Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 08:16 AM

21 posts, read 29,113 times

Advertisements

Can the noise from off-road-vehicles blasting around the Moses Lake Sand Dunes be heard in town, specifically from the vicinity of the Municipal Airport on the NE corner of town?

Thanks,
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 11:44 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I went to flight school there at the Community College in Moses Lake a few decades ago now in a different life.

The Dunes ORV park by Potholes is a long ways from town. The freeway is closer, and both airports are probably noisier. The little Municipal airport is mostly crop dusters, or was when I was there. The bigger Grant County airport north of town has touch and go traffic all day from Japan Air Lines, and training flights frequently from anyone who buying new Boeing Airplanes. You'll see lots of different carriers training there in heavy jets. The traffic patterns from that activity will probably have more impact than ORVs at the dunes.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:03 PM

We may end up living near the municipal airport (I'm a pilot), so hearing the airplanes coming and going would be voluntary. I just know that I want to know what I'm getting into and so was wondering about other noise sources. Seems like the dunes are around 5.5 miles from the airport, and I'm just not sure how that sound travels. Your point about I-90 is good, though. I imagine we'd hear the drone of the traffic, but it's just about impossible to get away from that.

Thanks,
Jay

Old 03-24-2022, 05:27 PM

You'll hear the freeway traffic sometimes, it really depends on the air. We're a few miles from the freeway now and sometimes we hear it, sometimes not.

If you're a pilot, then the air traffic that comes in to Grant County is a feature. There's always something going on... When I was going to school there we saw everything in the pattern at some time or another.... including The new Air Force Ones (both of them) when they were new, for extensive training and parked on the ramp.... visits from most foreign and domestic Airlines that fly 747s... C-5s, unmanned drones from the JPL facility, fire tankers filming Always, night-time filming in a snow storm for Die Hard 2, and squadron of A-10s doing night approaches to an aircraft carrier painted on a runway. I was going to flight school then and we got to have a bit of fun landing on the aircraft carrier when they were done. That's the other thing though, lots of little trainers around from the college.

I don't think you'll hear the ORV park, you're more likely to have a neighbor with an ORV than to hear the park. They're not unheard of, as a hobby.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:48 PM

Thanks, Diana!

Old 03-25-2022, 10:37 PM

175 posts, read 366,431 times
No, you won't hear the noise from the sand dunes. You'll hear gunshots though. That neighborhood is called "the base", and it's sketchy.

I lived there.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
No, you won't hear the noise from the sand dunes. You'll hear gunshots though. That neighborhood is called "the base", and it's sketchy.

I lived there.
No, "The Base" is the area around the larger Grant County airport north of town which used to be Larson Air Force Base.
The old base housing is a mixture of private ownership and rentals owned by the county. We lived there too, as students.

This op is referring to the area around the smaller municipal airport East of town.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:37 PM

175 posts, read 366,431 times
I didn't realize there was another airport

Old 03-28-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
I didn't realize there was another airport

It is a much smaller little uncontrolled strip, mostly used by private planes and crop dusters.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:18 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
I use to go to Moses lake with my Family Mother, Father, brothers and Grand Parents Long Ago back in the 1960's.
I know I would not recognize the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington