Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2022, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,755 times

Advertisements

I am a Washington native but moved away 20 years ago. My husband got a job offer and we are moving to Olympia. 3 kids under 12. We will be looking at houses in a few weeks. What are some red flags we should look for? We have lived in Arizona for the past 20 years so are unfamiliar with issues PNW homes might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 10:06 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
This is a great area, and this is a good time to look. Places aren't going as fast as they were in our recent boom, and sellers are becoming more reasonable to contingencies and concessions.

Red flags? The main one is that there are, unfortunately some pockets of homeless camps around the downtown area, near the freeway greenbelts, and other greenbelts along creek and railroad right of ways. Look for those nearby any neighborhood you look in. I grew up in Tumwater, so I may be biased but I do think Tumwater is the cleanest of those red flags and has a great compact shopping area with Costco, Fred Meyer, WalMart, Home Depot and Walgreens all in one cluster.

Depending on exactly what you're looking for and where you want to be, Olympia, Lacey or Tumwater all have good areas, and there are great areas out of town too.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:44 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
Check the houses for mold or wet areas in the basement and garage. Sometimes these get painted over. This is a great time to look because you can see how the drainage is around the house. With kids, you want a yard that doesn't get so wet it's muddy in winter.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:21 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Mold and signs of a settling foundation. Leaky roofs, rotten fascia and roof sheathing behind gutters, wall sheathing and baseplates/sills/studs/wall sheathing in near ground lumber/structures, around windows and exterior doors, and so on. It's wet here.
Echoing Diane, recent state legislation has turned the homeless/criminals/druggies into a protected class. They are stealing the stores blind and at least in my locale, attacking and robbing lots of people, even each other. WA has no castle doctrine or stand your ground laws to protect yourself in your home or other place of being, you're supposed to "retreat" first (or, IMO, submit, and hope insurance covers it and you aren't raped or killed in the process).
How certain cities deal with it varies, and thats reflected in how bad it is, or isn't. YMMV. Bellingham, for example, is pretty much enabling it and we have over 1,200 unsheltered homeless now. The same people, arrested and released, multiple times a day in the police reports. Unsheltered = PC way of saying on drugs, violent, mentally ill, that none of the churches and shelters will take.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 12-26-2022 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington