Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 05:37 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,452,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Interesting...but here in Sequim according to the local paper yesterday's high temp was 89. Warm yes, but hardly a heat wave caused by climate change.
My source was U.S. Weather service, my thermometer, and how humans & dogs felt.

I don’t live in Sequim.

But you do you.

Do you have central a/c?

Edit, I just read you have a heat pump. Therefore you are thinking “ cooler”, you don’t really understand the ramifications of extreme, extended heatwaves. Try turning that heat pump off for the rest of this heat wave & see if that works for you. Also, if there is a longer, extended power outage see how that feels. Get in practice, there is a lot more of this ahead, flat-earther.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 06-27-2021 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 05:43 PM

6,429 posts, read 5,076,345 times
Just hit 108 in Issaquah. Lake Sammamish is closed apparently --- unfortunate but makes sense I guess, if someone passes out from the heat it's the park system's liability.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:20 PM

1,663 posts, read 883,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
If anyone had any doubt about human-caused climate change, this should convince them. It's happening so fast...really concerning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Interesting...but here in Sequim according to the local paper yesterday's high temp was 89. Warm yes, but hardly a heat wave caused by climate change.
You did set a record high today, and will again tomorrow, also you will be within a few degrees of breaking the all time high for Sequim of 99, set July 16, 1941. It's 107 in Quilcene at 4:29. The way everything in the atmosphere is set up right now, the Cascade West Slopes (Skykomish, North Bend, Enumclaw, ect) are going to get the worst of it Monday, with temps about 15 degrees higher than anything ever recorded in those areas.

And no, this was not caused by human climate change. A bunch of different things had to occur precisely as they did to make this kind of heat possible, and this time they did. However, such an occurrence is so rare that it's likely no person alive today will ever see a pattern like this ever again.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,087,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

Cite just one reputable source for the swill you're dishing out. (An entirely pointless request.)

The data I was referring to is here...it is the longest run data set on measurement of CO2 parts per million in the atmosphere.

https://gml.noaa.gov/ccgg/trends/

So what do you think?? An increase of 120 parts per million is the cause??

Old 06-27-2021, 10:16 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,087,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If pushing renewable energy in an effort to fight climate change is fraudulent, we still end up with cleaner air and water. Not to mention reduced cancer rates and eliminate foreign oil dependency and all the mess associated with that. Our local supply would cover the other industrial uses of oil easily.

I would certainly want all that regardless.

Not in the Pacific Northwest.

The Industrial Wind Areas in the Northwest do NOT replace electricity generated by fossil fuel generating stations.

They replace electricity generated by the Federal government and the Public Utility Districts that generate CO2 free electricity. AND they must spill and generate that electricity to save salmon runs in the northwest.

Due to the Democrats and the blame is squarely on them....the foreign utilities and Warren Buffet generate wind energy in the spring when the PUBLIC OWNED UTILITIES MUST generate electricity to save salmon runs. There is a MASSIVE surplus of electricity in the spring.

For the past decade BPA has been required to purchase CORPORATE wind generated electricity at three times the market rate, while PUBLICALLY owned utilities have to PAY CORPORATE UTILITIES to take the electricity.

Repeat in the northwest CORPORATE CO2 free electricity is being paid for by the public as its costs are significantly increased for PUBLIC CO2 free electricity. But then again, "we have the best government money can buy". AND Mr. Buffet and his friend have done bought it.

More info...here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2014/01/18/wind-energy-of-no-use-in-the-pacific-northwest/?sh=

https://washingtonstatewire.com/too-...t-2-7-million/

So we are only shipping MONEY to the CORPORATIONS while taking money from the public and it is still ALL CO2 free electricity!!!

After more than a decade of trying to convince the Democrats of this folly, the PUD's in eastern Washington have given up.

Instead of shipping electricity to California, and western Washington and Oregon they are going to start making hydrogen. A GREEN product. Douglas County PUD has not entered into long-term supply contracts with coastal utilities for this reason.

It does take a LOT of electricity to create hydrogen. And it will take a lot of electricity from the locally owned dams. Not much will be left over to share.

https://douglaspud.org/Pages/Renewab...dbreaking.aspx

Brief video overview....one reason to produce hydrogen is to reduce the wear and tear on the dams turbines due to Industrial Wind Areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41IaubFxcMM

At this point, it would be prudent for folks west of the Cascades to start thinking about where they are going to get their electricity in the near future.

But hey, we will be more than happy to send you hydrogen at a substantial marked up cost so you can construct and generate YOUR OWN electricity using fuel cells.

Or maybe you can put up those windmills off the Washington coast. It would be scenic to watch them spin as the sun slowly sets in the Pacific. I am sure it would be a great tourist draw.

And Mr. Buffet will be more than happy for having YOU pay for them.

Last edited by 509; 06-27-2021 at 10:36 PM..

Old 06-27-2021, 10:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 897,484 times
I hope the rest of the summer is a lot cooler than this, wow what a scorching weekend.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:59 AM

14,587 posts, read 12,269,648 times
Well, we're bracing for the last day here.... and hopefully a significant change tonight and tomorrow.

Us and the animals have all been dealing with it best we can.

The little old window AC unit we dug out of the garage is doing OK sitting in the window by my desk, blowing right ON me. Not adequate for this room, but better than nothing in this.
Attached Thumbnails
Hope you are ready for a heatwave-207028189_4547011621978084_7763345507916597348_n.jpg   Hope you are ready for a heatwave-181700123_319027623170111_6731518464433804172_n.jpg  

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 06-28-2021 at 08:08 AM..

Old 06-28-2021, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,713 posts, read 81,625,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, we're bracing for the last day here.... and hopefully a significant change tonight and tomorrow.

The little old window AC unit we dug out of the garage is doing OK sitting in the window by my desk, blowing right ON me. Not adequate for this room, but better than nothing in this.
Same here. Ours in the family room is only 6,000 BTUs and works great in normal 85-90 weather, but yesterday it got to 105 here and the poor thing ran all day on high just to keep it at 78-80. The good news is that it blows directly on the sofa and recliners so we felt it. I thought our huge Hydrangea was toast, wilted badly, but it sprang back overnight.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:25 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,178,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Yeah, my cats are 9 (twins) and I've been a bit worried. I do have AC in one room, master BR, so I turn that on. It's a portable I bought maybe five years ago and works pretty darn well for one room, all I need. My queen has a shady spot and sleeps during the day past few days, my tom goes down into the man cave which is partly built into a hillside thus stays a solid 15 degrees cooler than upstairs. Still warm but bearable.

Animals in barns...poor things. Well what can you do other than what rural people have done for centuries if not millennia for livestock. Beyond scope of this reply...

Old 06-28-2021, 09:05 AM

14,587 posts, read 12,269,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Yeah, my cats are 9 (twins) and I've been a bit worried. I do have AC in one room, master BR, so I turn that on. It's a portable I bought maybe five years ago and works pretty darn well for one room, all I need. My queen has a shady spot and sleeps during the day past few days, my tom goes down into the man cave which is partly built into a hillside thus stays a solid 15 degrees cooler than upstairs. Still warm but bearable.

Animals in barns...poor things. Well what can you do other than what rural people have done for centuries if not millennia for livestock. Beyond scope of this reply...
Yeah our cats are kinda melted in our bed and haven't moved much. I think they did their moving around overnight, but I slept through that, mostly.

The goats do OK. I'm pretty sure I've seen footage of goats in Africa who are enduring more than this... but it's definitely not fun for the sheep. Our sheep were sheared in April but they have at least an inch of wool on already. Horses deal with heat pretty well too. We just have to make sure they all get cool water a few times during the day. They all have good quality shade, if not in the lean-tos, they can go back into the trees.

Chickens are motoring around OK this morning, but they were reduced to panting last night.

We have an eagle tree in our pasture, and the eaglet was up there enduring last night too. I guess eagles live in hotter and drier places than here. But he's not leaving the nest yet, so not sure how he gets enough water out of what the parents bring back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington