Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:22 PM

17,348 posts, read 12,311,581 times

Advertisements

Moved from southwest Ohio to the pseudo rural city of Battle Ground which is just north of Vancouver, WA area and absolutely love it out here. It's a good transition area for a midwesterner heh. Few things though:

Do not come out here without landing a job first.

If planning to rent the first year the market is crazy. Expect $1500+ for a 3 bedroom and expect landlords to want 3 times that in income. Or 3 times rent times number of months in lease in savings. And expect to search long and hard for the privilege of meeting those demands. 2 dogs and a cat will close most doors to you.

If buying plan for a minimum of $250k for a 3 bed single family house.

There's no real winter here. Just a continuation of a rainy fall. But you can visit snow on the mountains whenever you want. Even middle of summer.

Housing and medical costs are the major cost of living differences. It in my case anyway the reduced taxes make up the housing difference and the health costs have no impact on my employer health plan. So cost of living is actually pretty even.

Last edited by notnamed; 10-18-2016 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
It'll likely be cheaper for him to come out first, to apply for jobs, set-up interviews, etc., rather than moving everyone out here without a job.

What is your projected income? What is your housing budget and for what?
Projected income would hopefully be between $2500-3500/m just for my husband. Our housing income to buy would be around $150-200k unless he finds a really great paying job. Not sure what our options for renting will be only because of our pets.

We are thinking about filling out applications and scheduling interviews at the same time then flying out for interviews. I would tag along with the baby and explore housing options while he interviews. My sister volunteered to take care of older kiddos and pets while we fly out. Then plan a move as quickly as possible when he finds the right job.
We'll have about $15-20k in funds to cushion the traveling and move. Whatever is left can go into savings or as a down payment for a house.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 1,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
It'll likely be cheaper for him to come out first, to apply for jobs, set-up interviews, etc., rather than moving everyone out here without a job.

What is your projected income? What is your housing budget and for what?
oh and would prefer min 4 bed, 2 bath but we can made do with 3 bedrooms if there's an extra family room/den/office. With this many people, a 2 toilets or more house is a must for sure. 😆

Old 10-19-2016, 08:34 AM

735 posts, read 874,325 times
Seacove proved to be correct on this one, I was being optimistic, but will concede the defeat.

OP, not really sure where you can expect to make that kind of money and find a 4 bed 2 bath or 3 bed with bonus room sub $200k. Like I mentioned you are coming from a place where your dollar goes far, to a place that people tend to give up some expectations for the trade off living in this state.

Stealth seems to be our resident frugal ubermensch, maybe they'll chime in with some ideas.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington