Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 07:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Definitely agree there! I enjoy the occasional snow day, but more than a week or two and it gets old fast.
We actually looked at homes with a realtor several years ago, as potential retirement location. That was until she told us that Cle Elum gets an average annual snowfall of 60" and most years it's covered with snow from October-March. We enjoy the average 6" in 2-4 days of snow we get here in Sammamish, but that's enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 10:48 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,062,377 times
I never understood the attraction of Cle Elum.

I spent a lot of time there working. It is windy. It does snow. In many ways, you get the worse of both eastern and western Washington.

I think the only people that move there are those running away from the mess in Puget Sound, but still want to be close enough to the "mess" so they can quickly go back for day trips.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:26 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,906,498 times
Interesting area. I may have shared this before but my parents bought property along the Yakima River near Easton in I think 1969 or 70. It was supposed to be a luxury community/golf course. Well 50 years later it does have middle of the road golf course. And it does have some medium homes. But as usual the sales promises never came to be. It was billed as a luxury suburb of Seattle, but that was just hype. Today the area has a heartbeat, but not near what was promised.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Interesting area. I may have shared this before but my parents bought property along the Yakima River near Easton in I think 1969 or 70. It was supposed to be a luxury community/golf course. Well 50 years later it does have middle of the road golf course. And it does have some medium homes. But as usual the sales promises never came to be. It was billed as a luxury suburb of Seattle, but that was just hype. Today the area has a heartbeat, but not near what was promised.
I wrote the economic history of Kittitas County for a EIS.

Interesting reading. It was even more interesting writing it. The Kittitas County Supervisors asked for it in the EIS.

Basic story......DON'T TRUST ANYBODY from the Seattle area when they promise you the moon in terms of economic development.

Kittitias County has been a "economic colony" of King County for almost its entire existence.

But is all fairness, the residents of King County have done well ripping off the economic resources of Kittitas County for themselves.

Oh, I did warn the Kittitas County Commissioners that for economic reasons they did NOT want to become a suburb of King County!!! The Sherriff did want to put a gate up at Snoqualmie Pass, but his ilk was voted out of office by "urban refugees" moving over.

Last edited by 509; 11-26-2022 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-26-2022, 03:24 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,258,491 times
? A gate at Snoqualmie Pass? That’s a good way to get the National Guard sent to your municipal building.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
? A gate at Snoqualmie Pass? That’s a good way to get the National Guard sent to your municipal building.
We were at a business meeting in King County dealing with forest fire issues where the Kittitas County Sheriff was present.

Somebody in the audience mentioned how much they LOVED driving over to Kittitas County for recreational activities. At which point the Sheriff butted in and said, I want a gate at Snoqualmie Pass that I can control.

A law enforcement person once told me that the TWO people you don't want to **** off is a Federal judge and the County Sheriff.

We had a situation where the Washington State DOT did NOT want to close a state highway at request of the fire team due to a forest fire.

The County Sheriff said I can fix that for you. The highway was closed.

Between a Federal judge and a County Sheriff, I think that issue was settled with the civil rights problems in the south in the 1960's.

Otherwise, don't underestimate the legal authority of a County Sheriff.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:55 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,258,491 times
Ah, so for a reasonable and beneficial reason. Okay, that makes more sense.

Old 11-26-2022, 04:10 PM

That was not the same County Sheriff. It was a different county.

The first one, did NOT like anybody from western Washington.

Even years, later with some of the "mass arrests" events of western Washington residents in Kittitas County the comments from law enforcement indicated a distinct frustration with western Washington residents.

In all fairness, a high school group was told by law enforcement in KING COUNTY to go over and party in Kittitas County.

One Deputy Sheriff told me a kid told him "Well, I am going to get my dad, who is a lawyer to contest the charges AND I am never coming back to Kittiias County".

He answered..."exactly, thanks I never want to see you again after the court date".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington