Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,198 times

Advertisements

I think in terms of the OP's situation Portland suburbs are probably better because you have family closer, and Portland is just more manageable and laid back IMO. The Seattle metro is really becoming such a giant sprawling area really from Marysville all the way to Olympia that is one non-stop urban area. The congestion is pretty bad in the entire Seattle metro from Marysville to Tacoma. Stealth is correct it is worse than Portland (but Portland area is no cake walk with traffic the times I have been there). I think you can find cheaper housing in OR. Neither are cheap, but Seattle metro area is really moving up there in price fast. I would be very happy in OR overall but the income taxes would hurt. Try to put a numerical number on what your income taxes would be in OR vs. WA using a site like Salary Paycheck Calculator | Payroll Calculator | Paycheck City or something similar that estimates income taxes for each state. OR is 30% larger in land mass than WA but has only a little over half the population of WA. OR coast is nice to have closer. I think the Seattle metro area is a little more scenic visually the way you can see the Cascade range, Rainier, Puget Sound, the Olympics, ferry rides to islands/Kitsap. But OR is pretty good there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington