Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 10:25 PM

8,224 posts, read 16,752,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Having friends get caught in both the recent Concordia and Marylhurst College failures in Portland, there are concerns about the continued viability of other private U's. (One I attended an edu event last weekend is at 30% of previous student numbers, Ghost town). It would be wise to have a plan B on place. A few family and friends are Seattle Pacific grads, and 2 friends are attending at the moment. DS lives within 5 min so we visit frequently.

I think it's great that U's are reducing tuition, as long as they have sustainable methods to continue a high quality of academics and maintain the facilities.
Since you know a lot of folks who have or are attending Seattle Pacific, what are your general thoughts of the place compared to other privates in the PNW? I think of Seattle Pacific, Pacific Lutheran, University of Portland and George Fox in a similar kind of light, a sort of 'middle to good' private school tier. While not Whitman, Reed or Lewis and Clark, they seem to have a solid reputation and diverse sets of offerings. Though I do not have a sense of how financially solvent these schools are post Covid. I heard of some really bad experiences from students attending Concordia when it collapsed. That sounded like a nightmare for some.

I know there have been a number on chopping block due to major financial problems including the failures of Concordia and Marylhurst. I'm not sure which one you are referring to at 30% capacity, but that sounds like a death blow financially and possibly beyond life support at this stage. Oregon seems to a lot more of these smaller boutique privates.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-26-2022 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,793 posts, read 58,290,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
... I think of Seattle Pacific, Pacific Lutheran, University of Portland and George Fox in a similar kind of light, a sort of 'middle to good' private school tier. While not Whitman, Reed or Lewis and Clark, ...
I agree and friends have been happy and well served at the above, tho I would probably place Linfield slightly ahead of GF (Depending on program). And both are in a different tier than SP, PL or UP.

Whitman has been good for some I know who have pursued community development / gov planning jobs (As has WWU)

Reed and L&C likely better prepares students for upper level careers and programs in Academia / Law / Theology +/- as a financial future or a career choice. some make it, some will never make, many don't care (and that is not bad either! If they can get by, and are pleased, that is fine).

IIWTDIO as advice for one of my kids who did WSU-V instead of their first choice of UP, definitely UP was far better suited for where they headed and are now positioned. (Which is very different that their declared interest / objectives / intent at the time.)

LISTEN carefully to their hearts. I don't think that is easy to do at that age, but... you have a perceptive spouse. So listen to everyone's hearts My spouse was totally silent on the issue (as usual) and that fogged my ability to truly hear the hearts of my college bound kids. That did not serve them well, tho they have done great, they are not as happy or close to their potential as they could have been. Parenting is an art, not a science (and sometimes tough for engineers / type AAA (skill purposed) parents to see that).

I did not restrict the kids choices, I just suggested they could do state schools for undergrad, and then attend a prestige / desired college for grad school. Generally that may not be poor input, but it falls far short of the 'best' and most comprehensive decision process.

The choices are quite vast. I think I would recommend spend a day attending classes at each of your top few choices. "Tour Day" may not illustrate the student and staff engagement that can be so instrumental in edu outcomes. If students sit around on their hands (not participate) and profs 'over-lord' the discussions and teachings... I'm outta-there, and I know my kids would choose to be also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington