Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 12:56 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Those houses built off the side of a hill without land completely under them sometimes fall down go boom.
I wasn't talking about those, but about houses that are on solid ground, but the property slopes to such an extent, that it wouldn't be good for retirees who are slowing down, and wouldn't be keen on having to hike up and down just to enjoy their own yard.

Diana's right, though; those houses are nearly 90 years old, some are older: beautiful Craftsmans built in the teens or 20's. Those and the 30's were good years for architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 08:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This isn't relevant to the discussion of residential areas being at risk of landslides, though.
If ancient storm drainage systems fail in older residential areas, landslide risks become pretty great. Older homes are often on block foundation, rather than a continuous pour. (Monolithic / more stable). Foundations in unstable soils were typically not 'pinned" until after engineers learned from Alaska earthquake in 1964.

Liquefaction is a very real and impending threat to western WA and OR.
Could happen in the next few minutes, or in the next 500 yrs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_liquefaction

Hillside homes on saturated soils will not fare well. (Old or new homes)

Christchurch is still dealing with it since their 2011 earthquake.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:21 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This isn't relevant to the discussion of residential areas being at risk of landslides, though.
Ruth,

Astoria residential neighborhoods are definitely at risk and there have been landslides. Combine that with the saturated soils and older construction methods that predate newer earthquake and other erosion/landslide building codes and it is a real risk.

Older, rotting wood at the foundation level make matters worse. I know people love those older homes for their romantic appeal, but after working in construction as a young man performing remodels, I would never buy such a home knowing the old methods used. Put that on a muddy slope with some lose, shifting soil and no thank you.

-- A History of Landslides

According to city documents: "Astoria is at risk of landslides because of its location on the hillside above the Columbia River and Young’s Bay. The extent of the landslide hazard includes most of the residential portions of the City." -- https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xml...pdf?sequence=1

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-03-2022 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-03-2022, 10:35 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
I think that’s how the treasure ship in the Goonies got stuck too .

Old 12-03-2022, 11:03 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Wow, thanks, guys! Food for thought. Thanks for taking the time to provide detail.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeecakes View Post
We spent a week in Trinidad just last December and agree with all you’re saying. It’s changed a lot and parts of older downtown Eureka are great and thriving. Of course my dream home would be in Trinidad but that’s like, expensive for a good reason. McKinleyville felt way too suburban for me now. Back in college (1998) it was a rambling tumbleweed hick town. It’s not completely ruled out but the overall vibe still felt like a generation away from losing that “hippy burnout” feeling. Hard to put it into words. A piece of my heart will always be there but it’s also another universe entirely and not one I’m sure quite fits the bill. I’m honestly looking for a place that I can immediately say; THIS. This is it. That chat with the coffee shop clerk or that mural and street exchange. I dunno. I really loved the vibe and story of Poulsbo but alas definitely priced out.

Perhaps I should also admit that the world overall is a general **** show. Perhaps we’re all just searching for our tribe in times of great fear, despair and economic uncertainty and general division and isolation. Perhaps I’m just looking for something mythical rather than a particular place.

But I digress…
That's funny, when I first heard about Poulsbo it sounded idyllic, like the perfect little town far enough away from Seattle and large city problems. It's right on the water with a quaint fishing village, town center, interesting Scandinavian history, community college not too far away, etc.. I think I had formed it into my own dream of what a fantastical little town could be. However, after visiting it and then taking a more realistic look at our requirements and preferences, it became apparent it wasn't quite the dream I had painted in my musings.

I think its easier to dream of a place, any place, that we are not as familiar with and imagine it to be like those things we secretly long for. Then, after getting to them, reality sets in and we begin to discover the true pluses and minuses.

That doesn't mean they are a **** show but rather they are not that perfect Shangri La we envisioned either. So, they 'could' still be a nice place to live and fun adventure to experience. But one may have to live with a bunch of new cons as well. And they will probably be lacking in things one enjoyed or took for granted back home. They may be more remote and not as vibrant a community as one hoped for among other less desirable things.

So, does that make them a bad choice? For some, yes. The major move is just not worth it. The real everyday life in town X is too far from the dream. While for others, its a great compromise with the cons being worth the pros. It's kinda like the honeymoon phase of a relationship vs. real day to day life. Eventually, you get it all, the good and bad. Is it glass half empty or half full like your current small town community? For some its probably great while for others, not so much. Only you can decide knowing what is livable on your own scale.

As for coastal NorCal, I think you know it too much to realize it far from that ideal dream. Or maybe it was that dream initially when first moving to school from the Bay Area. Only later did you discover first hand the less than desirable qualities. My only experience with Trinidad, for example, is that it is a beautiful albeit remote coastal town with lots of crime. That ranges from common car break-ins to home invasions, etc... While those negative elements exist everywhere, there are definitely hotspots and at the time Trinidad was one of them. Maybe that's changed now? I don't really know. But it's far from perfect with its own pros/cons like everywhere else really including other NorCal towns.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-03-2022 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-03-2022, 02:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Having grown up in a tourist town (Estes Park, CO), there is usually enough money flowing from 'dreamers' to keep the resale values of home above a reasonable entry point.

Best to find a small village a short drive away. Friends who targeted Poulsbo, ended up in Port Gamble or Silverdale (depending on their other needs,. )

Or... you can figure out a way to cope with an expensive RE area. SIL has been 'house-sitting' in Hawaii for over 40 yrs. She got into a group of wealthy people who travel a lot. No home required (for her).

Old 12-03-2022, 05:47 PM

1,824 posts, read 797,831 times
My kid went to school with a kid whose family had moved to our area from Trinidad. They had no money problems, even though they had lots of kids & no jobs. It turned out they had been drug dealers in Trinidad. I was/wasn't surprised. It was awhile ago.

Last edited by CalWorth; 12-03-2022 at 06:45 PM..

Old 12-03-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
My kid went to school with a kid whose family had moved to our area from Trinidad. They had no money problems, even though they had lots of kids & no jobs. It turned out they had been drug dealers in Trinidad. I was/wasn't surprised. It was awhile ago.
Even local low lifes know not to mess with drug dealers or it could their last heist.

There's good and bad news related to crime in Trinidad.

Trinidad violent crime is 17.5. (The US average is 22.7)
Trinidad property crime is 95.4. (The US average is 35.4)
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Lots of shady looking dudes roaming the area and broken glass everywhere. There were also numerous signs the police posted about recent break-ins. Overall, I found it sketchy especially after reading stories from locals about a rash residential break-ins. With no work up there beyond growing pot and dealing other drugs as their primary 'industry,' its kind of an interesting flavor of characters and sub-culture. Lots of retirees, druggies and homeless with some other random characters in the mix. Place your bets and pick your poison.

Derek

Last edited by Yac; 12-06-2022 at 10:09 PM..

Old 12-03-2022, 10:04 PM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Ruth,

Astoria residential neighborhoods are definitely at risk and there have been landslides. Combine that with the saturated soils and older construction methods that predate newer earthquake and other erosion/landslide building codes and it is a real risk.

Older, rotting wood at the foundation level make matters worse. I know people love those older homes for their romantic appeal, but after working in construction as a young man performing remodels, I would never buy such a home knowing the old methods used. Put that on a muddy slope with some lose, shifting soil and no thank you.

-- A History of Landslides

According to city documents: "Astoria is at risk of landslides because of its location on the hillside above the Columbia River and Young’s Bay. The extent of the landslide hazard includes most of the residential portions of the City." -- https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xml...pdf?sequence=1

Derek
Thanks Derek! Yes, that's why I said there are two good streets that sit on solid bedrock. I had researched a house that seemed like a steal back in 2012 and had been out at the site and the surrounding area and found out it was near an area of slide. What a view and it included the lot next to it that was just a rose garden with a hell of a view. I never pulled the trigger on any of my ideas (unfortunately). I just focused on the one I'm living in.

I have researched all over the area using various tools. There's lots of government tools; they know what every inch of soil is comprised of in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington