Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I am 10 years or so away from retiring but I have done my research and have decided that I would like to retire in Washington. I currently live in Austin, TX. The reason I have chosen Washington over all other states is two fold. One is the state itself is part of God's country. I have been there a few times and every time I was there I just felt like this was a place I'd love to settle down in. Secondly, I understand that retirement income is not taxed at the state level. Coming from Texas where it is unbearably hot and humid in the summer, I have decided that I would not like to retire in a place where for most of the year I would not be stuck indoors due to the miserable heat outside. One problem though with Washington is the amount of snow much of the state receives in the winter months. I want to be able to work outside in the winter months as well as the summer months so I am looking at places that don't get too much snow or don't have average winter temperatures in the 20s or lower. I can handle 30s and 40s but not a lot of snow. I will have a decent amount of money to retire on so I am looking to purchase a ranch or raw land where I can build (say 500 acres or more). My ultimate goal is to have enough land to build a shop, house, and have enough land where my family (brother, sister, nieces and nephews) can also have space to build homes on as well. I digress. Ultimately I'd like to know if there are any suggestions on what part of Washington I can retire where there is plenty of land, trees, and little snow if possible. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 08:08 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
The climate you're looking for is anywhere west of the Cascades, but east will afford you more for money.

[url]https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/135-Lady-Bug-Rd-Oroville-WA-98844/102630258_zpid/[/url]

Old 11-24-2021, 10:24 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Eastern Washington has hotter summers and colder winters. There is only one really warmer area east of the Cascades in the winter, the Columbia Basin, which rarely sees snow. Summers can be hot with 8-14 100-plus days on average but everything is air conditioned.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-24-2021 at 10:40 PM..

Old 11-24-2021, 10:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Your fellow Texas attorney (poster from El Paso / westguest?)

Bought a large parcel on lower Columbia River (Cathlamet?) It was a clearcut previously forested area, needed reclamation. There were a few other adjacent parcels, of which you can find these in the western WA. Should suit your desires.

I keep (6) rural places in Hill Country Texas for the 280 days / yr I don't want to be in the PNW (accessible from AUS or SAT). Also keep rural props in Colorado for shoulder season, but Texans infiltrated Colorado and NM about 40-50 yrs ago. So no places is a safe get-away any more.

If choosing we_tern WA rural acreage.... I hope you enjoy working in the mud!

For multiple homes on a large area, become very knowledgeable of local codes,. Zoning and land use restrictions. My neighbor has 240 acres, but only one (very small) home is allowed. Even shop and barn sq ft is restricted in my area of WA. One neighbor lives in a 240x120 shop, but is no longer allowed to build a home on that parcel. Also watch for impact fees (converting bare land to residential) some counties have Zero impact fees, others $50k + (before permit and plan review.). Some have $100k+ required traffic studies (not including permits). Be wise, be informed, be flexible, bring plenty of dough. And be sure you can get septic and water approval (or you will not be building anything.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-24-2021 at 10:41 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 09:31 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
I like really nice real estate and I try to be as frugal as I can.
For me everything is a trade off and trade offs can be very frustrating.

Your money will go further finding a place that already has everything, or at least most everything.
You can add or remodel to suite your needs.
I know plenty of older properties that look close to new.
Californians are notorious for tearing down all but one wall.
The one with the fireplace so it gets grandfathered in.
Think in that mode and you will do better.

I saw that link that was posted.
When I was looking to buy I saw a bunch of similar places like that that I could have bought.
They are nice and all that but the locations/weather wouldn’t work for me.
The big kick that killed it for me was the taxes.
They run more than my very first mortgage and will do nothing but increase.
That just sits wrong with me.

Old 11-27-2021, 08:15 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraraptor1234 View Post
One problem though with Washington is the amount of snow much of the state receives in the winter months. I want to be able to work outside in the winter months as well as the summer months so I am looking at places that don't get too much snow or don't have average winter temperatures in the 20s or lower.
Pretty much anywhere in Western Washington will do, other than higher up in the Cascade foothills. Eastern Washington is hotter/smokier in the summer and colder/snowier in the winter.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:41 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Your fellow Texas attorney (poster from El Paso / westguest?)

Bought a large parcel on lower Columbia River (Cathlamet?) It was a clearcut previously forested area, needed reclamation. There were a few other adjacent parcels, of which you can find these in the western WA. Should suit your desires.
It was in Skamokawa. And yes, his username is WestGuest. He's now considering also buying around Humboldt County, in the NW of California.

OP, are you looking for land, or a property with a home ready to go? Have you looked at RE prices, even in the rural areas? Are you sure you can afford this? You might have some sticker shock, comparing to TX prices.

Lower elevations will have little to now snow. But some of the lower elevation areas have flood risk, as so many residents just found out a couple of weeks ago. Do your homework, if looking to buy in the general vicinity of a river.

Old 11-29-2021, 05:58 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Hundreds of acres on the westside of any usable land is going be extremely expensive with high property taxes. Make no mistake, Washington gets it lack of an income tax out of it's people via high property taxes, high valuations, and in excess of 10% sales taxes in some areas. There is no free lunch. Per the "total tax load calculators" (one on city data itself), many income tax states are actually cheaper, and offer more disposable income even if you make quite a bit less there. Do your homework carefully before you make a move.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:19 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Hundreds of acres on the westside of any usable land is going be extremely expensive with high property taxes. Make no mistake, Washington gets it lack of an income tax out of it's people via high property taxes, high valuations, and in excess of 10% sales taxes in some areas. There is no free lunch. Per the "total tax load calculators" (one on city data itself), many income tax states are actually cheaper, and offer more disposable income even if you make quite a bit less there. Do your homework carefully before you make a move.

Large parcels on the West side, though, are likely to be zoned rural and be tax classified as timber (or agriculture), which GREATLY reduces the tax bill on it. It won't be taxed at the same rate as residential parcels.

The OP may be surprised to learn that there aren't as many large parcels like that in WA as there are in TX. Here, many think 40 acres is big, and even hundred acre parcels are getting hard to find within easy driving range of any civilization. But there are some big parcels in this area. Most are in timber. One big one is right next door to me, and was just for sale. 1900 acres owned by a timber company. Still waiting to see if they got a good offer and how much it might be. Earlier buyers were negotiating in the neighborhood of 11 million.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 11-29-2021 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-29-2021, 06:36 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
We lived for 13 years in Texas before moving back here.

Honestly? If you want 500 acres of land for less than multiple millions of dollars you need to stay in Texas. That isn't going to happen in western WA. What you could swing in Western WA is some rural spot with say 5-20 acres where there might be a functional house and shop. But not 500 acres.

For example, here's 70 acres in Woodland WA (about 45 min north of Portland) with a house and a shop for $2.4 million and it has been on the market for about a year. I assume this is sort of what you are looking for? Or are you looking for ag land and not forest land? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...70577578_zpid/ But the chances of subdividing and building additional houses for a family clan are probably limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington