru several times}. It’s a cute town, former port/lumber, about 65 miles from Olympia. There are Craftsman-era houses for sale, with prices dropping to less insane amounts, probably going to drop more. Just be mindful of flood zones.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:31 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,704,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
How about just finding a nice quiet place in nearby Boston Harbor / Woodard Bay Conservation area?

Doesn't get much traffic, <20 min to Olympia.

A few friends live up there (very non-affluent / they all work for Non-profits in Olympia)

We have our co-op meetings there.

Yelm / Eatonville direction hosts many more eco friends (who are not wealthy, but have sustainable lifestyles).

But... with 18YO, I would stay very near a Jr College (or college) (plenty to choose from)
https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...!5e2?entry=ttu

Hint:... Gas, commute, time is not going to get less expensive or demanding.
Save your burdens, life dishes out plenty.

The closer you stay to Olympia, the less chance of rural riff-raff. (and altercations).

I've had friends nearby have to move, because rural LT residents(neighbors) would torment and threaten the wife and kids while DH was off traveling for months on end. And I have VERY nice and helpful neighbors. Not always the case, maybe infrequently the case these days.

I was thinking along these lines as there are rural areas with cows and horses 10-20 minutes from the capital steps and if heading out towards Boston Harbor or any of the similar snow and ice is much less of a concern probably due to proximity of the Sound

I consider these area the best of both worlds in every category except the cost tends to be a little higher than remote... and the Assessor has really taken a shine to my place too :-(

I had to go with Comcast Business Internet to get the best available as it got old having to cut and trim tress for Satellite Internet and that proved very expensive too and not near as reliable.

Within a radius from the Capital you won't find much in the way of shooting ranges and gun fire as there are prohibitions.

Being near I-5 also gives options...

If Internet is critical you can use that to rule out many areas.

The resell market is still brisk for the right property and rentals can also go quick if you find the perfect close in rural with amenities like fiber internet.

Don't discount the value of being closer to the office as time commuting takes away time for other pursuits...

I have co workers that found homes they liked and bought but needing to commute takes a toll... some now spend 2.5 hours round trip and that's if traffic is moving...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-26-2023 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-26-2023, 08:37 AM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
That’s a good idea, though. I have been to Raymond (passed thru several times}. It’s a cute town, former port/lumber, about 65 miles from Olympia. There are Craftsman-era houses for sale, with prices dropping to less insane amounts, probably going to drop more. Just be mindful of flood zones.
Yes, if buying, consult flood zone maps. But there's a section of town with nice older homes like you describe, that's up on a bluff with great views over the whole area. It's surprising how affordable homes are there, but that's small, out-of-the-way towns for you. (And former lumber towns.)

Old 10-27-2023, 03:35 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,738,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, if buying, consult flood zone maps. But there's a section of town with nice older homes like you describe, that's up on a bluff with great views over the whole area. It's surprising how affordable homes are there, but that's small, out-of-the-way towns for you. (And former lumber towns.)
I can't emphasize that enough. With the increase in "atmospheric rivers" in our area, 2021/2022 saw two 100-year floods and one 500-year flood. You have to tread carefully, because that "safe" hill or bluff could landslide(allthough much more rare than a flood of course).

Old 10-27-2023, 06:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,704,357 times
Some of the most scenic sites come with hazzards...

View lots and stable soil and forested within striking distance of structures...

Still remember the storms that took out power for 10 days in winter... many roads impassible from downed trees...

Just something to think about whether rural or in town, well water or city water, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington