Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 10:58 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times

Advertisements

My Brother and I were looking to possibly build a home in the Chelan County area near to the lake. I was wondering if anyone has had experience building in Chelan/Manson and possible challenges or issues they have faced?

Additionally, I was trying to estimate what the cost per sqft would be not including the lot. Any rough estimates for construction costs in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 04:59 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Material prices are too fluid and just off record highs right now, builders and trades are booked out months and most people looking for everything from builders to handymen are having trouble getting bids. At last look, spec home-ish builds were running $120/sq/ft on your lot.
Likely big hurdles, the above put aside, are going to be permitting, dealing with wetlands, water availability, septic-if needed, and so on. The state has pushed such stringent code for these things that most new builds are going to deal with some type of "wetland", protected "rare" tree, insect, frog, or gopher that will require 5-digit expenses in the form of studies, mitigation, fee's, and a good 6-24 months of delays for these to occur as they will require all of these things to be done in certain seasons.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:29 PM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
My Brother and I were looking to possibly build a home in the Chelan County area near to the lake. I was wondering if anyone has had experience building in Chelan/Manson and possible challenges or issues they have faced?

Additionally, I was trying to estimate what the cost per sqft would be not including the lot. Any rough estimates for construction costs in that area?
If you're concerned about cost, buy the land now and wait for the high lumber prices to come down. We have good friends that moved from Bothell to Manson and they love it but prices have skyrocketed.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:14 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If you're concerned about cost, buy the land now and wait for the high lumber prices to come down. We have good friends that moved from Bothell to Manson and they love it but prices have skyrocketed.
That's a good point. The lot we were looking at has been on the market for awhile so we aren't in any rush. We would be using this as a vacation/rental property so we have no set timetable.

Old 07-02-2021, 04:49 AM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
That's a good point. The lot we were looking at has been on the market for awhile so we aren't in any rush. We would be using this as a vacation/rental property so we have no set timetable.
Houses have escalated in price so much in areas such as Chelan and Manson that I think the value move is to buy the land you want and build a new structure. Our friends bought at the exact right time and have a great view of the lake on a double lot and they put a giant pool on the second lot, very nice setup. They had previously owned a vacation condo in Chelan for years to escape Seattle and used it as a vacation rental as well.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:41 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Quote:
Be careful. Changes in setbacks from property lines, the lake, wetlands, or other things can render your lot unbuildable as it sits there. A permit application submittal is your "line in the sand" to avoid any changes. For example, you purchase a lot that is on the lake and is 150' deep with a 100' setback required from the lake to any structures. You hear that the setback will be increased to 150' as of Jan 1st, 2022, so you need to get your permit application in before that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington