Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 11:17 PM

525 posts, read 718,929 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a possible move to Washington State. I don't know which city yet because it will be based on where I get hired. I have applied to several positions with the State of Washington. It will be either Bellevue, Bremerton, Everett, Tacoma, or Tumwater near Olympia.

I have visited the state several time. I am drawn to its scenic beauty and moderate climate, access to nature and hiking trails, liberal politics, open-minded and inclusive population, and many possibilities of road trips to Alaska, Canada, and the rest of the West Coast. I truly feel like Washington is a great fit for me and my husband with similar interests. We have two Pugs and we enjoy dog-friendly parks near any surface of water. We plan to rent an apartment for a few years before buying a house if WA State ends up being permanent.

In my opinion, I think Tacoma will have a good balance for us (not big as Seattle and not as small as Olympia) closer to Mt. Rainer and Olympic Peninsula than others. Gigi Harbor outside Tacoma sounds like a great place to live but I am shocked about Tacoma Narrows Bridge daily toll of $13 each way even with Good to Go! Pass.

Bellevue and Everett will be more expensive due to its close proximity to Seattle. Bremerton may feel too small to us.

Do you have any comments about Bellevue, Bremerton, Everett, Tacoma, and Olympia/Tumwater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 01:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Olympia sounds like a good fit, and have some space and access to both quiet / beauty+ metro.

What are your top 5 priorities in your new location? (including recreation, urban desires)

How long do you daily want to sit in traffic?
Are you bike commuters?
Any kids / schools / medical access needs?
What are your tastes in the arts / entertainment venues?

Are you more inclined to beer, or coffee, or wine? (There are regions favoring each)

(I have homes in WA, TX, CO)

Old 06-12-2023, 06:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,569 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We have relatives in Gig Harbor and just drove through there yesterday. The bridge toll is only paid going toward Tacoma, into Gig Harbor is free. I would suggested that you look at Silverdale and Poulsbo.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:30 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Hope this helps..The number of axles on a vehicle changes the rate..

https://wstc.wa.gov/programs/tolling...arrows-bridge/

Old 06-12-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Hope this helps..The number of axles on a vehicle changes the rate..

https://wstc.wa.gov/programs/tolling...arrows-bridge/
$4.50 for two axles going into Tacoma daily with Good to Go! Pass is not too bad. Someone made a comment that going into Gigi Harbor is always free.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Olympia sounds like a good fit, and have some space and access to both quiet / beauty+ metro.

What are your top 5 priorities in your new location? (including recreation, urban desires)

How long do you daily want to sit in traffic?
Are you bike commuters?
Any kids / schools / medical access needs?
What are your tastes in the arts / entertainment venues?

Are you more inclined to beer, or coffee, or wine? (There are regions favoring each)

(I have homes in WA, TX, CO)
I don't mind traffic as long it is no more than 35-40 minutes. I actually enjoy driving. If hired, my work schedule would be hybrid so I will only go into office 2 or 3 days per week.

We would like to get back into biking for recreation. We used to do it all the time until we moved to Texas. It is too hot during summer for that. Other recreations we enjoy are swimming (pool or a sandy beach at a lake/ocean), going to the dog parks with some kind of water surface, and easy to moderate hiking trails.

We do not have children so school districts are not important. I would like for my area to have good access to medical care because that is always good for long term as we age. My husband does have a congenital heart condition.

My husband is more into coffee and margaritas. I prefer coffee and wine (especially sweet and semi-dry white wine). I am not fond of beer.

We occasionally like to attend plays and visiting art/history museums including openings whenever they have a new or rare art/artifact for display.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:38 AM

14,473 posts, read 12,101,318 times
As everyone else says, the toll is only one way... on the new bridge. The old bridge had its tolls already and is paid off! :-) For now, until they have to tear it down to build a new one.

I live and grew up just South of Olympia and we have a family beach house near Gig Harbor.

Good restaurants and nice places to live can be found in both places. Olympia is probably still a little more affordable than Gig Harbor. There are also nice areas on the mainland side in Tacoma that are worth considering if you don't have a good reason to put yourself on the other side of a toll bridge. Puyallup and Buckley, for example, which are east of Tacoma and closer to Mt. Rainier and outdoor recreation.

Gig Harbor is nice, and less "gritty" than what Olympia has become. It has the touristy fishing village vibe towntown, and the more generic new development and shopping up by the freeway.

Olympia has nice areas, to live and go out, if you can avoid the obvious areas where homeless camps have taken over. These areas are mostly in the freeway right of ways and a few other areas that aren't hard to spot. Keep your eye out.

One thing to keep in mind... for swimming opportunities, people swim in a lot of our local lakes in summer, but the salt water beaches are too cold for most to want to swim, unless you want to get into a wet suit! The beaches are nice for walking and exploring, but the water never gets above about 56 degrees.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:38 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have relatives in Gig Harbor and just drove through there yesterday. The bridge toll is only paid going toward Tacoma, into Gig Harbor is free. I would suggested that you look at Silverdale and Poulsbo.
These, for a Bremerton job site, OP. You may be charmed by Poulsbo. Although it sounds like you're looking for something larger than a small town, you should still check these areas out. Well, if you're offered a job in Bremerton and accept the offer, these will be among your only choices anyway, aside from Bremerton itself.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:46 AM

14,473 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I personally think one should live as close to work as they can manage, if they have to commute. Traffic is not a fun way to spend time, I did the I-5 commute for a decade. I wouldn't build a commute in to a plan on purpose.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
If OP is serious about wanting a liberal political area (and neighbors), Bremerton/ Tacoma regions could be disappointing. (Military bases bring lots of jobs and voters).

Olympia is a sure bet.

The traffic and petty crime / homeless trouble near Narrows bridge / would be a negative. No sense dealing with negatives, if you can choose all positives. (very possible in western WA).

Agree with living close to employment. Bicycle / walk / home for lunch closeness.

Seattle central is quite bike friendly. Consider renting there for a 'honeymoon' period of time. You might like it enough to stay.

Left coast road trips... South on coast to San Diego, northbound through Sierras and Cascades (national parks / gold country)

Or... Ultimate... Alaska Marine Highway (Bellingham Ferry) one way, ALCAN highway return.

Enjoying North Cascades NP + Vancouver Island + BC + Alberta are pluses to WA proximity. Camping in Canada is pretty nice. Vancouver BC has lots of culture, food, and entertainment venues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington