Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 05:06 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

The Puyallup Fair, known today as the Washington State Fair, is definitely in the top tier of State Fairs. In my profession we worked these fairs from a media perspective so I associate them more with work than fun. But my impression most were there obviously to have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 12:36 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,369 times
What’s the quality of the animal exhibits? Horses, cattle, other livestock? That’s the draw for me for State Fairs. I have been lucky enough to live in two cities with their respective state fairs so it’s always been a very local experience for me. But an hour’s drive to Puyallup (obviously longer with fair traffic) doesn’t seem the end of the world.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:57 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
What’s the quality of the animal exhibits? Horses, cattle, other livestock? That’s the draw for me for State Fairs. I have been lucky enough to live in two cities with their respective state fairs so it’s always been a very local experience for me. But an hour’s drive to Puyallup (obviously longer with fair traffic) doesn’t seem the end of the world.
The animal barns are nice and well-kept. They have the 4-H animals that qualified at county fairs, the quality is high. There's also a draft horse demonstration in the late afternoon (if they still have it) that's fun to watch.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:43 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
We just moved up to Renton from Puyallup because of my husband's horrid daily commute. (I hour each way.)
In the three months here, we have only seen one film and have not done a single fun day trip anywhere.
All we have done is pack, unpack and repeat -twice.
One thing we have learned here already is time is a precious commodity because of the constant gridlock traffic. So, if the state fair is a tremendous waste of PTO (another limited commodity because of the many days relocating and moving to two different rentals in less than three months' time), we would rather know now and not waste the rare day off.
I have considered just waiting until next year (when we will hopefully be settled in and won't be in a state of battle fatigue from exhaustion), but thought some constructive feedback from longtime residents, fully vetted in daily traffic jams and the like, might enlighten us on what to expect and if possible, what to avoid.
For example, best days to go, decent attractions, tasty food (if applicable), parking tips, etc.
Thanks to all in advance of any comments made!
In 2017 when the Wife and I visited the Seattle/Everett area. Because we were visiting in September, i knew the state fair was in September. We went to the Puyallup State fair and enjoyed it. To us it was worth the trip to the fair.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:38 PM

148 posts, read 290,835 times
Thank you all for the lively, humorous info!
I think this year we will have to pass because of the massive unpacking ahead and more importantly, because of negative work reviews my husband received while trying to move out of Puyallup and into the Renton location. (His new company wasn't happy at all about his recent performance, and I think taking a day off wouldn't go over well right now.) In fact, we are certain he would have been heading for a layoff if he hadn't moved closer to the job when he did. He was definitely warned, LOL!
At any rate, The Washington State Fair will be there for us next year.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:39 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Good luck to him, hope he can mend those relationships now and be in good standing!

Old 08-31-2022, 05:28 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
Thank you all for the lively, humorous info!
I think this year we will have to pass because of the massive unpacking ahead and more importantly, because of negative work reviews my husband received while trying to move out of Puyallup and into the Renton location. (His new company wasn't happy at all about his recent performance, and I think taking a day off wouldn't go over well right now.) In fact, we are certain he would have been heading for a layoff if he hadn't moved closer to the job when he did. He was definitely warned, LOL!
At any rate, The Washington State Fair will be there for us next year.
Time helps to heal negative reviews in the long run. It will be forgotten in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington