Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 03:00 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,754,208 times

Advertisements

I honestly wouldn't let it drive me from an area, unless I had related health issues. We bought a HEPA filter for the furnace intake, set it to "fan only" and stayed inside and binged on movies and series online until it dissipated.
I think what is more concerning, is that certain states need to better manage their forests by selective logging, adding firebreaks, and removing slash/underbrush, instead of cowering to these greenie groups that protest the removal of one tree. Its pure stupidity because the trees and animals they think they are saving, and anything else in the way, all burn in the fire. If they don't better manage the forests, it's just fuel for a fire every year when it gets dry and who knows where the next one will burn through a big development or town? Tree's have a finite life span and get dead/hollow inside and turn into dry kindling the older they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 03:07 PM

14,621 posts, read 12,292,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I honestly wouldn't let it drive me from an area, unless I had related health issues. We bought a HEPA filter for the furnace intake, set it to "fan only" and stayed inside and binged on movies and series online until it dissipated.
I think what is more concerning, is that certain states need to better manage their forests by selective logging, adding firebreaks, and removing slash/underbrush, instead of cowering to these greenie groups that protest the removal of one tree. Its pure stupidity because the trees and animals they think they are saving, and anything else in the way, all burn in the fire. If they don't better manage the forests, it's just fuel for a fire every year when it gets dry and who knows where the next one will burn through a big development or town? Tree's have a finite life span and get dead/hollow inside and turn into dry kindling the older they get.

Yes, this. Fire is how nature accomplishes renewal.

Logging is a lot better for everyone... The trees, the animals, the air, and the people. It's a resource, and allowing it to burn is a shame and a waste.

Old 09-03-2022, 04:08 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,754,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes, this. Fire is how nature accomplishes renewal.

Logging is a lot better for everyone... The trees, the animals, the air, and the people. It's a resource, and allowing it to burn is a shame and a waste.
I agree. My uncle served on a reserve fire crew for several years, he was amazed at the amount of animals that would sometimes swarm them when working the front line and how tame some were like they would stand near them as if saying "help us!". Others of course would be running full speed and shoot between the crewmen to get away. He was also saddened when they would find a bunch of burned remains where the fire pushed them into a place where they were trapped or closed in around them.

Old 09-03-2022, 04:59 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,071,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Whidbey Island might be a great suggestion for you. Relatively minimal wildfire/smoke risk. Mild winters, but it is an island in the Puget Sound so there is a typical amount of PNW-style winter. Oak Harbor is the main town there, but other small villages (Coupeville) are easily commutable to Oak Harbor too.

A second recommendation: Port Angeles is out on the Olympic Peninsula and is well known as a retiree spot due to its uniquely warm weather for this area.

Third: Port Townsend is a weird, nice little town with a medical center of some sorts (according to Google).
Did you mean to write Sequim?

Old 09-04-2022, 11:48 AM

102,300 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
OMG, I'm agreeing with rkcarguy!

I don't know if WA, or western WA at least, has the problem CA and OR do, of dead trees scattered through the forests,due to drought and/or bark beetles. Sometimes those trees are in locations where it would be expensive and very difficult to access and remove them, but there are plenty that could have been removed easily, as anyone driving north/south on I-5 could see for the last decade or two. It seems to be a budget matter: the Forest Service and Park Svce have had their budgets cut under certain *cough* administrations bent on funding tax breaks for people who don't need them. The result is super-heated wildfires and hundreds of thousands of people left homeless or accommodated in motels after wildfires rip through their communities.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-04-2022 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 01:04 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,092,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It seems to be a budget matter: the Forest Service and Park Svce have had their budgets cut under certain *cough* administrations bent on funding tax breaks for people who don't need them. The result is super-heated wildfires and hundreds of thousands of people left homeless or accommodated in motels after wildfires rip through their communities.
Yes, but the Trump Administration restored the budget cuts that Obama instituted. From the Congressional Research Service see page 2.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R46557/4

Old 09-04-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OMG, I'm agreeing with rkcarguy!

I don't know if WA, or western WA at least, has the problem CA and OR do, of dead trees scattered through the forests,due to drought and/or bark beetles. Sometimes those trees are in locations where it would be expensive and very difficult to access and remove them, but there are plenty that could have been removed easily, as anyone driving north/south on I-5 could see for the last decade or two. It seems to be a budget matter: the Forest Service and Park Svce have had their budgets cut under certain *cough* administrations bent on funding tax breaks for people who don't need them. The result is super-heated wildfires and hundreds of thousands of people left homeless or accommodated in motels after wildfires rip through their communities.

Logging and managing timber in National Forests would be a revenue SOURCE not a cost.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Logging and managing timber in National Forests would be a revenue SOURCE not a cost.
The environmental groups are TOTALLY opposed to any commercial activities on Federal land. They would rather burn down the National Forests and Parks than allow commercial logging.

AND they are being real successful. Currently, we are BURNING down TEN times the forests that we are managing and for the first time in the history of the National Forests we are at NEGATIVE tree growth.

Yep, the environmental movement has moved the National Forests from a sustainable resource, to one that we are losing at a rapid clip.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The environmental groups are TOTALLY opposed to any commercial activities on Federal land. They would rather burn down the National Forests and Parks than allow commercial logging.

AND they are being real successful. Currently, we are BURNING down TEN times the forests that we are managing and for the first time in the history of the National Forests we are at NEGATIVE tree growth.

Yep, the environmental movement has moved the National Forests from a sustainable resource, to one that we are losing at a rapid clip.

Oh I know that, and I very much agree. I think it's a tragic waste.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Oh I know that, and I very much agree. I think it's a tragic waste.
It is more than a tragic waste.

The environmental groups are destroying the National Forests and National Parks for centuries, Not years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington