Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 04:18 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 333,894 times

Advertisements

So I'm visiting the Olympic Peninsula. I've never been there. I studied some maps and webpages, such as state parks and tribal webpages. I see that Indian lands are still closed to outsiders due to covid. State parks seem alive and well. Here are some questions I have:

Is the discover pass being checked anywhere now that covid is loosening?

Where's a good place to eat, perhaps with fresh king crab or seafood?

Does La Push, Ruby Beach, Ocean Shores etc have grill and picnic areas to grill something without bringing your own grate?

Are the roads, such as 101 through the rainforest ever jammed up, or is traffic usually flowing during a nice saturday?

Is there any special place in Forks to see a touristy Twilight filmed location?

So far I been to Mt Baker, San Juan islands, Long Beach and look forward to seeing the iconic heart of Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 03:17 PM

862 posts, read 1,066,107 times
I'm looking for a cabin-like experience on the Pacific beach side of the OP. Need full ocean view and walk-on-beach access. Kitchen/kitchenette, 1bd/1ba, maybe fireplace.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:14 PM

When I was looking for at hotels I noticed a few cabin like rooms/ huts. I'm not sure about the extended stay ones.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:29 AM

6,398 posts, read 5,037,013 times
A few of my friends went out there recently and a guard wouldn't let them go to Cape Flattery unless they knew someone on the Neah Bay reservation.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
A few of my friends went out there recently and a guard wouldn't let them go to Cape Flattery unless they knew someone on the Neah Bay reservation.
I read that on the recent google reviews -how people drive way out there only to reach a gate that only allows tribal members who live there. This is nationwide, including the navajo nation in AZ. Same thing with Taholah, WA.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:33 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,678,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzdevil View Post
I read that on the recent google reviews -how people drive way out there only to reach a gate that only allows tribal members who live there. This is nationwide, including the navajo nation in AZ. Same thing with Taholah, WA.
There are signs up well before you reach the final gates, at least on the peninsula. La Push is on tribal land, so you can't go there.

Most beaches have picnic areas by the parking lot, some have grills and some don't. You might be able to scope out the ones you want to visit using satellite views from something like Google maps.

The state parks have person-controlled entry, so you can't sneak in without paying.

I don't know what Twilight sites you have in mind, I've never seen the movies so I don't know what is featured that you might want to see. There is a museum in Forks that supposedly has a lot of Twilight stuff, but I got the impression that Twilight tourism is pretty much over for the town

Old 05-25-2021, 11:15 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
I'm looking for a cabin-like experience on the Pacific beach side of the OP. Need full ocean view and walk-on-beach access. Kitchen/kitchenette, 1bd/1ba, maybe fireplace.
La Push has that. They have grates for grilling, too, IIRC. It's a nice experience out there; not overdeveloped, or anything like that; just scattered small cabins, sand, trees, beach. But I don't know if the Quileute Rez is open. The tribes are being very cautious about re-opening. Can't say that I blame them.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:23 PM

862 posts, read 1,066,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
La Push has that. They have grates for grilling, too, IIRC. It's a nice experience out there; not overdeveloped, or anything like that; just scattered small cabins, sand, trees, beach. But I don't know if the Quileute Rez is open. The tribes are being very cautious about re-opening. Can't say that I blame them.
Thanks. I will check on access, etc.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:02 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,388,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
There are signs up well before you reach the final gates, at least on the peninsula. La Push is on tribal land, so you can't go there.

[...]

I don't know what Twilight sites you have in mind, I've never seen the movies so I don't know what is featured that you might want to see. There is a museum in Forks that supposedly has a lot of Twilight stuff, but I got the impression that Twilight tourism is pretty much over for the town
Access to Second Beach is on reservation land and thus closed. Rialto Beach/Mora Campground and Third Beach are open. Shi-Shi Beach and Cape Flattery are closed.

Only opening shots for the Twilight series were filmed in the Forks/La Push area. Everything else was shot on Vancouver Island.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:22 PM

1,663 posts, read 879,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzdevil View Post
So I'm visiting the Olympic Peninsula. I've never been there. I studied some maps and webpages, such as state parks and tribal webpages. I see that Indian lands are still closed to outsiders due to covid. State parks seem alive and well. Here are some questions I have:

Are the roads, such as 101 through the rainforest ever jammed up, or is traffic usually flowing during a nice saturday?
So far I been to Mt Baker, San Juan islands, Long Beach and look forward to seeing the iconic heart of Washington.
US 101 usually doesn't have a lot of traffic, (although summer holiday weekends can be busy) but it only takes one slow car (especially around Lake Crescent where there are no places to pass) to gum things up. But as far as a city style traffic jam, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington