Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 10:19 AM

6,261 posts, read 3,423,046 times

Advertisements

Right now in the US there are 54 nuclear plants in operation and three being built. Most are located in the East and Southeast.

Maybe if the Satsop nuclear plant was allowed to be built back in the 80's some of our high and getting higher energy bills wouldn't be climbing so fast. Seem to me wind and solar energy hasn't helped that much with most electric bills.
In contrast China is on a nuclear plant building boom (24 under construction and 150 new in the planning stage) and will have the most plants on the planet. While counties like Germany are closing down their nuclear grid which they are regretting because the Russian have cut their oil and natural gas imports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 11:10 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,740,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Nuclear power plants will not be built in Western Washington on a time scale that is meaningful for their contributions to our issues. Western Washington can't even agree to build a greenfield second airport despite Sea-Tac's obvious and compounding capacity issues.
Like I said, too many nimby's. You wouldn't believe how long many of this states/cities have raw sewage overflowing into bays and rivers before they finally expand the treatment plants, Dept. of ecology suing and fining all along the way. Mark my words, we will be well into rolling blackouts, huge increases in power bills, with homes and stores losing their food or having to have fuel powered backup generators well before and IF any new power sources come online.

France's high speed TGV train system was made possible mainly by a massive investment in Nuclear energy. Granted it's been 7 years now, but first class tickets for less than $100 US from Milan to Paris I thought were a pretty good deal for a train that does north of 200mph. The thing is, once out of Paris it's just alot of flat farmland and plenty of space to work with. We simply don't have the energy nor the space to build such a thing on the coast, the corridors are already too congested and topographically limited. Maybe that will be the next Washington state move, the new high speed train corridor using imminent domain punching through 7-figure waterfront home after home.....

Old 08-17-2023, 11:48 AM
46H

1,654 posts, read 1,404,427 times
It seems that the small modular reactors could be retrofitted into existing coal plants reusing the existing infrastructure (e.g. electrical distribution systems) and also retaining skilled workers from the coal plant. This would create a decent cost saving over an entirely new power plant. I hope they figure it out.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:56 AM

13,078 posts, read 7,541,093 times
Y to nuclear.
Add in distributed, Flow Batteries, at the old power locations because the wires, switches, zoning, are already in place. .
(I own stock in nuclear, lithium, and flow battery companies)
YPMV

Old 08-18-2023, 09:17 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
I'm in favor of nuclear power plants. The USA needs more and more electricity, for house hold, the legally mandated electric cars and trucks, and for AC because Americans are getting wussy. What used to be considered good summer weather is now life-threatenly hot at the exact same temperatures that used to be fine to live in, so much AC is needed.

My only issue is this: if the folks of Seattle and Olympia and big West Washington towns want more electricity, why can they not build nuclear power plants near their big cities, instead of pushing them off on their far away cousins who don't have enough votes to defend themselves so they get all the eyesores and undesirable structures?

Old 08-18-2023, 10:21 AM

6,261 posts, read 3,423,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm in favor of nuclear power plants. The USA needs more and more electricity, for house hold, the legally mandated electric cars and trucks, and for AC because Americans are getting wussy. What used to be considered good summer weather is now life-threatenly hot at the exact same temperatures that used to be fine to live in, so much AC is needed.

My only issue is this: if the folks of Seattle and Olympia and big West Washington towns want more electricity, why can they not build nuclear power plants near their big cities, instead of pushing them off on their far away cousins who don't have enough votes to defend themselves so they get all the eyesores and undesirable structures?
Well it little late for Biden's supported EV trucks and buses. Bankrupted. You can file that under the same bankrupt Solar energy company that Obama poured billion into.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/08/biden-...or-bankruptcy/
The temperature where I live (no life-threatening here) has been 100% normal...mostly this summer it has been in the low to mid 70' with an occasional rise into the low 80's which I will take any day. Today it may not even reach 70.

Old 08-18-2023, 01:38 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,253,448 times
I think the biggest medium-term threat to our energy supply is from new demand, not really increased local demand from the existing base. Once places like portions of Arizona, Texas, and Florida become destabilized due to combinations of extreme storm/weather, increases in average temperature, or lack of potable water, the northwest will be forced to take in a portion of those folks who have the means to relocate.

Old 08-18-2023, 01:57 PM

7,885 posts, read 3,866,155 times
I'm OK with removing NIMBYs from the grid. Turn off their power.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post

Do you think these modular reactors should be built?
What is your thoughts on Nuclear power in general?
Distributed Nuclear Power Generation is critical. No more silly fossil fueled energy stations in a state with no fossil fuel natural resources would have been a good idea 30 yrs ago.

Wind, Wave, Hydro, Micro-hydro... solar, geothermal, (and nuclear) all will need to play together and each play a role.

but... don't expect harmonious and practical solutions it to happen in a state where 3 counties control the will of 39 counties.

It won't happen, tho we needed it yesterday, as one of many solutions to power a better future for our kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington