Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 03:48 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,749,284 times

Advertisements

Will it work? Without culling some seals and sea lions, I really doubt it.
Please at least do a page turn on WFDW's study PDF below. Salmon #'s are at alarmingly low levels and the culprit is very obvious.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/fi...s_briefing.pdf

Two big take-aways from page 9:

"-Chinook consumed by pinnipeds increased
from 68 to 625 metric tons (1970 -2015).
-Pinnipeds consumed more than killer whales
and all fisheries"(combined)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 04:47 PM

1,369 posts, read 718,074 times
Nice read. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,106,736 times
I am for reducing their population.
They are really hurting the orcas food source.
I’d rather have and keep having healthy orca pods.
What would you rather want healthy orca’s or thousands and thousands of sea lions?

We live near Tribal lands and they have done wonders to rehabilitate the salmon.
I know of several areas that have greatly improved.
The Elwah River area.
The Dungeness River area.
And even Jimmy Come lately Creek.

We should learn from these successes.

Keeping our salmon resources in healthy numbers will take several different things done right.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:41 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,692,818 times
It's like with cats. I love them but they are merciless bird killers and an invasive species. I only allow mine to go outside the rooftop patio and yet one has still managed to catch and kill two birds in his first year of life. Imagine that.

We manage and/or "harvest" lost of species. I don't know about here, but I recall deer overpopulation causing an ecological problem when we lived in Wisconsin. It sort of changed my mind about hunting as a sport.

Seals and sea lions are also very cute, but if they are destroying cornerstone species then they need to managed. I don't know anything about marine ecology of the area, but I trust those that do.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:05 AM

6,289 posts, read 3,443,094 times
The Fish and Game department has been pouring millions in Salmon recovery for many many years and so far all we have seen is less and less salmon.
IMO the solutions is put a restriction on gillnets, bottom trawls and Indian tribes placing a net barricade net across river mouths. Maybe even curtailing salmon fishing for a couple years. Reopen fish hatcheries.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:32 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,749,284 times
For whatever reason, our Puget Sound Orca's prefer salmon. I don't know if they will start eating seals as the salmon populations continue to founder, or if they will be all that successful catching them because seals can simply run ashore when being pursued and have plenty of places to do so in Puget Sound. In the 80's when I was a kid, we used to see an occasional seal or sea lion when out in my grandparents boat. Now there are so many they fight over "real estate" as the tide comes up.
The recreational fisheries have been the low hanging fruit for cuts to fishing opportunity and limits, providing an illusion that the state was doing something to help the salmon. In reality, the recreational license fees support the hatcheries and each license pays for almost 100x more hatchery fish production than the average fisher catches. The feds have also ESA listed many fish that recreational fishers have to release. Well, I can't count how many times I've been reeling in a non-hatchery fish, rock fish, or other fish I'm supposed to release and a seal gulps it down instead. The tribes have made good progress with their hatcheries but unfortunately I suspect it's just increasing the food source for more seals and sea lions.
2016 was my last year as a recreational fisher and boater. The state simply squeezed everything so tight and there was so many people using the same handful of boat launches from the 1980's it wasn't worth it. I liquidated everything. The few of my friends that still fish, go do it in Canada. They cull their seals, even offering bounty's at times, and it makes a marked difference in salmon returns and successful recreational fisheries.
I would like my kids and grandkids to experience it though, instead of telling them stories about "how it used to be".

Old 12-16-2021, 01:47 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,264,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I am for reducing their population.
They are really hurting the orcas food source.
I’d rather have and keep having healthy orca pods.
What would you rather want healthy orca’s or thousands and thousands of sea lions?

We live near Tribal lands and they have done wonders to rehabilitate the salmon.
I know of several areas that have greatly improved.
The Elwah River area.
The Dungeness River area.
And even Jimmy Come lately Creek.

We should learn from these successes.

Keeping our salmon resources in healthy numbers will take several different things done right.
Agree with this .

Old 12-16-2021, 07:58 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,960,984 times
Salmon hatcheries are a double edged sword. On the one hand they help increase populations, but on the other they reduce genetic diversity and interbreed with the wild population making the whole species weaker. For instance Chinook are no longer able to make it all the way up to the Elwha head waters like they used to a century ago, but the stealhead trout which are not part of a hatchery program are much stronger and have no issues making it up to the head waters and are flourishing there.

As far as the seals and sea lions, we probably need to start culling them, at least not until the transient Orcas start controlling their population, which by the sound of it, more and more are visiting each year.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:11 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,106,736 times
I like to watch YouTube vids on the Washington outdoors.
One guy said the local Sound Orca’s don’t eat sea lions because their mouths are to weak.
I am not quite sure I believe that but it is an interesting idea.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:01 AM

102,268 posts, read 108,310,604 times
WA State has a legal obligation toward the tribes to maintain the salmon resource. Good for Inslee for coming up with a plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: