Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2021, 01:10 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times

Advertisements

I know circa 1990-91, the small city of Olympia already had a big punk/alternative rock scene, which Kurt Cobain was involved in (Sleater-Kinney and other riot grrl bands were famous products of that).

How far back has Olympia been that kind of town, with lots of local bands, art galleries and abundant public art, a general punk/DIY atmosphere? Evergreen State started up in 1967 --- was that where the local counterculture started, or did an existing counterculture set the stage for Evergreen State? Why there in particular as opposed to, say, Everett or Bremerton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 03:36 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
I'm not sure Olympia is/was intrinsically "cooler" than the other small towns you mention, or whether a couple bands made it big and brought a few others along with them for the ride. I'm not sure that vibe has continued through today, with all the issues and challenges facing Olympia right now, with the homeless issue, riots and vandalism downtown, COVID shutdowns... I wouldn't describe the downtown area has having abundant music or vibrant art scene right now. It's been a hard couple years.

I've grown up and lived most of my life in the Olympia area... been to all the old and new music venues during the 80's-90s until I got too old to hang out in bars *too often*, and yet I don't know the answer to your question.

I guess I'm impressed that anyone thinks Olympia was and might still be "cool". That's a good thing, IMHO. Hopefully it can be true.

I think the essence of the Cobain/Aberdeen/Olympia style was/is it's flannel and blue jeans grunge, unrelated and unmixing with artsy elements. Curt Cobain was not exactly the kind of customer most art galleries wanted in their shops. I think they were parallel elements.

And I personally don't think the music scene has ever had much to do with Evergreen State College. It's not actually a place locals go to or mix with... at least back in the days when I was hanging out. TESC is a long ways outside of downtown. It's not even really surrounded by normal college-type bars/clubs/food/stores/supportive businesses. It seems more like an odd cult in the woods than a college I identify them more with peace/no-war/no nukes protests in the 80s and 90s, that have morphed into the social justice/anarchist protests and riots of today. They don't add to the culture, play in bands or hang out in the bars, as a cultural influence they are more known for activism, disruption and vandalism, IMHO. At least in the circles I hung out in.

One thing that definitely feeds the past and potential for a future art/antique shop bar and music touristy culture downtown is a vibrant public dock where recreational boaters and travelers can walk and shop. Olympia is a good port of call for local tourist boaters, and an attractive crossroad and stopping point on I-5. Downtown has been hurt in the past couple years, for sure. In order for that kind of traffic and business to return, we need to be done with pandemic, and have a solution for the homeless/drug issue AND the frequent riots.

Lots of good things are happening in the area, lots of people moving here still, so that's good.

I'll be here trying to support efforts for improvement... we'll see! Curious to see what other locals will say. It's possible I'm too old to really *get* what's cool now.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-06-2021 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-07-2021, 01:41 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,741,440 times
I've only been here a bit over 5 years but yeah downtown was hit hard from covid. It's pretty dead now compared to what it was just a few years ago.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:52 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm not sure Olympia is/was intrinsically "cooler" than the other small towns you mention, or whether a couple bands made it big and brought a few others along with them for the ride. I'm not sure that vibe has continued through today, with all the issues and challenges facing Olympia right now, with the homeless issue, riots and vandalism downtown, COVID shutdowns... I wouldn't describe the downtown area has having abundant music or vibrant art scene right now. It's been a hard couple years.

I've grown up and lived most of my life in the Olympia area... been to all the old and new music venues during the 80's-90s until I got too old to hang out in bars *too often*, and yet I don't know the answer to your question.

I guess I'm impressed that anyone thinks Olympia was and might still be "cool". That's a good thing, IMHO. Hopefully it can be true.

I think the essence of the Cobain/Aberdeen/Olympia style was/is it's flannel and blue jeans grunge, unrelated and unmixing with artsy elements. Curt Cobain was not exactly the kind of customer most art galleries wanted in their shops. I think they were parallel elements.

And I personally don't think the music scene has ever had much to do with Evergreen State College. It's not actually a place locals go to or mix with... at least back in the days when I was hanging out. TESC is a long ways outside of downtown. It's not even really surrounded by normal college-type bars/clubs/food/stores/supportive businesses. It seems more like an odd cult in the woods than a college I identify them more with peace/no-war/no nukes protests in the 80s and 90s, that have morphed into the social justice/anarchist protests and riots of today. They don't add to the culture, play in bands or hang out in the bars, as a cultural influence they are more known for activism, disruption and vandalism, IMHO. At least in the circles I hung out in.

One thing that definitely feeds the past and potential for a future art/antique shop bar and music touristy culture downtown is a vibrant public dock where recreational boaters and travelers can walk and shop. Olympia is a good port of call for local tourist boaters, and an attractive crossroad and stopping point on I-5. Downtown has been hurt in the past couple years, for sure. In order for that kind of traffic and business to return, we need to be done with pandemic, and have a solution for the homeless/drug issue AND the frequent riots.

Lots of good things are happening in the area, lots of people moving here still, so that's good.

I'll be here trying to support efforts for improvement... we'll see! Curious to see what other locals will say. It's possible I'm too old to really *get* what's cool now.
I think you nailed it, Diana.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:10 AM

4,621 posts, read 3,007,630 times
Perhaps some "overflow" of creative types from Seattle / Portland who got weary of big-city living?

Old 11-01-2021, 05:58 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,946 times
I think Olympia is somewhat of an undiscovered gem. Even with covid this fall the DT area is relatively busy on weekend nights. The road construction on 4th and 5th sure doesn't help. Once the pandemic is on the wane I believe many of the closed retail stores downtown will start to be rented out again and within a year or two the liveliness will return.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:48 PM

306 posts, read 102,368 times
Olympia is similar to Seattle. A s#!thole of leftist bulls#!t, just not as bad ................ YET, but merrily on their way to close the gap.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:50 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,946 times
Back in Oly last month for a long weekend, downtown was surprisingly busy especially the restaurants.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:39 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Back in Oly last month for a long weekend, downtown was surprisingly busy especially the restaurants.

Good to hear! :-)

Old 04-14-2022, 10:56 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
I went to Evergreen in the early 80s. We students belonged to the town food co-op, and I remember frequenting a music venue somewhere downtown. There was a very cool store that carried the work of local artists next to the clam bucket restaurant downtown (forget it's name.) I also used the local public library. Many of us had internships with state government or in local professional offices and businesses. Beyond that I don't think we thought about the locals much at all. Do any students at any university anywhere think about the townies? I live in a college town now and rarely interact with students.

My thoughts about the local Oly townies back then were colored by this: I once was walking to downtown from my internship in a state office building when some locals in a pickup truck drove by and threw a beer bottle at me. It smashed on the sidewalk about a foot in front of me. I just kept walking.

So, from my point of view, Evergreen and the Greeners were cool. The Oly townies were - not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington