Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM

14,507 posts, read 12,148,609 times

Advertisements

I don't get that, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 12:26 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,959,307 times
You want to talk light pollution. Sailing in the Carribbean you don't use the stars or even GPS to navigate anymore. Just know the rough direction and light signature of mid to large cities and hold a steady bearing.

Sailing from Miami to Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands? Just keep Miami behind you untill you pick up the Great Issac light. Then stay equidistant between the glow of Freeport and Nassau until Nassau is about 100 miles astern, then sail hard on the wind to the southeast until you see the glow from San Juan, keep that on your starboard quarter until you hit St. Thomas.

Columbus never had it so easy.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:14 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,536,156 times
^^^That sucks! But, it's the same way now far out into the desert. Just follow the city lights from hundreds of miles away....Vegas, Phoenix, Albuquerque...even El Centro.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
Given the choice between light and darkness... I'll take light.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:55 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Even in wilderness or far out to sea? Some places should be free of substantial manmade light. I hate to see a world that is all the same.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:40 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,621 times
Quote:
I could not disagree more. If I am in the middle of an urban area, then I guess I agree, but if I am on a boat in the Caribbean, or in the SoCal desert, or in rural Washington, then the last thing I want to see is some annoying light/haze emanating from tens or hundreds of miles away.

I like to get away from civilization, not be forever reminded of it. I just don't like people that much, I guess.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Even in wilderness or far out to sea? Some places should be free of substantial manmade light. I hate to see a world that is all the same.
In the middle of nowhere how would there be substantial man made light?

Old 01-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I could not disagree more. If I am in the middle of an urban area, then I guess I agree, but if I am on a boat in the Caribbean, or in the SoCal desert, or in rural Washington, then the last thing I want to see is some annoying light/haze emanating from tens or hundreds of miles away.

I like to get away from civilization, not be forever reminded of it. I just don't like people that much, I guess.
Try Alaska...

Just because you are light adverse doesn't mean I have to be in the dark...

The SF Bay Area is increasing lighting of monuments and with public support... the Bay Bridge lighting went away and there was an outcry big enough to bring it back...

Sometimes, on a clear night or when I have company, I drive to the lookout point in the Oakland Hills to marvel the lights that ring the bay and especially San Francisco and the bridges... really breathtaking to behold and a thing of beauty.... I have never had a single person say to me they wanted the lights to go out.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,944,146 times
Marty: “Talk to me, Rust.”

Rust: “There was a moment, I know, when I was under in the dark, that something… whatever I’d been reduced to, not even consciousness, just a vague awareness in the dark. I could feel my definitions fading. And beneath that darkness there was another kind—it was deeper—warm, like a substance. I could feel man, I knew, I knew my daughter waited for me, there. So clear. I could feel her. I could feel … I could feel the peace of my Pop, too. It was like I was part of everything that I have ever loved, and we were all, the three of us, just fading out. And all I had to do was let go, man. And I did. I said, ‘Darkness, yeah.’ and I disappeared. But I could still feel her love there. Even more than before. Nothing. Nothing but that love. And then I woke up.”

Rust breaks down, sobbing.

Marty: “Didn’t you tell me one time, dinner once, maybe, about how you used to ... you used to make up stories about the stars?”

Rust: “Yeah, that was in Alaska, under the night skies.”

Marty: “Yeah, you used to lay there and look up, at the stars?”

Rust: “Yeah, I think you remember how I never watched the TV until I was 17, so there wasn’t much to do up there but walk around, explore, and...”

Marty: “And look up at the stars and make up stories. Like what?”

Rust: “I tell you Marty I been up in that room looking out those windows every night here just thinking, it’s just one story. The oldest.”

Marty: “What’s that?”

Rust: “Light versus dark.”

Marty: “Well, I know we ain’t in Alaska, but it appears to me that the dark has a lot more territory.”

Rust: “Yeah, you’re right about that.”

Rust insists that Marty help him leave the hospital, and Marty agrees. As they head to the car, Rust makes one final point to his former partner.

Rust: “You’re looking at it wrong, the sky thing.”

Marty: “How’s that?”

Rust: “Well, once there was only dark. You ask me, the light’s winning.”

Old 01-25-2016, 07:31 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
Quote:
In the middle of nowhere how would there be substantial man made light?

Looms from big urban areas go not only far around but high up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington