Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More scenic route through WA?
I-90 17 85.00%
I-5 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 08:13 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,073 times

Advertisements

Heading up the coast would be far superior to driving up I-5. I do wonder after a long driving trip like that and getting close to your destination, if you may want to just get to the Seattle area. Since you’ll be living here you’ll be within a few hours of the coast and a couple hours from the Cascades and can go there anytime you want. I would want the most scenic but also the most direct route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 08:59 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,148 times
If you're doing the Oregon Coast, go north to south. Much safer, and more scenic.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
If you're doing the Oregon Coast, go north to south. Much safer, and more scenic.
Disagree. Safer? Not sure about that, but if you are a single driver your better views would be going south to north as you would have the bird’s eye view going north. Of course you should be watching the road more than the scenery! Of course this argument is bogus as you can’t lose in either direction.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:23 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Disagree. Safer? Not sure about that, but if you are a single driver your better views would be going south to north as you would have the bird’s eye view going north. Of course you should be watching the road more than the scenery! Of course this argument is bogus as you can’t lose in either direction.
Everyone in America should drive the OR coast.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:32 PM

13,066 posts, read 7,502,913 times
I was not impressed with Big Sur. Hearst Castle was closed last April (covid). And the top end of Big Sur is extemely windy, hugging the cliffs and blind, sharp curves. You absolutely need to keep your eye on the road and on coming traffic. Weather is nice when I toured in April. Weather along the coast of Oregon is still dicey and chilly but when the weather is good, its stupendous.

Suggestion: 3-4 days from Redwoods to Astoria.
2 days LongBeach to Portland. Portland thru the gorge, waterfalls, Bonneville dam to Hoodriver. You can cross the Columbia at Bridge of the Gods, Biggs (us97) or continue I-84 to Umatilla/Hermiston (I-82) and cross there.
2 days on crossing the Columbia to Seattle.

The geology is very interesting between Oregon and Washington ever though it's just a River that separates them.
Hotels are reasonable in the off season.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Disagree. Safer? Not sure about that, .....
Safer because the majority of points of interest require you to cross oncoming traffic 2X for each stop. Many high speed fatal crashes occur when crossing or entering 2 Lane highways. No sense ruining a good vacation or killing an oncoming driver because you wanted a snapshot.

Add a very curvy, limited sight distance highway, where drivers get in a rush. Add the interesting views that can distract drivers and you have lethal driving conditions that can result in high risk.

Any sites within a few hours will be easy (later) for someone who is relocating. Often once you get within a day's drive of your multi-day destination.... You press on to complete the drive. (You've had enough!).

Have a safe trip, enjoy the journey.
Call ahead to assure events and venues are open.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:48 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Safer because the majority of points of interest require you to cross oncoming traffic 2X for each stop.
Agree. It is safer to go south if you stop at scenic overlooks and stop often. Going south, it's a right turn. But it's not completely unsafe going north if you stop at towns and parks and do your sightseeing that way. We've driven it both ways, and done fine. If the only way you can go is north, it's still worth seeing.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:41 PM

1,348 posts, read 706,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I-90 b/c I-5 is not very scenic until you get to Northern California, IMO.

Please look at I-20, the Cascade Highway, also.
true

Old 01-02-2022, 05:45 PM

I 90 boring once you get past the gorge

Old 01-02-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Everyone in America should drive the OR coast.
and the calif coast hwy 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington