Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2022, 02:21 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,620,572 times

Advertisements

There hasn't been a thread that discussed this little 55+ community since 2013, so I thought I'd see if anyone had anything new to say about it. There are several houses currently for sale there, and it is pretty affordable for Western Washington.

So - does anyone know anything positive or negative about Ryderwood? Since it is a retirement community I thought that crime there should be minimal. Houses are older and it may be somewhat rundown? My main fear is that it might be very trumpy. Sequim is off my radar because of that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 06:38 PM

14,548 posts, read 12,185,505 times
I have never been out there, and have heard nothing about it positive or negative. I've looked at it now, on the MLS, and the places seem nice and clean and tidy, not at all run down.

I don't even see an obvious gas station or grocery out there on the satellite view, is there one? You're a long ways from anywhere, and it's a LONG dead end road to get there... I would imagine that alone makes crime rather rare.

Not sure what "Trumpy" would look like or mean for you, living there, but it looks like 83 % of voters out there this last primary voted for Patty Murray, so I think you'll be OK. (https://results.vote.wa.gov/results/...ts-101401.html)

Old 08-30-2022, 07:48 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
My main fear is that it might be very trumpy. Sequim is off my radar because of that issue.
They voted all the Trumpers off the City Council and fired the Q-Anon mayor. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vol30dTcOQQ

Old 09-23-2022, 04:53 PM

541 posts, read 1,732,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
There hasn't been a thread that discussed this little 55+ community since 2013, so I thought I'd see if anyone had anything new to say about it. There are several houses currently for sale there, and it is pretty affordable for Western Washington.

So - does anyone know anything positive or negative about Ryderwood? Since it is a retirement community I thought that crime there should be minimal. Houses are older and it may be somewhat rundown? My main fear is that it might be very trumpy. Sequim is off my radar because of that issue.
I drove through a couple years back and before that another couple years back. It honestly didn't change noticeably in that time frame. It seems everything is pretty constant. Both times it was quiet with just a small handful of people walking peacefully through town. Everyone was really nice that I saw and waved, smiled, etc.

Just note if you move there, you need to drive a good distance for any supplies such as food and other goods. There is literally nothing in the town except for a community hall, small post office, and a general store. Centralia/Chehalis or Longview are your closest locations for big box stores or medical services.

Overall, both times I've visited, it really has a town at the end of the road vibes. No one goes there just to look for fun (except for me, lol) and they seem to like their quiet, peaceful life there. If you are retired and like peace and quiet, I am sure it's pretty nice. If you want more excitement, this probably isn't the place. If you need a job, you will be very very very limited in our options. The community development company probably has a few jobs and volunteer jobs, and Cowlitz County has a few jobs for the water treatment plant and whatever else they have.

Since politics seems to be an issue for you, you won't like it there. Lewis County as a whole is conservative and red. But there are many nice, wonderful small towns to visit and enjoy.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:24 PM

5,469 posts, read 7,766,740 times
Are we talking about the Ryderwood that is northwest of Longview at the end of a long dead-end road? If so, it is pretty "Trumpy" My wife and I are closing in on retirement age and I can't imagine living someplace that isolated. Not just for the practical reasons of access to services and healthcare. But because we actually like to occasionally dine out and enjoy urban amenities. And don't like our social circle to be defined by whoever lives within 3 blocks of us.

According to Google Street View this seems to be the dead center of town. Not much of interest other than a few small homes and double-wides and two vaguely commercial looking buildings." https://goo.gl/maps/QsquvhLFm4F31Xu36

It is LITERALLY at the end of the road: https://goo.gl/maps/YH5K1NhhNwVrT4aP6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington