Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 08:44 PM

19 posts, read 69,393 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we are looking at moving to Lakebay or surrounding area. We want to buy land and build our dream home. We have vacationed in the area on several occasions. I particularly love the feel of Bainbridge, Poulsbo, and Port Townsend, but we have found lots for sale in Lakebay that are closer to what we are looking for (private/wooded) and within our budget. I work in education so hope to be within a reasonable commute of a college/university, or if not that, the district offices of a good school system.

We are empty nesters and my husband travels a lot for work so making friends will be important to me and us. In our spare time, we’d love to go into the city for dinner and drinks, or to visit the parks. We travel often for leisure and hope to join interest groups to meet people. I enjoy bookclub for example. My husband likes whiskey and cigars. I can’t find much info in regards to Lakebay or life in and around that region. Any insight you can offer would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 10:34 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,239 times
Lakebay...never heard of that name before...is on Bainbridge island?

Old 02-12-2023, 11:54 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
I never heard of it before. Google maps puts it here. A tiny unincorporated community next to Penrose Point State Park.

Google Maps puts it 24 miles from the Tacoma Narrows Bridge which would be your access point to the nearest city.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
With only 5,000 people there, and 2,060 households there may not be many properties for sale, and you are somewhat limited on "new friends" to find, being rural with homes far apart. You might find a mobile on acreage, and live in it while building. The problem for me would be that it's in the middle of a peninsula requiring a 20 mile drive north, then east, then south to the nearest amenities in Gig Harbor. Gig Harbor will not have everything you need, with the nearest major hospital in Silverdale or Tacoma, each about 32 miles away. If you are in good health that may not be an issue.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:52 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With only 5,000 people there, and 2,060 households there may not be many properties for sale, and you are somewhat limited on "new friends" to find, being rural with homes far apart. You might find a mobile on acreage, and live in it while building. The problem for me would be that it's in the middle of a peninsula requiring a 20 mile drive north, then east, then south to the nearest amenities in Gig Harbor. Gig Harbor will not have everything you need, with the nearest major hospital in Silverdale or Tacoma, each about 32 miles away. If you are in good health that may not be an issue.
Sop what you are implying that Lakebay would make a better 'witness protection area' more so than Forks?

Old 02-13-2023, 10:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Sop what you are implying that Lakebay would make a better 'witness protection area' more so than Forks?
No, Forks has a bit more people with 3,385, but also gets 110" of rain annually which helps hide them out. Lakebay has a wet climate but much drier than Forks at 56" of rain.

Old 02-13-2023, 11:58 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, Forks has a bit more people with 3,385, but also gets 110" of rain annually which helps hide them out. Lakebay has a wet climate but much drier than Forks at 56" of rain.
I would imagine it will be more difficult for a newcomer to meet people in a rural setting like Lakebay. First of all because the geography doesn't lend itself to chance encounters with your neighbors like a more traditional neighborhood in an actual town or city. We have met most of our neighbors just by saying hi and chatting when out working in the yard, walking the dog on the local sidewalks, etc. When you are in a car-centric rural area with all the houses set well back from the highway and no one actually walks on the highway then that is more difficult. Also especially if there isn't a lot of mobility and people are basically old-timers who aren't really looking for new friends or acquaintances.

Old 02-13-2023, 12:26 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
When you are in a car-centric rural area with all the houses set well back from the highway and no one actually walks on the highway then that is more difficult. Also especially if there isn't a lot of mobility and people are basically old-timers who aren't really looking for new friends or acquaintances.
All true, anywhere in rural WA. And the side roads tend to be very narrow, no center line and no shoulder, just deep ditches that drop off beside the road. These roads aren't good for walkers.

Old 02-13-2023, 12:28 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
OP, it's a 45 minute drive on a good day from Lakebay to Tacoma (there's a branch of the UW there), and over an hour to Olympia (Evergreen State College). Those travel times don't take into account morning or afternoon commute traffic. Bremerton is directly north of Lakebay, a 40 minute drive, no bridge crossing involved.

It sounds like you need to prioritize your wants/needs. You've chosen an out-of-the-way location, but say you want a "reasonable" commute to work at a school, community college, or university. I don't know what your budget is, but if you want a shorter commute, you'll have to keep looking. You can find private, wooded lots outside of Pt Townend to the west and south outside the city limits. Also look in nearby Port Hadlock. Bainbridge would be more expensive. Have you looked in Pouslbo? Silverdale (near Poulsbo) has private, wooded lots and a good school system. Community college is within an easier drive than Lakebay from the Poulsbo and Silverdale area.

Here's some history of Lakebay. The Key Peninsula History Museum. You might find more info about community amenities and gathering places through them. https://www.keypeninsulamuseum.org/about/contact-us/

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-13-2023 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-13-2023, 02:25 PM

19 posts, read 69,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, it's a 45 minute drive on a good day from Lakebay to Tacoma (there's a branch of the UW there), and over an hour to Olympia (Evergreen State College). Those travel times don't take into account morning or afternoon commute traffic. Bremerton is directly north of Lakebay, a 40 minute drive, no bridge crossing involved.

It sounds like you need to prioritize your wants/needs. You've chosen an out-of-the-way location, but say you want a "reasonable" commute to work at a school, community college, or university. I don't know what your budget is, but if you want a shorter commute, you'll have to keep looking. You can find private, wooded lots outside of Pt Townend to the west and south outside the city limits. Also look in nearby Port Hadlock. Bainbridge would be more expensive. Have you looked in Pouslbo? Silverdale (near Poulsbo) has private, wooded lots and a good school system. Community college is within an easier drive than Lakebay from the Poulsbo and Silverdale area.

Here's some history of Lakebay. The Key Peninsula History Museum. You might find more info about community amenities and gathering places through them. https://www.keypeninsulamuseum.org/about/contact-us/

Thanks so much for this helpful information! We are not set on Lakebay, so I will definitely look into these other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington