Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 08:28 PM

33 posts, read 31,181 times

Advertisements

I have made it to the 2nd round of interviews for a position in Allyn, WA. From looking at photos of the area to the west of the Sound, it looks like a beautiful area. I really appreciate the combination of mountain, greenery, and water views- especially coming from the brown/orange dust bowl that is Texas.

However, being male, 30's and single, I'm a little worried about my quality of life as far as the social/dating aspect. I'm also very big into the health/fitness scene and would like a high quality gym nearby.

How legitimate of a concern is this? Should I reconsider the opportunity? Any recommendations on what my best bet would be as far as cities to live in? The position pays around 6 figures, so my house budget would be around $250k-$275k. Rental budget would be about $1,200-$1,400 a month.

EDIT: I would like to keep my commute to under 20-25 minutes.

Last edited by 1mposter; 04-22-2017 at 08:48 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM

329 posts, read 471,555 times
We went there few months ago to check it out, its Beautiful... but there is not much out there at all.. But you are only about 25-30 minutes from tons of stuff in Silverdale and Gig Harbor..
Its still on our list of places to possibly move to..mostly because it is in our prices range as yours ( 250-275k) and I have seen some nice houses on Zillow in the past for that range.. plus we want to be a bit away from big city..

Old 04-23-2017, 03:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,622 posts, read 81,316,164 times
About half an hour to Silverdale, which has pretty much everything, and the same to Gig Harbor though it's closer in miles. I would definitely live in Silverdale, based on your needs, the extra 5-10 minutes over your desired commute will be well worth it. I'm amazed that Allyn has an employer paying that much.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Silverdale should work out for you.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:04 AM

301 posts, read 520,289 times

I agree with other posters. You probably don't want to live in Allyn/Grapeview itself as it caters more towards empty nesters and retirees.

I'd also throw in the Manette neighborhood of Bremerton. It seems to be a little more "singles friendly" than other areas of Kitsap County. Manette is safe and has a "quirky" vibe, but I mean that in a good way. The area around the Manette bridge is fun and walkable. It has good restaurants, boutiques, a brewery, a bakery, and amazing water views in walking distance.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 PM

33 posts, read 31,181 times
Original poster here. Thanks for the responses so far, it's now down to the final three for interviews and I'm starting to get excited.

Silverdale is an interesting recommendation, I would not have considered it otherwise as from the pictures and info I could find, it seems more family/suburban oriented. Would northern Tacoma be a killer commute? I was told to check out some of the neighborhoods around University of Pugent Sound.

How is the housing market in Kitsap County? I know Seattle is booming, as it is here in Dallas (up 10-15% a year for the last 6 years). We are seeing bidding wars on homes and they typically sell within 3-4 days if the are priced right. Is it similar there?

I've seen these updated, modern houses sell recently for what seem to be very reasonable prices, but I'm not sure if there are any "red flags" (flood zones? questionable neighborhoods?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/recentl...96_rect/11_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/recentl...ect/11_zm/3_p/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/recentl...ect/11_zm/5_p/

Last edited by 1mposter; 05-01-2017 at 11:51 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 PM

301 posts, read 520,289 times

Housing is booming in Kitsap County, too, especially as people are priced out of the housing market around Seattle and are willing to commute by ferry. Even rentals are hard to come by right now.

If you are willing to increase your commute to around 45-50 minutes one direction, but reverse traffic, and willing to pay a bridge toll (south bound only), the Ruston neighborhood of Tacoma would be a good fit for a single.

Good luck in your job prospect and search!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:45 PM

315 posts, read 256,737 times
I lived in Allyn and worked in Silverdale for a few years. The commute is exactly 30 minutes, and it's easy. Do not live in Allyn. There is no gym and most of the people who live there are much older than you. Tacoma would not be worth the commute, I don't think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington