Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 6,011 times

Advertisements

I'm done with Texas, but am looking for small town charm, lots of forested areas and lakes, maybe peace and quiet. Does that exist an hour outside of Seattle for under $500,000/3bd/2ba?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 11:14 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
doubtful.
Possibly a older condo, 2/2+HOA

Curiosity got to me. So a local zillow search in my area:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...21902846_zpid/ nice, maybe 5 min walk to transit center-30 min to dwtn Seattle on #545. The wooded area(s) in this neighborhood are very deep and steep ravines, and will probably never be developed. No idea why it seems to be underpriced. No unsafe areas of Redmond lowlands that I know.
Recent newsletter from our RE agent, 1.6 months inventory, Eastside (east of Seattle-Lake Washingon).

Last edited by leastprime; 08-23-2022 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 11:53 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad846 View Post
I'm done with Texas, but am looking for small town charm, lots of forested areas and lakes, maybe peace and quiet. Does that exist an hour outside of Seattle for under $500,000/3bd/2ba?
You won't know until you look!

But you will have to look pretty hard. And probably you'll have to compromise on something.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Do you like to be near population centers? "Maybe peace and quiet"

There are plenty of inexpensive rural areas to your interests, some are really inexpensive.

Adjacent NY props to MA Berkshires is not too expensive.

Drawing a 1 hr circle from Seattle and encompassing rural areas you can find <$500k props.

How big?
Rural or located within a small town?

Small (mtn) towns in Eastern WA can be inexpensive.

I'm 20 min from an urban area of 2.5m + and I have a LOT of peace and quiet!
Just sold an adjacent beautiful setting (small home, large shop, barns, gardens and 200+ ft tall old growth firs for $300k)

My TX prop ~1hr from Austin is very peaceful and quiet except on weekends near hunting season (neighbor's sighting in rifles all weekend). I leave and go further out into the country on those weekends. Been selling my (rural / view) 3bd2bath places there between $200k and $350k)

Friends from Colorado relocated to NE USA, and that did not go so well. (they were not locals with 200+ yrs in the community)

Old 08-23-2022, 12:16 PM

Someone mentioned Skagit Valley area is similar to The Berkshires in MA? La Conner was talked about, Mt. Vernon?

Old 08-23-2022, 02:46 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,281 times
I wouldn't say the Skagit Valley is like the Berkshires. It's an agricultural valley with the Skagit River (which floods) running through it. It's a beautiful area, but no real fall color, and it's conservative with large working vegetable and fruit farms.

La Conner is a tiny very cute tourist town at the edge of the river. You might look into Anacortes vs. La Conner. It has a couple of lakes in the community forest lands, waterfront and is a small town.

Sedro Woolley will have some fall color along the river.

The Growler jets fly over the Skagit Valley so you will get some military jet noise.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:24 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I thought I posted on this thread, but now I don't see it! (Ah - on edit I see there's a duplicate thread in Seattle subforum!)

Rural areas are usually *more* conservative than the city, but really should be tolerable for anyone. Our brand of conservatism is pretty libertarian.

You can still buy a place in the trees for $500K in rural parts around Olympia, Kitsap Peninsula. Thurston, Mason Counties would be a good place to start.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the info. Lot's to consider. Access to multiple airports, access to Europe, lower rainfall, museums, and less expensive housing have me leaning toward the Northeast. Looking forward to some snow at least part of the winter. Big change from Austin. Feels more like Mars after all the trees froze and died.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:35 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
All posted responses are really nice area's to be looking into moving. But I believe it is a feeling you get about a town, or area, when you visit for a look. In the feeling about a certain town, when you talk with resident's. And also if you can imagine yourself living in the town. I've used the feel myself and it works for me, a good potion of the time down through the years. Best of luck in your search.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:27 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Very unlikely unless you want to live in the 'hood. There is nothing near Seattle that has "small town charm." Not unless things have radically changed since we left. The nice places are unaffordable, and the affordable places are rundown.

The Berkshires are beautiful, but honestly, I found them a little creepy. Not the land so much as the attitude of the locals. Every time we stopped at a gift shop or a coffee place, the employees and other locals would watch us like they were afraid we were going to sprout antlers or something. It was creepy.

Small town charm? Forested areas and lakes? Peace and quiet? Forget the West Coast. Check out rural Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, or upstate New York. It has all that, plus four seasons and very friendly locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington