Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 1,734 times

Advertisements

I live near Spokane and want to spend few days walking down a beautiful, sandy beach and eating fresh seafood. What are the closest, best beach areas for that in SW Wa and NW OR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 08:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Here in Washington there are:
Long Beach
Pacific Beach
Seabrook Beach
Ocean Shores - Probably the most seafood places

Our favorite place for beach and seafood is in Oregon. We will down to Tillamook, stop for cheese and ice cream, then down 101 to Otter Rock. There is a beach there as well as Mo's Seafood, and south about 5 miles is even bigger Agate Beach.

https://www.moschowder.com/mos-west-gallery/

Old 07-20-2023, 09:59 AM

7,539 posts, read 17,226,479 times
In Washington, I like turning north at Lang Lake/Hogan's Corner to get to Seabrook/Pacific Beach, rather than turning south to get to Ocean Shores. The latter is a weird town. It's fine for a visit, but I wouldn't revolve my trip around it.

In Oregon, I like Cannon Beach and Seaside in the far NW... also second the recommendation for Tillamook!

Old 07-20-2023, 10:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
WA - has more rugged west coast and much of it is tribal access only, but the parts you can hike to are nice, not usually sandy.
Long Beach is very flat and long, but not nearly as scenic and stuff to do as Oregon beaches.

Oregon:
Seaside (carnival town with a boardwalk) and Gearhart for sandy beach.
Cannon Beach for touristy high end nice beach
Hug Point State Park (very nice for low tide and sunset)
Arch Cape, quiet neighborhood less crowded and near Cannon Beach
Manzanita - nice beach (sandy)
Rockaway / Twin Rocks, nice beach (sandy, sometimes massive driftwood, sometimes none?) This place has group lodging and several homes to rent (off season) https://www.twinrocks.org/ I just really love the setting here, consider going for a 'work retreat': http://www.campmagruder.org/lodging-...modations.html

Tillamook is inland (bay)
Agate and Cape Meares (3 cape route near Tillamook) less crowded
Pacific City, nice smaller beach, very small town (Not too far from Lincoln City)

seafood - I prefer Ilwaco, WA (fishing port on Columbia River) Tho there are several places from Ocean City south

(oregon)...
https://bowpicker.com/ (Astoria main stay, EVERYone goes here, expect a line, go off hours) +/-, not my favorite.
Quite a few seafood places in west Astoria / Warrenton (fishery)
I prefer Sea Breeze (not on the water ... hwy 26 and 101) Halibut F&C + great clam chowder
Several decent sea facing eating places in Cannon Beach

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-20-2023 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-20-2023, 10:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofSpokane View Post
I live near Spokane and want to spend few days walking down a beautiful, sandy beach and eating fresh seafood. What are the closest, best beach areas for that in SW Wa and NW OR?
Do let us know when you are planning to come. (I need some items delivered from N of Spokane! (Ione) )

There are several seasonal events enroute that you might enjoy.

Consider taking a 'round-trip' route. Lots to see and do in Columbia Gorge and mtn crossings too. (OR and WA)

I've really enjoyed the presentations at Goldendale Observatory, and Maryhill / Stonehenge is nearby (Good area to overnight. Petroglyphs near The Dalles (on WA side), tours of the Dams + fish Ladders). Packwood / Mt Rainier is a nice side trip. as is Spirits of Iron (SW entrance to Rainier)

For Oregon fun, if mechanical interests... Great Oregon Steam-up (End of July and first weekend in Aug)
Hiking, Columbia Gorge
State Fair

Old 07-20-2023, 11:00 AM

13,065 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Since we used to have a family house (now sister's) in Pacific City (PC), I'm biased to PC and unfamiliar with other places.

PC has homes for rent, motels, and public camp grounds all within walking distance of the beach. Lots to do here, non touristy. Food is lousy, unless self cook. PrimeRib Nite (Thursdays?) at the Oar House was once reasonably priced, haven't done so for many years.

Mom used to catch incoming dorys, and score rockfish from them. She later switched to the local fish buyer/distributor (died from Covid). I did clamming and and some crabbing.
Pelican Brewery is as close to beach as you can get.
September is a nice time to go.

webcam: there are several, https://livebeachcam.net/pacific-cit...ch-webcam-new/
yvmv

Last edited by leastprime; 07-20-2023 at 11:18 AM..

Old 07-20-2023, 12:06 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,585 times
We enjoy Rockaway Beach for a bit less beach pressure, but still places to rest and shop.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:03 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
You're killing me. We had a six week Oregon vacation planned, to escape the Arizona heat, but had to cancel when I wound up in hospital. Augh! It's been 105°+ forevvvver!

We usually visit Southern Oregon, but pretty much every beach is worth a walk.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:41 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
We go to Seaside every November for our anniversary, but visit sometimes in the summer too. It's a fun town with lots of beachfront lodging, touristy shopping, some good dining, and a long wide beach to walk on. There are other small towns and beaches within a few minutes drive north and south you could pick too, and just hop into Seaside for the towny things to do. Cannon Beach is more trendy and probably the most "ritzy" place on the Oregon Coast. It has a fabulous beach and Haystack Rock that you've likely seen photographs of in "visit Oregon" advertising. It is a very cool beach and a nice shopping and dining town.

There are many, many other smaller and larger beach towns all along the Oregon Coast with long sandy beaches, mostly easy public access to the beach, and with unique dining to chain dining options. Our favorite stretch of beach is just south of Waldport to Yachats Oregon. Miles of uncrowded beach, a few hotels and rental properties, several beachfront parks, and great dining in Yachats, and some interesting shopping in both Yachats and Waldport.

Have fun. You likely will have a great trip no matter which little/big town you pick along the coast. Just consider if you want to be around crowds of people (to people watch and interact with), or want a more private feeling beach stroll with a fire, and hotdogs and marshmallows on a stick, for an on-beach dinner picnic.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 1,734 times
I'm in Newport. What did you have in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington